Convert YCbcr (YCC) color space signal to RGB color space signal? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 15 Old 10-02-2012, 02:03 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Ive done some searches but I dont think this exists. Is there a way (via an adapter) to convert a YCbCr (YCC) signal to RGB signal?

Not to repeat my earlier thread but it seems that all 1186 3D media streamers (Micca EP950, prodigy) only output YCC color space and not RGB. This is a problem because my ridiculous Mitsubishi TV and 3D adapter (3DA-1) only accepts RGB color space. This means that when connected, the image these media players produce is very dark and washed out when connected via the 3D adapter.

Most devices, such as my xbox, cable box, 3D blu ray player, can output both YCC and RGB. Not the 1186 based media players that Ive tested so far.

So is there any way to convert the signal myself?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 10-03-2012, 12:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 29
Not positive if this is what you want, but look at this product:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/iDigi-RGB-Component-YUV-YPbPr-Coax-Toslink-to-HDMI-RGB-to-HDMI-Converter-/221023744651?pt=UK_Sound_Vision_Other&hash=item33760ab28b
post #3 of 15 Old 10-03-2012, 09:35 PM

Liked: 44
post #4 of 15 Old 10-04-2012, 05:12 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for posting. Unfortunatly, that wouldnt do it. Im not trying to convert from Component cables (red Green Blue) to HDMI but rather convert the color space format from YCC to RGB.

The adapter (which probably does not exist outside my imagination) would have one HDMI input and one HDMI output.
post #5 of 15 Old 10-04-2012, 06:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond Pucci View Post

Thanks for posting. Unfortunatly, that wouldnt do it. Im not trying to convert from Component cables (red Green Blue) to HDMI but rather convert the color space format from YCC to RGB.
The adapter (which probably does not exist outside my imagination) would have one HDMI input and one HDMI output.

It appeared to me that the cables were not the only thing that device converts:
Quote:
This unit offers a selection of colour space and adjustment to obtain the best picture quality.

Sounds to me like it will also convert the color space. Your Micca EP950 has component out, so connect it to this device, convert the color space, then connect to your TV via HDMI. What am I missing?
post #6 of 15 Old 10-04-2012, 07:45 AM - Thread Starter

Lee,

This is interesting. This description is exactly what I was thinking about.

The STDP2650 supports RGB and YCbCr colorimetric formats with color depth of 16, 12, 10, and 8 bits. This device features HDCP 1.3 content protection scheme with an embedded key option for secure transmission of digital audio-video content. It also operates as an HDCP repeater for the downstream sink.

and

Color space conversion – YUV to RGB and RGB to YUV

Trying to find a picture of it. It mentions a Display port input which I assume means a standard VGA input. For this to work, I would have to take the HDMI coming from the media player, convert it to VGA, put it through this adapter which then has an HDMI out which would convert the colorspace to RGB. At least I think that is how it would theoretically work.
post #7 of 15 Old 10-04-2012, 07:57 AM - Thread Starter

Nickels,

You are missing nothing! You are 100% correct, I forgot that the micca has component out. My only other concern is that it seems to only be HDMI v1.2 compliant and not 1.4 (which I believe I need for 3d). But I bet I can find the same type of device that will output HDMI 1.4. Im going to look now. Thanks!

Come to think of it however, component cables are not capable of carrying a 3D signal so I dont think this would work. It would have to be a device that can accept an HDMI 1.4 signal, convert the color space, and output an HDMI 1.4 signal.
post #8 of 15 Old 10-04-2012, 09:11 AM - Thread Starter

I found this on amazon and Im hoping it will do the trick.

http://www.amazon.com/J-Tech-Digital-Registered-Trademark-Multi-Functional/dp/B008VWGLXO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1349366933&sr=8-1&keywords=j+tech+digital+8+input

Im hoping that by either converting composite to HDMI or HDMI to HDMI, that the color space will be converted to RGB in the process which would do the trick.

I should get it in the mail tomorrow.
post #9 of 15 Old 10-04-2012, 11:47 AM

Liked: 18
A Lumagen Radiance video processor can do these conversions.
post #10 of 15 Old 10-05-2012, 08:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rfpublic View Post

A Lumagen Radiance video processor can do these conversions.

The one for sale on Amazon goes for $1600. At that price you might as well just buy a new TV!
post #11 of 15 Old 10-05-2012, 08:38 AM

Yeah those Lumagen Radiance Processors are worth more than my TV.

Im also dealing with this same issue (Mitsubishi 3DA-1). Im hopeful that when the new Sigma based media players come out, it may resolve the problem. Ive read from other posters with Sigma based media players that their Mitsubishi 3D adapter does not affect the image as it passes through. What stinks is that none of the current Sigma based players support 3D. I think the popcorn hour A-400 will be the first to do so. Im just waiting for when it is released.
post #12 of 15 Old 10-10-2012, 01:19 AM

so did this work for you?
post #13 of 15 Old 11-06-2012, 09:51 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I've heard that a Darbee Darblet converts all input colorspace to RGB, although there may have been a fix because people were complaining. It is not cheap, but at least you would also get the "clarity" enhancement in addition to the conversion to RGB (assuming it still will do that conversion of course). It is my understanding that it is 3D compatible, HDCP compatible, and it is simply HDMI to HDMI, so no need for funky conversions in between.

If someone knows if this works to fix the 3DA1 colorspace issue, please confirm. I am considering trying one myself.
post #14 of 15 Old 11-07-2012, 02:54 PM

It was a nicely built device but it did not do the trick. From what I remember, it was able to convert the signal ok but when playing a 3d Movie, it looked completely messed up.

I decided to return my Micca and pre-order a popcorn hour A-400. I found a you tube video of someone going through every menu within the A-400 and low and behold, it actually has a color space option which lets you select exactly what you need. Im very optimistic that this will work.

What I eventually realized that was all of the realtek based players I purchased, were all essentially the same unit with slight variations in the GUI, but nothing else. I decided to look at some sigma based media players and noticed that no one complained about compatibility issues with the 3DA-1. The only problem was, non of these units were 3D capable. Well, the A-400 is. So I pre-ordrered a month ago.

From what I understand, the units should ship out some time in November.
post #15 of 15 Old 11-08-2012, 09:05 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I have also found that I can power cycle the 3da1 and it will stop crushing blacks. Another power cycle or cycling 3d modes reintroduces black crush, so then have to power cycle again. Definitely not an ideal solution but it does help. This is while using a DTV hr21 which outputs YCC.
Reply 3D Tech Talk

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page