Question about SbS and TandB format display on my dlp - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 11-25-2012, 09:48 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I have searched around and not got a real answer here.

When a TV channel is broadcasting these formats and I activate the 3D mode on my 2009 Mitsubishi DLP, will it turn the left and right images into field sequential?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 11-25-2012, 12:13 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Ok, made it home and tuned to ESPN-3D, activated 3D mode and it still displays two images.

I am left even more confused about this technology. I guess I'll have to wait till I get my glasses tomorrow to see but how is that half-image going to show when using glasses?

How do these glasses work to get me full screen when it's really half?
post #3 of 7 Old 11-26-2012, 07:30 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Are your sure that your TV will accept 3D content in the format that it is receiving from ESPN? AFAIK it will only accept Checkerboard 3D video format.
The glasses work by showing the image for only one eye at a time.
post #4 of 7 Old 11-26-2012, 07:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Which set do you have and are you sure it supports t/b and SbS 3D? I know a lot of these older sets only support checkerboard 3D, so you need the 3DA-1 adapter to convert these other formats to checkerboard. If your set supports these modes you shouldn't see half-images in 3D mode, they should fill the screen and look sort of blurry.
post #5 of 7 Old 11-26-2012, 11:34 AM
GEP
Advanced Member

Liked: 17
Regardless of the age of the Mitsubsihi Rear Projection TV, it will DISPLAY 3D only as checkerboard. If the TV accepts T/B or SBS, it converts these to checkerboard. If the TV does not accept T/B or SBS and you are using the 3DA-1 or 3DC-1000, that adapter is converting the signals to checkerboard. 2009 models did not accept T/B or SBS so those models would required the adapter.

Checkerboard is like frame sequential but instead of full frame left eye followed by full frame right eye (frame sequential) it is checkerboard frame left eye (black squares of the checkerboard) followed by chckerboard frame right eye (red squares of the checkerboard).
post #6 of 7 Old 11-26-2012, 08:04 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 12
The Mits 3D RP HDTVs do not raw checkerboard. They upscale the 1/2 R checkerboard frames to full 1080p frames prior to diswplay. One advantage of Checkerboard is that if does the best job of up scaling to 1080p for each eye.
post #7 of 7 Old 11-27-2012, 11:38 AM
GEP
Advanced Member

Liked: 17
At no time does either eye see all 2,073,600 of a 1080p frame. As an example on line 1 the left eye sees only the odd number pixels (1,3,5,7 etc.) and on line 2 the left eye only sees the even numbered pixels (2,4,6,8 etc.). On line 3 the left eye is back to the odd numbered pixels. The right eye is always the oppostie. Right eye line 1 are the even numbered pixels, right eye line 2 are the odd numbered pixels, line 3 are back tot he even numbere pixels. This works with the sub-frame display at 120 Hz that "wobulation" works with.

Augerhandle in post #209 has a link to an exellent PDF that explains how DLPs with wobulation and Checkerboard 3D work. http://www.avsforum.com/t/1310594/samsung-3d-dlp-3dc-100s-3d/180
Reply 3D Tech Talk

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page