Help: problem with 3D-VIP 3D Displayer - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 58 Old 12-24-2012, 09:02 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi SGTVIDEO,

I have a Nintendo Wii attached and a cable tv box which is only attached by hdmi, as there is only one hdmi slot on my tv, I have take the cable tv hdmi out to connect PS3. Auto firmware update on PS3 is enabled through PS+ subscription. As for screen resolutions available 576p, 720p & 1080i are available. I will try your suggestions when I have chance in the next couple of days and let you know my findings. Have a good xmas!!

Gareth
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 58 Old 12-31-2012, 07:17 AM

Hi again SGTVIDEO,

So I tried all your suggested changes and still no change in the outcome. Without the displayer connected I can use 576p, 720p and 1080i resolutions. With the displayer connected you cannot change the resolution settings on the automatic scan, the screen will go black for about 30 secs and go back to automatic/custom screen. The only way to change screen resolution setting is through custom, but it will not pick-up the 3d. I tried with a 3d blu-ray disc but it would not allow me to play as my hardware was not 3d compatable, as you would expect. What do you know about HDCP, could that be a potential problem?. Also I know that the VIP 3d DISPLAYER has had firmware updates, I know without knowing the problem except maybe a compatability problem could it be fixed with a firmware update.

Cheers,
Gareth.
post #33 of 58 Old 01-01-2013, 08:41 AM
Advanced Member

I wouldn't be much help with HDCP or your sets implementation of it. It just adds to the pain with multiple devices installed.

Sometimes order of power-up has an effect. Your success using it on another set pretty much rules out the Displayer which has the last iteration of firmware about v1.3 I believe.

Have you tried powering up the TV as the last device? With your last attempts what was the status of the LEDs on the Displayer?
post #34 of 58 Old 01-01-2013, 09:23 AM

Hi SGTVIDEO,

As always the top 2 leds are lit, and i'm pretty sure I have already tried powering the tv last, i'm running out of different set-up tweaks.

Gareth.
post #35 of 58 Old 01-03-2013, 12:07 PM

Hi again SGTVIDEO,

I don't know if I have discovered anything of any interest in my problem but here goes,
When I press menu on my tv remote while just watching tv the options come up and at the bottom is 1080i, H:28kHz, V:50hz. When ps3 is connected up and custom display setting is set to 1080i, the same thing reads 1080i, H:33kHz, V:60hz. When ps3 is set to 720p in custom settings we read 720p, H:45kHz, V:60hz and finally when ps3 is set to 576p it reads 576p, H31kHz, V:50hz. I don't know if that means a lot to you, maybe it may confirm my tv is compatable or not.

Cheers,
Gareth.
post #36 of 58 Old 01-07-2013, 07:02 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked: 92
Hi,

I watched the youtube video you made showing the problem and that was very good.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ILebhsmaECw

I checked my PS3 and was surprised to see it DOES list 3D resolutions after the display setup. Sorry, I was confused about that for some time.

I really believe the entire problem is with the EDID of your TV but I'm not sure how to suggest fixing that.

Perhaps the HDMI doctor gizmo would work... I am about to go look that up.

-Brian
post #37 of 58 Old 01-07-2013, 07:40 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Found HDMI DR cheaper (by a few $) on ebay here...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dr-HDMI-doctor-hdmi-solve-all-HDMI-EDID-issues-/221166633715?pt=UK_Computing_Sound_Vision_Video_Cables_Adapters&hash=item337e8f02f3

By the way here are some thoughts I had after reviewing the video you posted.

1) Forget Auto detect. It doesn't work,... not even to the extent the custom settings work. The custom settings are getting closer.

2) Have you tried anything with DIP 1 up? Dip 1 down is the more compatible setting but it's only possible to be up and down and since the UK TVs are a bit different than what we have here in terms of scanning response... I would surely try a few things with DIP 1 up.

3) Using the custom settings, I would leave as many of the options checked as possible. You may even be able to check 1080p because your display may be able to accept it as a signal. The 3D-VIP will top out at 720 but when you are going through the settings the PS3 is negotiating with the display and it's possible a different set of capabilities would make a difference.

I have edited a EDID myself before and I don't at all remember why I did it or how I did it. I sort of remember it was the EDID of my HDFury and I edited to enhance it's compatibility. I can look around online for information about re-programming an EDID and see what I can find.

-Brian
post #38 of 58 Old 01-07-2013, 10:11 AM

Brian,

Thanks for havin a look, I think I have tried all different resolution settings with both dip up and down, with various resolution on and off, also tried checking 1080p but that doesnt seem to work either. The Dr HDMI link you sent is acually the one I found also, I asked if he would do a 30 day money back if it didnt work but he wasn't interested, so I may have to take a chance on it, what do you think. Started to read about EDID and other problems like handshaking and HDCP, it started to give me a headache!! I asked a hd fury forum about HDCP and they seemed to think that the Dr HDMI wouldnt cure that problem?

Gareth.
post #39 of 58 Old 01-07-2013, 10:48 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I believe it will solve the problem,... Wish I could confirm that for you beforehand of course.

Is anyone else selling the hdmi dr online? Maybe you could resell it on the bay if it doesn't work.

I'm certain the EDID is locking you out for actually no reason. It figures better safe than sorry I guess.

I like the idea of reprogramming the edid but its surely technical.

Heck, the hdmi dr device seems plenty technical too but it's designed to solve the issue you are having. (It was likely designed to help users with HDFury products but that is irrelevant.)

Your set has the proper abilities but its blocking the signal.

I'm more than 48.765889% sure the hdmi dr would be a slam dunk fix.
post #40 of 58 Old 01-07-2013, 11:00 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I saw this in the dr hdmi forum...
Hi there
Yes the dr hdmi should fix the problem. We offer a 30 day return if it does not work out for you.

So,... Looks like there is a place that offers return. Plus if you went to that forum it's filled with posts asking "will hdmi dr solve this problem" and they review all of them.

I think if you linked your video to them and showed how the ps3 sees a 3D capability and then doesn't see the 3D capability they would have an answer.

Plus bank 1 of the hdmi dr is said to emulate a edid with all 3D capabilities.

It really looks like it should help.
post #41 of 58 Old 01-07-2013, 12:31 PM

Cheers Brian, I also so that but i think its the US forum, the UK official re-seller is playing hardball, he lives within an hours drive from me, so may pay him a visit!!

Just checked out some of the edid reprogramming sites and threads, seems like a complicated task, would I be right?

Gaz
post #42 of 58 Old 01-07-2013, 02:11 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I figured it out once but I can't remember how or why I did it.
post #43 of 58 Old 01-08-2013, 07:42 AM
Advanced Member

I've looked through that Hitachi manual and browsed the internet regarding that model but I cannot confirm that Hitachi implemented ver 1.3 HDMI for that set. If it is not at least 1.3 that may be the root cause. It would need to accept HDMI 1.3 from the Displayer.
post #44 of 58 Old 01-09-2013, 03:20 AM

I also tried to find out if 1.3 is compatable, but no joy, i may email hitachi uk for more info, I know the tv is about 5 or 6 years old and we have never had a problem connecting any other devices to the tv, you maybe right. Surely Jonathans' and VIPs' claim that it works with all 50hz & 100hz tv is a long way from the mark, there must be plenty of older tvs' out there it musn't work with, yet not much tech info out there pre 1.3 hdmi?

Gaz
post #45 of 58 Old 01-09-2013, 05:24 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gareth 1970 View Post

I also tried to find out if 1.3 is compatable, but no joy, i may email hitachi uk for more info, I know the tv is about 5 or 6 years old and we have never had a problem connecting any other devices to the tv, you maybe right. Surely Jonathans' and VIPs' claim that it works with all 50hz & 100hz tv is a long way from the mark, there must be plenty of older tvs' out there it musn't work with, yet not much tech info out there pre 1.3 hdmi?
Gaz

Well I ran into a different problem with my own 3 year old 61" Samsung DLP TV in that it could not maintain frame lock with the 3D signal even though the set is marketed as 3D Ready which is a misnomer.

Most owners could get it to work with devices that outputted checkerboard 3D but to use it to accept frame pack 3D sync wasn't possible and Samsung didn't care.

I don't have any issues using the Displayer or Theater with my projectors or the recent plasma. So I don't think it is so much the 3DVIP design as it is the variances among manufacturers and their willingness if any to make corrections. The 120hz 3D is gorgeous on the little Acer 5360 projector, 60hz looks great other than flicker in brighter scenes on my Panasonic AE4000.

But the 3DVIP products in their specs show they accept HDMI 1.4A input and output 1.3a. If yours is actually a 1.2, which we cannot verify for now, it could place a limitation on a 3D signal as opposed to 2D. You would also have to question how much liberty some manufacturers take with the HDMI specification and whether the say it is certified or not.
post #46 of 58 Old 01-09-2013, 06:45 AM

So ideally if I was looking into buying a reasonably priced new tv, what specs to get the most and best out of the displayer would I be looking for? e.g, 50hz / 100hz, led, lcd, plasma, I presume full hd would be a must.

Cheers
post #47 of 58 Old 01-09-2013, 09:46 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

So ideally if I was looking into buying a reasonably priced new tv, what specs to get the most and best out of the displayer would I be looking for? e.g, 50hz / 100hz, led, lcd, plasma, I presume full hd would be a must.
Cheers

Make sure the TV of interestssupports the modes that are listed for the Displayers specs. Even then you will still be operating at 60hz at best, I don't know of any TV that supports true 120hz at it's input. The marketing specs of 120/240hz are internal upconverting not at the HDMI input so you will end up with a blank screen. There are a few projectors like the ACER 5360 that will accept a 120hz signal at the input. A 60hz there is some flicker which you probably noticed on your friends set when you tested over there.

The Displayer was primarily marketed for those without 3D capability for TVs and projectors barring any HDMI incompatibilities. Jonathan seems to favor plasmas for the best 3D from a set.

Will be interesting if you hear back from Hitachi on which ver. HDMI you have.
post #48 of 58 Old 01-09-2013, 02:02 PM

so does higher refresher rates improve the flicker problems, is that why plasma is Jonathans' screen of choice for the vip?
post #49 of 58 Old 01-09-2013, 04:11 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

so does higher refresher rates improve the flicker problems, is that why plasma is Jonathans' screen of choice for the vip?

It is not even present at 120hz. Higher the rate, less the eye can detect it. Also the perceived brightness level goes up as well. Another problem that can accent flicker is if you have other lighting sources intruding into the viewing area then the eye becomes distracted with the shuttering of the glasses which are causing the flicker.

It's been a while since I talked plasmas with Jonathan so I would like to wait until he returns so he can refresh me to give a more accurate report. He has tested all types LED, LCD, CRT proj. But there are not enough resources to prove every model such as in your case.

I ended up jumping on a sale at the local Sams Club where they had an LG 60" plasma for $800. Since they also had an acceptable return policy when installing it I immediately tested with the Theater and was very pleased that I had a direct view set to also view 3D. The LG has some adjustments that help reduce it's energy footprint and I operate it at about 46% or full rating. This set was not the 3D version which would have added another several hundred dollars to it's price if I had chosen a 3D model instead. There is also a 50" version of that set as well.

If you do get the bug to get another set make sure whoever you get it from will allow return or exchange so you can test. But I would still like to hear whether the unit you have is HDMI 1.3 or not. For now I can say the LG works fine with the 3DVIP processors.

LG 60PA6550
LG 50PA5500
post #50 of 58 Old 01-09-2013, 05:59 PM
Advanced Member

Gareth,

I forgot to ask you if you are setup for SKYPE.
post #51 of 58 Old 01-10-2013, 03:46 AM

Sorry not set up for skype,
I had reply this morning from HITACHI UK and quote "Unfortunately, the Hitachi 32LD8700ua incorporated first generation of PanelLink receivers that predated HDMI 1.3, and were designed for the HDMI 1.0 (High Definition Multimedia Interface) specification".
As it happens it was LG I was looking at, your screen size is a little big for my small lounge, the LG 42LS3450 was the tv I was looking at.
My HITACHI is now acting up and displaying defective screens and making funny noises, so it may be on its way out, wife keeps saying 'lets get it repaired', I say lets not bother, its not worth it. I only want displayer to work for ps3 really.
Just found LG42PA4500 its not full hd though, quite reasonably priced.
post #52 of 58 Old 01-11-2013, 06:11 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Sorry not set up for skype,
I had reply this morning from HITACHI UK and quote "Unfortunately, the Hitachi 32LD8700ua incorporated first generation of PanelLink receivers that predated HDMI 1.3, and were designed for the HDMI 1.0 (High Definition Multimedia Interface) specification".
As it happens it was LG I was looking at, your screen size is a little big for my small lounge, the LG 42LS3450 was the tv I was looking at.
My HITACHI is now acting up and displaying defective screens and making funny noises, so it may be on its way out, wife keeps saying 'lets get it repaired', I say lets not bother, its not worth it. I only want displayer to work for ps3 really.
Just found LG42PA4500 its not full hd though, quite reasonably priced.
Unfortunately HDMI 1.0 is not going to work.

LG42PA4500
It's HD specs:

HDMI™: 1080p/1080i/720p(HDMI 1080 24p) , Component: 1080p/1080i/720p, RF: 1080i/720p

Standard definition appears to be upscaled.

Also looks like it made Energy star rating as well.

If you are considering a purchase for 3D, then you would want the set that with the widest screen size relative to your viewing distance that is in the budget. So if 42" pretty much fills up your field of view that would be optimal. Is that one available locally with a good return policy?

For this set Dipswitch#1 would be set DOWN all others UP.
post #53 of 58 Old 01-11-2013, 08:57 AM

Its from a local supermarket, but still on look out, found a bargain on panasonic full hd plasma, http://www.electronicworldtv.co.uk/42_Panasonic_TXP42S30_Viera_Full_HD_1080p_Digital_Freeview_HD_Plasma_TV_2301_d
Still unsure whether LED or PLASMA
post #54 of 58 Old 01-17-2013, 03:18 PM
Advanced Member

Hi Gareth,

I brought up the question about Plasma vs. LED/LCD for 3D to Jonathan today.

Basically he said that between frames Plasma does not have quite the persistence of the previous frames compared to LCD/LED as their crystals take a bit longer to normalize.

I would have thought that Plasma persistence would be somewhat similar to CRT but for 3D it is not as much an issue. So the main advantage is that Plasma screens would produce
less ghosting effect at 60hz and this is made even better by peaking the RF transmitter for Plasma.

The other technologies will work fine as well but that is why he leans towards Plasma.

He also mentioned to try to lean towards LG Plasma as he has found zero issues with his 3D processors with that brand. He has had some with Samsung.

So keep that in mind if your still researching a purchase, would hate for you to go through this a second time.
post #55 of 58 Old 01-18-2013, 10:43 AM

Hi SGTVIDEO,

Thanks for that info, I have been looking at LG and Samsung actually, I will take your advice on the LG though. People seem to keep telling me to keep away from plasma, stating "its old tech" compared to LCD/LED, your opinion please if you have one?

Gareth.
post #56 of 58 Old 01-19-2013, 07:18 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Hi SGTVIDEO,

Thanks for that info, I have been looking at LG and Samsung actually, I will take your advice on the LG though. People seem to keep telling me to keep away from plasma, stating "its old tech" compared to LCD/LED, your opinion please if you have one?

Gareth.

It might be old tech but I obtained the plasma for the very reason of achieving maximum benefit of using it with the 3DVIP processor. There were no 60" LCD/LED in the $800 price point. IF a Plasma has less flicker compared to a LED why would I want one? LED's may be new tech but they can come with their own set of visual flaws that people point out when you look at model reviews of current owners.

If I wanted new tech then I would just forget the Displayer and buy a 3D LED with the compatible glasses in $1500+ category. Depends on what you consider cost to performance and results for the application you are obtaining it for.
post #57 of 58 Old 01-19-2013, 12:08 PM

Hi SGTVIDEO,

I think I have narrowed my seach down to 2 tvs, the LG 42PA4500 (Plasma) and the LG 42LS3450 (LCD/LED) Both tvs are of similar price but the problem is I can't find them setup anywhere to look a picture quality. Is it plasma screens all day for you? Just getting a bit confused now between them both, both have merits, the led is full hd, how much flicker with the vip displayer will there be on that model do you think, it is 100hz?
post #58 of 58 Old 01-20-2013, 08:00 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Hi SGTVIDEO,

I think I have narrowed my seach down to 2 tvs, the LG 42PA4500 (Plasma) and the LG 42LS3450 (LCD/LED) Both tvs are of similar price but the problem is I can't find them setup anywhere to look a picture quality. Is it plasma screens all day for you? Just getting a bit confused now between them both, both have merits, the led is full hd, how much flicker with the vip displayer will there be on that model do you think, it is 100hz?

For casual viewing I use a 32" LCD.

It may quote 100hz but you have to confirm that it will take a 100Hz signal at his primary input on the back. A lot of liberties are taken with these frequency specifications but mostly they are internal upscaling and not at the input. You will just end up with a blank screen if thats the case. More than likely you are confied to the 60hz setting of the Displayer with the majority of TVs. There are some projectors that will take 120Hz but you don't seem interested in that type of setup.

If I want a larger picture for something I would be more interested in, then yes I fire up the Plasma, sometimes for 3D. It it is a movie, depending on it's aspect ratio, an 88" 2.35 AR projection screen or 92" 16x9 screen for 3D or 2D.

I can operate the Plasma at 46% of it's power rating if necessary. The LEDs consume less power if that's primary concern.
Reply 3D Tech Talk

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page