Passive 1080p 120hz ??? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 11-21-2012, 03:23 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
With the 79XX AMD graphics cards now being capable of 1080p 120hz 3D over HDMI, are there any passive TV's that can accept the signal properly? Also, since passive TV's really only require 540 lines of resolution per eye, are there any games/cards that take advantage of this for passive and lighten the load put on the GPU by not rendering the full 1080p resolution?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 11-21-2012, 03:48 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I do not know any displays that currently supports the full bandwidth allowed by hdmi. They pretty much all stick to the hdmi 1.4a minimal specs in this regard.

I have seen examples of games that do half vertical resolution interlacing and the results are not good : the performance increase is very small but aliasing increases by a lot.
Games that do 3D interlacing for FPR displays properly all render full res and use the extra resolution as supersample antialiasing to reduce the aliasing effect of FPR displays. A few games forgot to do it and just use a line-discard method to create the interlaced pattern : the aliasing effect is really visible.
I don't know any graphics cards that do it themselves but the Tridef middleware recomended by AMD does have this feature (works with both Nvidia and AMD cards). I don't know if Nvidia 3D Vision for FPR displays does it ("optimized for geforce" program), but it's very probably that they do.

Passive 3D, forever !
My Full-HD dual-projector passive polarised 3D setup. (really out of date ! I need to update it some day...)

Reply 3D Tech Talk

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page