HDMI 1.3 receiver solution - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 14 Old 11-15-2012, 06:34 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 24
I own a Denon AVR 2309 which does not support HDMI 1.4 / 3D passthrough. My HTPC is sending out HDMI 1.4 throught my NVIDIA card. Where can I find a simple reliable splitter device or something like that so I can send my 3D video to my 3D Projector (JVC X70) and lossless DTS-MA / True-HD audio to my AVR?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 11-15-2012, 10:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 471 Post(s)
Liked: 976
I couldn't find such a thing about a year ago, so did a quick google and voila http://www.monoprice.com/home/news_detail.asp?news_id=60&s_keyword=

"I realize that somebody playing free music isn't as commercial as a hamburger stand. But is it because you can eat a hamburger and hold it in your hand and you can't do that with music? Is it too free to control?" - Don Van Vliet (aka Captain Beefheart) discussing commercial success in the music biz

post #3 of 14 Old 11-28-2012, 08:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
The Monoprice splitter doesn't quite do the job. The problem is that hdmi1.4 moved the audio information to a different place, so the hdmi1.3 receivers don't know what to to with the 1.4 hdmi signal. What we all need is a splitter that converts hdmi 1.4 lossless audio to hdmi 1.3 lossless audio - never mind the video. I haven't seen splitters like that, but would be glad to learn of one.
post #4 of 14 Old 11-28-2012, 08:13 PM
AVS Special Member

The Monoprice splitter doesn't quite do the job. The problem is that hdmi1.4 moved the audio information to a different place, so the hdmi1.3 receivers don't know what to to with the 1.4 hdmi signal. What we all need is a splitter that converts hdmi 1.4 lossless audio to hdmi 1.3 lossless audio - never mind the video. I haven't seen splitters like that, but would be glad to learn of one.
post #5 of 14 Old 12-03-2012, 11:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I'm in exactly the same situation.

Brand new Panasonic 65VT50
Onkyo 805 AVR (that I have no intention of replacing)\
PS3 (that I have no intention of replacing)

Here are the options to get 3D audio/video I seem to have been able to discern from reading the forums.

1. Run HDMI from the PS3 to the TV. Run optical from the PS3 to the AVR.
The limitations here are that I won't get the full lossless linear PCM stream I am used to sending to the AVR form the PS3. As a result I normally wouldn't leave it hooked up this way for non-3D movies which means moving cables around to watch 3D. This leaves me to solution 2.

2. Run an HDMI switcher (with one output going to the AVR for normal non-3D audio/video switching and the other going directly to the TV for 3D viewing) so that when I do what I describe in option 1, I at least don't have to move cables around and can get full lossless audio for non-3D content. However, I am not sure what switcher will handle this properly. Any 3D compatible switcher?

3. Find an HDMI splitter that will pass 3D Video to the TV and 1.3 lossless audio to the AVR. This splitter does not seem to exist.

Am I missing anything?
post #6 of 14 Old 12-03-2012, 12:29 PM
AVS Special Member

For solution #2 what I really need is an HDMI splitter, but one that is actually selectable for the output (a reverse switcher). My understanding is that a splitter won't work in this case because it will default to the lowest capability of both connected devices and therefore wouldn't pass 3D to the TV since the connected AVR wouldn't show up as 3D compatible. Is this correct?

What I really need is exactly the opposite of a switch so that with the PS3 output, I can specify if it goes to the TV (for 3D content) or the AVR for 2D content. I think people have mentioned a matrix switcher? Does that solve the auto-detection of 3D issue that the splitter above would have?
post #7 of 14 Old 12-04-2012, 07:07 AM

Liked: 10
Until I update my reciever I am running two blu ray players. One 2d - HDmi thru the receiver. The other 3d with hdmi to the monitor and coaxial to the receiver.

For the price of a 2d blu ray player, this may be more economical than a switch.
post #8 of 14 Old 12-04-2012, 11:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Panasonic made/makes 3D BD players with 2 HDMI outs, 1 -1.4 for audio and video to a 1.4 3D-capable display or receiver, and 1 - 1.3 audio only for use with older receivers. It's another alternative.

...Royce...

"I never drink...wine."
Bela Lugosi, DRACULA, 1931
post #9 of 14 Old 12-05-2012, 06:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by funktekk View Post

Until I update my reciever I am running two blu ray players. One 2d - HDmi thru the receiver. The other 3d with hdmi to the monitor and coaxial to the receiver.
For the price of a 2d blu ray player, this may be more economical than a switch.

Yes. For those of us reluctant to pay the HDMI annual upgrade incompatibility tax, this is a workable solution.
post #10 of 14 Old 12-05-2012, 07:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by funktekk View Post

Exactly what I did/do!wink.gif

Ed
post #11 of 14 Old 12-07-2012, 02:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Well I've decided to just go with swapping HDMI cables between the TV and AVR and using optical out when I want to do 3D content on my PS3. Can't justify the cost/complexity of adding a second BD player just for 3D.

I just wish there was simple splitter/switch that would work so I wouldn't have to swap the cables. Then it would only be a setting change on the PS3 (changing audio out from HDMI to Optical)
post #12 of 14 Old 12-15-2012, 07:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 52
I had the same issue. Tried a 1.4-compliant HDMI active spliiter but ran into the problem of audio defaulting to the lowest common denominator between my projector and my AVR, that is - stereo. I really wanted to enjoy both 3D and lossless audio.

So, I found a Panasonic DMP-BDT310 player from an Amazon partner that was listed as "Like New" but turned out to be actually new; $89 delivered. Has proven to be an outstanding solution. One HDMI output goes to the AVR and the other goes to a second HDMI input on the projector. Added bonus is that I can customize the settings of the second HDMI input on the projector for 3D.
post #13 of 14 Old 12-29-2012, 02:45 PM

Liked: 11
Can a oppo bdp103 be used to do this as it has two HDMI outputs for 1.3 audio and 1.4 video and it has two HDMI inputs for other devices... Its $500 but you also get a nice BD player out of the deal.
post #14 of 14 Old 12-29-2012, 03:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by splatone View Post

Can a oppo bdp103 be used to do this as it has two HDMI outputs for 1.3 audio and 1.4 video and it has two HDMI inputs for other devices... Its $500 but you also get a nice BD player out of the deal.

Another option is the Panasonic DMP-BDT310.

Edit: sorry for repeating info from my previous post...didn't realize it was an older thread.
Reply 3D Tech Talk

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page