Newbie to Gaming: 3D Vision and 3D Gaming - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 12-06-2012, 10:55 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi all. I bought a UN65ES8000 TV in August (love it) along with a Denon 2113ci AVR. I upgraded my HTPC and instead of using the nvidia 9300 integrated graphics on the mobo, I've added a GTX660 GeForce card. This was to ensure 3D Bluray playback via TMT5. I setup the 3D Stereoscopic in the Control Panel with the setup wizard and everything OK. I had two 3D HD resolutions to choose from - 1920x1080/24Hz and 1280x720/60Hz. Anyway, I chose the higher resolutions and lo and behold, my 3D Bluray playback via TMT5 works (near) flawlessly. I play a 3D Bluray disk, TNT5 mounts it, the TV senses that it's 3D, automatically goes into 3D mode, and goes back to 2D when the disk is ejected. Excellent.....However.....

I'm now stoked about playing around more with 3D content and I wanted to see what 3D gaming would look like. Disclaimer: I have never been a gamer, but I understand technology fairly well. Anyway, I installed Batman Arkham City - which is a game written specifically to take advantage of the 3D Vision drivers. I'm using the latest 306.97 drivers (and have installed the beta 310.xx drivers also for testing). When I start the game, the game setting is already set for "3D Vision Enabled", resolution is set for fullscreen 1920x1080 (I have tried other resolutions also) - all the default settings. However, I play the game, but the 3D is totally lame. I guess I can see a bit of depth, but certainly nothing that pops out of the screen and blows me away like a 3D Bluray. So here are my questions:

1. Being a total noob when it comes to gaming and having no one around to tell me otherwise, am I expecting too much from 3D gaming? Should things be popping out of the screen? From researching this online, this game (in particular) has had some rave comments about the 3D effects.

2. I have my HTPC connected via HDMI to my AVR which is connected to my TV via HDMI. Is there other software or hardware that is required to make 3D PC gaming work different than Bluray on TMT5? I see all this stuff on the nvidia site about 3D Vision kit with glasses and IR emitters and also 3DTV Play - but I can't understand it and all the info on the nvidia site and google is dated a couple years.

3. I notice that the driver settings have a lot of options greyed out. For example, I can use the 3D Stereoscopic section to enable and setup 3D. But things like the "Depth" slider, "Change 3D Laser Sight", "Keyboard Shortcuts" are all greyed out. Also, the 3D Display Type is hard set to "HD Bluray".

4. Also, should I be seeing two images in stereoscopic on the screen in the game (I don't). When I go to 3Dvisionlive.com, I think I should be able to view 3D content on there - I don't, I just see a lot of dual images that stay that way through the glasses with the tv in 3D mode.

I'm a novice to this, I've tried a lot of things and researched this online with no luck. It was time to ask someone. This may be a question for a gaming site (which I don't know any) or another forum on AVS - if so, please advise. Thanks once again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 12-09-2012, 01:19 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by petes457 View Post

1. Being a total noob when it comes to gaming and having no one around to tell me otherwise, am I expecting too much from 3D gaming? Should things be popping out of the screen? From researching this online, this game (in particular) has had some rave comments about the 3D effects.
2. I have my HTPC connected via HDMI to my AVR which is connected to my TV via HDMI. Is there other software or hardware that is required to make 3D PC gaming work different than Bluray on TMT5? I see all this stuff on the nvidia site about 3D Vision kit with glasses and IR emitters and also 3DTV Play - but I can't understand it and all the info on the nvidia site and google is dated a couple years.
3. I notice that the driver settings have a lot of options greyed out. For example, I can use the 3D Stereoscopic section to enable and setup 3D. But things like the "Depth" slider, "Change 3D Laser Sight", "Keyboard Shortcuts" are all greyed out. Also, the 3D Display Type is hard set to "HD Bluray".
4. Also, should I be seeing two images in stereoscopic on the screen in the game (I don't). When I go to 3Dvisionlive.com, I think I should be able to view 3D content on there - I don't, I just see a lot of dual images that stay that way through the glasses with the tv in 3D mode.
I'm a novice to this, I've tried a lot of things and researched this online with no luck. It was time to ask someone. This may be a question for a gaming site (which I don't know any) or another forum on AVS - if so, please advise. Thanks once again.

Hey Petes, I'll try to help you a bit.

A couple things before I get to your questions, which again, I'm not expert but have been fiddling with Nvidia 3d for a while. I can guarantee one thing, once you start down this path there isn't any going back to 2D!

a/ You might want to try the pre whql release drivers 310.70. Best get used to updating drivers as every once in a while they come out in a flurry, especially the beta drivers, as they address new games that come out.

b/ 3d Vision Live is quirky and for the longest time, would only work with Firefox. I kinda gave up on it after a while, however, once I finish my new build for my Sharp 80, I'll probably give it another shot.

Not sure if you've found this site:

https://www.3dvisionlive.com/gear-up

and the Nvidia forum:

https://forums.geforce.com/default/board/49/3d-vision/

Lots of smarter people than me in there and most are VERY helpful.

c/ I'm not sure if you have any Steam games, but they just came out of beta phase with "Big Picture". You can use a 360 controller with it. Looks cool.

d/ Still poke through the Nvidia forums, they were down for about 4-5 months, but back up now and the folks that hang out there are good. Here's another one to watch, look through, or ask a specific question:

https://forums.geforce.com/default/board/44/pc-games/

Anyway, snoop through there.

To get to, kinda, some of your questions:

1/ There aren't that many games that "pop" out of the screen. Most games have "depth" not popout. I believe constant popout makes your eyes cross and will give you a headache after a while. Yes, Batman Arkham City is supposed to be good, I haven't played that one.

Here's a site at Nvidia to check on games. >>>do your research at this site, and on the Nvidia forums before buying a game or you will drive yourself nuts!, I still don't follow that rule and drive myself nuts... smile.gif

http://www.nvidia.com/object/3d-vision-games.html

Now, another thing on games, some game have been tweaked by some great programmers, specifically to make some of the good 3d games, fantastic. Here's a site and you will notice their name pop up in the Nvidia forums:

http://helixmod.blogspot.com/

http://helixmod.wikispot.org/Gamelist

Here's another site to check out how games look, according to other users, be sure to click the Nvidia tab, since you're using that card:

http://www.mtbs3d.com/gg3d/index.php?sdr_dev=nVidia&sdr=all&grp_by=pos_gam_name&view=all

Don't get overly frustrated, I'm been fiddling with this for 4 years and it still ain't easy to figure it all out, but well worth it!

2/ You can NOT use the Nvidia glasses on your TV, the glasses are used primarily with PC monitors, and the NV glasses must use an emitter either built in to the monitor or external, the little cube you see in the pictures. With a 3D TV, you will use 3DTV Play and the glasses that came with your TV. You may need to purchase the 3dtv play software. on to #3

3/ I'm not sure but it may have something to do with either purchasing the software or having an emitter plugged in to the pc. I am currently building another pc right now and should have it done later tonight that I'm hooking up and building specifically for my Sharp and 3dtv gaming. My previous pc I had an emitter plugged in, just to have access to the other options. I can give more detail on this in 3-4 days. If I'm right, it may be worth just buying that little cube emitter. I see one on ebay for $45.

You might, again, not sure on this one, for gaming, go direct from the PC to the TV, bypassing the bluray. Actually, the more I think of it, ya, best to do that. I run hdmi direct to tv, and digital audio to my receiver. It's important to have your TV listed as approved also:...

Go here and look to see if your TV is listed:

http://www.nvidia.com/object/3dtv-play-system-requirements.html

4/ I believe you're talking about "side by side" or sbs? You have to view through an approved browser.

Anyway, I could ramble on for hours, but this should get you rolling along and even more confused... but it's fun!!!

Regards,
post #3 of 5 Old 12-09-2012, 01:38 PM

oh, if you want a GREAT 3D game, get a free Steam account and buy Trine 2. Unbelievable, and you can play with 1-3 players at home on the same tv.
post #4 of 5 Old 12-09-2012, 04:48 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 60
I think the simple solution here is, you didn't buy 3D TV Play. It's 40 bucks and is required to play games in 3D on a TV. You don't need the more expensive 3D Vision kit. The 3D in Batman wasn't impressive because...it was 2D!

By the way, I would recommend 1280x720 resolution when playing games in 3D. Due to limitations in HDMI, you can only get 24 frames per second with 1080p 3D.
post #5 of 5 Old 12-09-2012, 08:25 PM

Finally found the site for you if your TV isn't listed by Nvidia.

http://nvidia.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/2774
Reply 3D Tech Talk

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page