3D Blu-Ray Back Up - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 11-26-2012, 12:01 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have been backing up my standard Blu-Rays ever since they have come out. Now that I am getting into 3D Blu-Rays I would like to back them up as well. I prefer to go straight to ISO but for some reason I can't get playback with the 3D copies mounting them on a virtual drive. I know some of you are going to warn me about copyright infringement but there is absolutely no monetary gain for me by doing this. It is only to preserve my original copy.
Now the question is does anyone know why I can't successfully play an ISO copy of a 3D Blu-Ray using PowerDVD 12 Ultra mounting it with a virtual drive? It makes absolutely no since to me why they won't play back. I found on some forums where people are tearing the 3D Blu-Rays to pieces and putting them back together to play. That seems a waste of time. There has to be a better way to go through this process.
If anyone can shed any light on this I would appreciate it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 11-28-2012, 03:58 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Hmm, almost two days now and no responses? Okay then, I have a few observations:

1) There's one *reliable* and fairly easy method to back up a 3D Blu-Ray. Rip to ISO image and burn to a double-layer BD50. (BD50 blanks are pretty expensive).

I've tested DVDFab's option for re-encoding a 3D BD to BD25, both full disc and main movie. No go, although with full disc my LG standalone will load the menu, then freezes. I don't know of any other software that claims to be able to re-encode a 3D BD to a 3D BD on BD25.

2) PowerDVD has a history of trying to lock out playback from virtual drives. Almost certainly the result of pressure from members of the BD Consortium. PDVD needs to license their player, after all.

Anyway, AnyDVDHD and DVDFabPasskey had for ages an option for "PowerDVD virtual drive detected workaround". (Haven't looked lately to see if the option is still selectable).

I must have install discs (bundled with burners) for every version of PowerDVD since v.7, and it gets worse with every iteration. I confess I never bothered to install v.12 and test 3D playback, so I don't know for certain. Just mentioning the possibility.

Anyway, we're still in the early days of ripping 3D BDs. I suspect if 3D BD shows signs of staying power in the marketplace we'll see more software eventually.
post #3 of 3 Old 11-28-2012, 06:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Many of us view 3D bluRays from ISO images on hard drives using PowerDVD. Some are material we create ourselves and some are archives of discs copied under fair use.

You will need to mount the iso using either Daemon Tools lite or DVDFab Virtual Drive, but here is an important detail: DVD Fab Virtual Drive works much better with PowerDVD. When encoding the iso, if you have Daemon Tools running even just in the background, it makes your iso unreadable to PowerDVD. This plagued me for over a year when burning my own 3D creations in Sony Vegas. So either close out Daemon Tools entirely when creating your iso, or don't let it start up running at all. To close Daemon tools entirely, look for the tiny icon among those displayed on your task bar, right click on it, and close it. Better, still, command Daemon Tools to not load upon startup. Last I tried, DVDFab Virtual Drive did not give that problem, but as you note, PowerDVD is a moving target. Just be assured the problem occurs during iso creation, not during iso playback, and the problem can be solved by closing the virtual drive software during ISo creation.
Reply 3D Tech Talk

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page