Stereoscopic 3D CAVE environment with 3D Vision technology - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 10-17-2012, 06:12 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

Now that Nvidia added support for Quad-Display on the new k5000 Quadro graphic card (and i hope also to those Kepler's that are still to come) i'm trying to figure out how to build a stereoscopic 3D CAVE projected system that uses NVidia 3D Vision Surround tech with both Direct 3D and OpenGL applications. The thing i want to do is something similar to the one in the link above, but much more complex.

On the Nvidia web site you can find out (about k5000 Quadro graphic card):

<<Quad-Display Support in the All-new display engine drives up to four displays simultaneously and fully supports the next generation Display Port 1.2 standard capable of resolutions such as 3840x2160 @60Hz, making it easy to deploy multiple displays across a desktop, build an expansive digital signage wall, or create a sophisticated stereoscopic 3D CAVE environment.>>

http://www.nvidia.co.uk/object/quadro-K5000-uk.html#pdpContent=1

Anyway, i'm not getting how i'm supposed to connect the graphic card to 3 (or even 4!) 3D Vision Ready projectors, as, for what i see, they all have VGA and/or HDMI inputs. I'm aware there's no DVI-1080p 3D Vision Ready projector on the market till now, and i can live whit that, but i thought there should be at least one DVI-720p (or about that) projector available! I'm also aware of the fact i can adapt a DVI-I to VGA with a standard adapter and that should work fine with 3D Vision. But what about the Display Ports on the graphic card? Not to talk about the DVI-D which seems really useless whit 3D Vision Ready projectors...

in the video above they've adapted the DVI ports of the GTX 590 to the HDMIs of Acer Projectors.

Let's consider other graphic cards, is it possible to adapt also DVIs or Display Ports to VGA or HDMI?

I'm really not getting the whole adapting thing...

Nicola
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 10-17-2012, 08:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 317
DisplayPort to HDMI adapter cables are readily available. (I use one with my laptop.) DVI to HDMI adapter cables are readily available, too. Both types are quite inexpensive.

Selden
post #3 of 11 Old 10-17-2012, 02:10 PM - Thread Starter

Yes, i'm aware there's a lot of adapters on the market. I'm just worried about the fact that with 3D Vision you can't just randomly adapt outputs...and this is even more true when talking about 3D Vision Surround.
post #4 of 11 Old 10-17-2012, 02:38 PM - Thread Starter

Got some news from NVidia support...it seems i can adapt either DVD-I or DP to VGA or HDMI and get my "generic" projected surround config to work.

mmmh...i'm not so confident, even if it's 720p...

Anyway NVidia costumer support said that "3D Vision surround is not supported on Quadro cards" that's why i say "generic". I'm wondering what that means...is he referring to the fact that the "brand" 3D Vision Surround is valid only for GeForce cards? Is this just a commercial distinction or there's some problem running Direct3D applications in full screen mode with Quadro cards whith a S3D surround config??
post #5 of 11 Old 10-17-2012, 02:39 PM
AVS Special Member

The digital video signals used by all three standards are identical. The only differences among the three standards are the connectors they use. The adapters usually are short cables which have one type of physical connector at one end and the other type at the other end. They don't contain any active components, so the video signals are unaffected. Of course, you do need to use high quality cables for long cable runs so that the digital signals aren't distorted. (The HDMI v1.4 standard defines the certified high quality versions of the cables as "High Speed". They're capable of carrying 1080p and 3D. "Standard Speed" cables are limited to 720p and 1080i.)

HDMI and DisplayPort provide digital audio during the "vertical retrace interval" on the same wires that carry the digital video. DVI doesn't specify audio, so it just ignores it.

Selden
post #6 of 11 Old 10-17-2012, 02:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quadro cards are optimized for the kinds of applications used in industrial and commercial work environments (e.g. Autodesk Inventor 3D CAD software). They have different firmware than is used in the consumer-grade GeForce gaming cards, although the graphics chips themselves supposedly are the same. This normally translates into different performance levels for various applications. In other words, some of the functionality used by 3D Vision Surround might be missing or might be slower than it needs to be.

Selden
post #7 of 11 Old 10-17-2012, 03:00 PM - Thread Starter

That's not always true. For example, with 3D Vision, if you want to get 1080p stereoscopic 3D trough a DP adapted to DVI Dual Link you need to use an active adapter, and only a few are officially supported!

http://nvidia.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/3125/~/what-displayport-to-dual-link-dvi-adapter-can-i-use-with-gtx690%3F

moreover the HDMI 1.4(a) standard assures 1080p stereoscopic 3D only in 24Hz per eye mode (Blu-ray films mode), and uses frame packaging which means 720p 60Hz per eye for gaming (Console gaming mode).
post #8 of 11 Old 10-17-2012, 03:06 PM - Thread Starter

Yes i know, that's why i'm going a Quadro based system. I need to use NVidia 3D Vision Surround tech with both Direct 3D and OpenGL applications.

Do you think i won't be able to run games properly in S3D surround mode with the Quadro card?
post #9 of 11 Old 04-28-2013, 11:47 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 62
I was wondering if you can help me.

Ive been looking for 3 projectors for a 3d vision surround setup but i can not find any that are in stock or still being made (acer h5360 original & optoma gt720). All the new projectors appear to be going 3dtv play instead and i dont think that works in surround mode and i think they run at 24 fps per second instead of the 120/60fps with 3d vision.

i was even looking at the aaxa 3d led showtime and thought maybe i can hack it to work with 3d vision. what is your advise. all i want is 3 projectors running in 3d surround.

TV: SONY 65" 4K X900 - AVR: DENON AVR x4000 - AMP: ROTEL RMB 1585 5Ch 200w - OPPO 103D BD PLAYER
CENTRE: KEF Q600c - FRONT L/R: KEF Q900 - WIDE FRONT L/R: KEF Q300
SURROUND L/R: KEF Q800DS's - SURROUND BACK L/R: MINX 21's
SUB: SVS PC13-ULTRA
post #10 of 11 Old 04-30-2013, 02:42 AM - Thread Starter

Hi, here is a complete list of 3D Vision Ready projectors:

http://www.nvidia.com/object/3d-vision-system-requirements.html

are you saying you can't find any of them in stock? Where are you from?
post #11 of 11 Old 05-20-2013, 12:40 PM

Hi Nicola,

I've often wanted to get three projectors and set them up in rear projection to build a CAVE as well; unfortunately, I don't know of any 3D projectors with display port 1.2. I currently play 3D games using Full-HD on three 27 inch Samsung monitors (S27A750D) via display port at a resolution of 5760x1080 @ 120hz (60 per eye).

For my setup I use Tridef and two AMD 7970 (ghz edition) cards in crossfire. I just had to make sure that the second card I purchased included at least three DP 1.2 ports.

Hopefully when the new video game consoles are released manufacturers will begin releasing displays with Fast HDMI or HDMI 2.0. If you do find display port projectors you may also need a Display Port 1.2 MST hub to increase your temporal resolution. Unfortunately, these have been demonstrated and reviewed but not available from retailers as of yet.
Reply 3D Tech Talk

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page