Forum Jump: 

Old 12-12-2012, 05:35 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked: 95
Hi,

I sold a 3D VIP 3D Displayer to an AVS forum member in UK and he has trouble making it work.

He has a simple setup of 40GB PS3 to 3D Displayer to HITACHI 32LD8700 .

When he does the auto setup in display settings it doesn't work. When he chooses custom and deselects 1080p then it completes and asks him the screen size for 3D.

He says his friends ps3 follows that with a list of 3D resolutions,... Mine doesn't do that.

In my experience when the ps3 asks you for screen size that means its detected the working 3d display.

Perhaps he will add some information to the thread.

I haven't used my ps3 for a while and I've never used a uk ps3 so perhaps what he's saying is fully correct. I can't be there to help him set it up and I've never used his particular display.

Any help appreciated.

-Brian
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-13-2012, 07:54 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
He will need to add some information as we are not sure his firmware has been upgraded for 3D, it might be but not indicated in this thread.

Here are some notes even though I don't own a PS3:

1. PS3 needs the latest firmware to output Bluray 3D. Then you have to run the auto config. Don't do it manually. You know you did it right when it says you have a 3D display and to set the screen size which is for 3D game playing.

And/Or:

1. Make sure you've updated to the latest firmware.
2. Go to Settings => Display Settings => Video Output Settings.
3. Select Automatic - This will configure your PS3 to output whatever your display can support.
4. You'll be prompted that a 3D display has been detected and asked to input your screen size. Input your screen size and you're good to go.

On some people's PS3's I had to hold down the power buttun for an extended period of time to get it to recognize the new 3D display capabiliities.

At this point we don't know what he is or not seeing after performing those setup processes, so he will need to fill in the blanks.
Old 12-13-2012, 11:27 AM

Hi
I'm the man in the uk with the problem. My ps3 firmware is all up to date. My set-up is correct and all ps3 settings have been altered as per vip instruction. My tv as you know is a HITACHI 32LD8700 UA and my ps3 is a fat version (40gb up graded to a 120 gb). The tv is a 50hz hd ready 1080i and has 1 hdmi slot. As Brian says I bought this from him, there is no problem with the VIP Displayer as I have tested it on another tv with his ps3 and my own ps3 and it set-up no problems at all. My problems come when i go to DISPLAY SETTINGS>HDMI>AUTOMATIC. The screen will then go black/blank for about 30 secs then just come back to the same screen. I have tried changing various settings, I even wrote down all the display and video settings down from my friends ps3 and copied to my own, but still the same. If there is any advice out there I would be most grateful to you all!!!

Cheers,
Gareth.
Old 12-13-2012, 11:31 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I've been searching for PS3 and VIP tips and found mention of turning off 1080p@24.

I may have mentioned that already.

-Brian

edit- It would also be useful (if at all possible) to borrow something like a 3D capable blu ray player to test with your display. I'm thinking the detection process would be different and would give us a possible clue. I know such things have a high markup in UK.

edit 2 - Thanks Sgt Video for having a look at my thread. I don't know anyone more knowledge-able about VIP then perhaps Jonathan. biggrin.gif
Old 12-13-2012, 03:28 PM
Advanced Member

Hi Gareth,

During this process are you connected this way? If not indicate your connection points. It is assumed you have Dipswitch#1 DOWN and all others UP.

PS3>> HDMI>> DISPLAYER>>HDMI>>HITCHACHI

Also have you played regular 2D BluRay with the PS3 connected directly to the Hitachi? We need to prove the detection process works without the Displayer involved. Does the PS3 beep twice during the detection? Also verify that the Hitachi is remaining set on the HDMI input and not autoswitching to another video input for some odd reason.

At this point I can only suspect a handshake problem or the PS3 is outputting video in a unsupported mode. Your Hitachi from what I can glean from a quick read of the manual indicates (1366x768 max PC mode). The manual doesn't indicate any of the regular supported video modes which seems odd. I would hope it at least supported 1280x720P/50/60, perhaps you have better info.

Your confirmation with you friends TV that the difference is the TV itself. Let us know your findings.

Regards,
SgtVideo
Old 12-14-2012, 12:42 AM

Hi,

The set-up is as you say. Dip-switch 1 is down. I have used my tv and ps3 since the ps3 came out, so no problem there. The ps3 doesnt beep twice during detection. My tv doesnt autoswitch between other modes. My tv supports both 720p & 1080i formats. I found a product from hdfury called Dr HDMI which claims to problem solve hdmi problems and handshake problems, the guy here is not willing to do amoney back though if it doesn't work!! What do you think??? I have tried some of the typical 'easy set-up' issues with handshake, but nothing happened!

Cheers,
Gaz
Old 12-14-2012, 04:59 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Hi,

I read up the Dr HDMI and it's great for resolving EDID issues.

EDID is programming at the display side that communicates capabilities back to the signal path (roughly.)

My problem is you should never see the screen size question if everything isn't working already. I'm not doubting you, I just don't know what to think about that.

I tried using the 3D-VIP with a computer monitor through a DVI adapter. It would never work but it would never allow the 3D VIP into the signal path either. I believe that was a EDID, HDMI Handshake problem but with the 3D VIP in the signal path you could have nothing on the screen.

-Brian
Old 12-14-2012, 11:23 AM
Advanced Member

One thing I neglected to ask is the rating of the power supply you are using with the Displayer? Also what LEDs are lit when the attempt
to install is complete? It should provide 1000ma or better at 5vdc or it will likely malfunction. You should be using a dedicated power
supply or USB hub that can provide about 2-3 amps to multiple ports. If you are by chance using a USB port on the back of other
video devices they will generally be insufficient depending on design.

You indicated earlier that 1080p/24 is turned OFF and HDMI is set to automatic from following the VIP instructions.

If you do an internet search you will also find individuals encountering their own set of difficulties trying to get the HD Fury
work as well. I think for now you would be best served to continue working with the Displayer first before going down that
road.

Let me know about the questions above and if possible take a screenshot before and after and a photo of the Displayer LEDs.

The EDID of the Displayer should report it's available resolutions for use with your Hitachi to the PS3.

Here is a thread with a guy I worked with on the same issue and he ended up deviating from the Displayer instructions and got
it working:

http://www.curtpalme.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=27311&highlight=ps3

If we can't get you going in this thread Jonathan at 3DVIP will help you directly via Skype if you give him a time to connect. He
is a former UK chap as well.
Old 12-14-2012, 01:26 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Hi,

Been thinking about this all day and only just got back to a computer.

I didn't recognize the "two beeps" idea at first but then I remembered. Sgt Video is refering to turning on the PS3 by holding down the power button till it beeps twice on startup. This starts the PS3 in the most compatable mode and explores/detects the capabilities from there. It's an excellent idea. I would set everything up then unplug power to the ps3, tv, and vip and then give it all power and hold down the PS3 start button and go through the detection.

You will likely have to choose custom and turn off 1080p. If you choose screen size and can confirm then you should have 2 lights on. Power and Link.

From out previous PM's, I see you have 3D Video Games (I also have GT5). For the sake of troubleshooting,... I would try for plain video before games. The Displayer does either with no problem but the 3D videos on the PSN (which are free) won't playback in 2D and don't need any setup to playback in 3D.

Can you get a short, free, PSN 3D Video? You can DL them without the Displayer hooked up (though you have pass through so that's not a problem.)

I had a HDFury and it was great but the Dr HDMI looks complicated ... perhaps wonderful but it's a shot in the dark and I agree with Sgt Video that we can work more with the DIsplayer before resorting to that.

I have my PS3 in storage but I'm going to get it and set it up and update its FW if needed and go though the detection process to see if I'm correct to remember it doesn't show 3D resolutions.

-Brian
Old 12-14-2012, 01:52 PM

Hi SGTVIDEO,

The power I use is a 1amp 5v mains power source. So when its plugged in and hooked up to the ps3 the power light and link lights are on. The 3d light has never shone for me yet, I did read that guys thread before, as i probably have read most of them. I've also been in touch with Jonathan firstly about becoming a re-seller of vip products in the uk and have tried to get in touch with him about this problem but he's yet to get back to me. To make things worse my ps3 has YLOD today, will have to get new one over the weekend. My problem is with the display for some reason, very frustrated.

Cheers,
Gareth.
Old 12-14-2012, 01:58 PM

Hey Brian,
I did acually try that the other night, but didnt power everything down as you suggest, to add to my frustrations my ps3 is now dead, YLOD, I will have to invest in a new one this weekend. I agree about the Dr HDMI, it would have been ok if I could have tried it with money back offer, but he wasn't playing that game. Thanks again for all your help, it must be as frustrating for you as for me.

Cheers,
Gareth.
Old 12-14-2012, 02:20 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gareth 1970 View Post

Hi SGTVIDEO,
The power I use is a 1amp 5v mains power source. So when its plugged in and hooked up to the ps3 the power light and link lights are on. The 3d light has never shone for me yet, I did read that guys thread before, as i probably have read most of them. I've also been in touch with Jonathan firstly about becoming a re-seller of vip products in the uk and have tried to get in touch with him about this problem but he's yet to get back to me. To make things worse my ps3 has YLOD today, will have to get new one over the weekend. My problem is with the display for some reason, very frustrated.
Cheers,
Gareth.

Well up to this point I've covered the main items and you have verified them. With the PS3 out of service it would be hard to continue until you get a fresh one. Whether the
failure was developing and causing your issue is unknown. Did you try to go through 3DNow last year to be a reseller, I am doubtful that Jonathan could have made
arrangements when he was under contact with them to establish any resellers. From the looks of his web site it looks like that agreement has expired and his group is
back to their original direct marketing.

I occasionally do beta testing for them on some of their hardware and firmware but haven't done any of that with 3DVIPs involvement with 3DNow.

Sorry I am not more fluent on PS3s but hopefully Brian can verify what we are discussing with his own unit. Even though difficult, I believe you will get it working barring some defect.

BTW, you will not get a 3D LED lit on the Displayer until 3D content begins in the acceptable input forms as stated in it's documentation. Do you have a 3D BluRay movie to use for testing?
Old 12-14-2012, 02:35 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Sorry to hear about the ylod.

My 60gb got that about a week before the three year Walmart extended warranty ran out. So,... I was happy I paid $60 for that warranty. Mine got it just after running the uncharted demo which actually ylod-Ed a lot of launch day systems.

To bad your not here where a 3D blu ray player can be had uber cheap used,... But then again I don't know if you're interested so much in movies as games.
Old 12-15-2012, 03:47 AM

Hi again SGTVIDEO,

I spoke to Jonathan via email about becoming a re-seller only recently and he explained about the arrangement with 3dNow was coming to an end. He seemed to be slightly dissapointed that it hadn't been marketed a bit better, and I was just coming from the European and UK angle, that you really had to go quite deep into the www to even find out about the products, I only really stumbled upon it while maybe thinking about getting a 2d to 3d converter.I am only a simple Painter & Decorator but someone who runs his own business and was and still is very impressed with the concept of these products, If only I could get it too work !!!! I do not have a 3d Blu ray but will purchase one and hopefully we can sort out my problems. Many thanks for your help so far and the promptness of your replies.P.S, dont feel too sad about the ylod, its the 3rd time its happened, been repaired before but RIP to this machine now.

Cheers,
Gaz
Old 12-16-2012, 12:12 PM

Your annoying problem in the UK is back with a new PS3, but my hope of the problem being solved with a new model have been dashed, new playstation same problem. I took notice of the link light which was flashing on and off quite a bit when I was on DISPLAY SETTING>AUTOMATIC how ever just keeps coming back to the same AUTOMATIC screen, any new advice?
CUSTOM

Cheers,
Gaz.
Old 12-16-2012, 12:38 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Hi,

You can choose custom and complete the display setup,... Right?

I would do that then try one of the free 3D videos from the video side of PSN.

Let us know how that goes.

(I never thought the ps3 itself was at fault though that would have been nice. Glad you managed to get back into the game so to speak. )
Old 12-16-2012, 06:18 PM
Advanced Member

Well Jonathan has had incidents where individuals thought they had good power supplies but they really weren't as good as they thought. One guy
went through 3 different ones before getting one that worked.

Might explain why the LINK LED is erratic, it could be the only thing remaining. Do you have a powered USB Hub you could also power
the Displayer with? I use a 2.5amp Belkin four port hub for my Theater. I assume you used the same power supply when you tested it on your
friends TV?
Old 12-17-2012, 11:05 AM

Yes I did use the same power supply when i tested it on my friends tv, is it worth trying a different power supply in that case? I don't have a powered usb hub, is the belkin a good model, which model is it?
I also bought a cheap 3d blu-ray today, will be testing later.

Thanks,
Gareth
Old 12-17-2012, 12:16 PM
Advanced Member

Mine is a Belkin F5U23A 4-port powered hub but after checking the Belkin site it doesn't appear they offer it or an equivalent. Here is one that comes close and is usually of good quality:

http://www.microcenter.com/product/335175/7-Port_High_Speed_USB_Hub_w-_Power_Adapter

It would be better if you had a PC vendor nearby to be able to actually see the specs of the power supply included with the powered hub. Goal would be to find one that has 2000-3000ma so that it has reserve power. You can also use the multi port hubs to simultaneously charge multiple glasses. Not sure what you have available in your locale.

With the new BluRay you may need to go into it's menus and turn off any special video processing options that also may cause an unexpected issue. Let us know the make and nodel number so that I can review the manual to see if there is a possible suspect in it's menu if you wish. Initially do all your test with just three components and the shortest HDMI cables on hand, i.e. Bluray>>Displayer>>TV.
Old 12-17-2012, 12:42 PM

SGTVIDEO,

Is it important not to exceed 5v, I presume so,also sorry for confusion, I meant I'd bought a 3d movie not a player.
Old 12-18-2012, 11:35 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

SGTVIDEO,
Is it important not to exceed 5v, I presume so,also sorry for confusion, I meant I'd bought a 3d movie not a player.

Well if you are measuring with a meter, out of circuit, under no load, you may very well see a few volts above rating. Once it is
in circuit under load and begins regulating it will be approximately 5 and a few tenths volts. Avoid substituting a supply that may
be close in it's stated voltage like 6vdc.

Use supplies that state 5vdc in the 1000-2500ma (1-2.5amp) range.
Old 12-18-2012, 11:51 AM

Hi SGTVIDEO, Struggled a bit to find a mains powered usb hub, but still looking, found this one at http://uk.startech.com/Cards-Adapters/USB-2/Hub/4-Port-USB-20-Hub~ST4202USBGB, the input is 1000ma but output is 2a, is that something like I should be looking for?
Old 12-19-2012, 08:37 AM
Advanced Member

It looks right to me. I don't mean to send you out on a wild goose chase over power supplies but we are running low on any other suitable answer with the information
we have at hand.

It will come in handy otherwise for charging multiple glasses.

Have you been able to test with the new BluRay as yet?
Old 12-20-2012, 12:59 AM

Thats ok, it must be difficult to solve problems that you can't see from the other side of the world, I really appreciate all the help and advice. I have one of the hubs on order, pick-up Friday, had too order on-line, even the large chain pc stores here don't sell them with the specs we need.

Gaz.
Old 12-20-2012, 07:11 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Thats ok, it must be difficult to solve problems that you can't see from the other side of the world, I really appreciate all the help and advice. I have one of the hubs on order, pick-up Friday, had too order on-line, even the large chain pc stores here don't sell them with the specs we need.
Gaz.

It can be but when the user maintains persistence the success rate goes up.

If it also isn't inconvenient it may not hurt to test it again on your friends display just in case something has changed with the Displayer and verify
it's still good to go.

It may not be unusual for an HDMI connector to loosen on it's PC board, a few of those have happened. Just put some finger pressure on
it to see if there is any looseness developing. When assembly lines setup their boards for a run it takes a bit to get the wave soldering
equipment tolerances set up right, so some end up with weak joints and may pass initial inspection.
Old 12-21-2012, 01:48 AM

Hi SGTVIDEO,

Have recieved my powered usb hub and still got the same problems, nothing has changed, I am going to try one more power supply later and will take your advice about problem hdmi ports/connections. Is there a chance that the vip displayer just doesnt work with my tv for some reason? I'm going to a different friends house this weekend, he has 3 different tv's in his house, all of various ages and capabilities (all full hd or hd ready) will try there too.

Gareth.
Old 12-21-2012, 06:20 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SgtVideo View Post

It can be but when the user maintains persistence the success rate goes up.
If it also isn't inconvenient it may not hurt to test it again on your friends display just in case something has changed with the Displayer and verify
it's still good to go.
It may not be unusual for an HDMI connector to loosen on it's PC board, a few of those have happened. Just put some finger pressure on
it to see if there is any looseness developing. When assembly lines setup their boards for a run it takes a bit to get the wave soldering
equipment tolerances set up right, so some end up with weak joints and may pass initial inspection.

B carful if you start trying to put pressure on the tiny circuit board parts. I do believe the displayer itself is functional.

Good luck testing at your friends house. I hope you can at least spend a few minutes seeing what it can do.
Old 12-22-2012, 04:05 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Hi SGTVIDEO,
Have recieved my powered usb hub and still got the same problems, nothing has changed, I am going to try one more power supply later and will take your advice about problem hdmi ports/connections. Is there a chance that the vip displayer just doesnt work with my tv for some reason? I'm going to a different friends house this weekend, he has 3 different tv's in his house, all of various ages and capabilities (all full hd or hd ready) will try there too.
Gareth.

You can't rule it out, if you find it works well with other sets then there is a good chance there is probably some issue with HDMI. In my case I cannot use the Theater with my Samsung DLP set as it will not maintain frame lock and similar model sets have the same issue. It works fine with my projectors and plasma. If your pal has a set that works with it maybe he's in the mood for a new set and make you a deal.
Old 12-23-2012, 09:57 AM

Hi,

Just back from testing at my friends house, only had chance to test on 2 tv's. Firstly tried on an older hd ready 32" Samsung 1080i capability, probably 5-6 years old about the same as mine. Had the same outcome as on my tv, same problem. Tried next on his new (6 months old) 50" Panasonic Full HD and it worked excellent, very impressed with quality of 3d and that included having quite a lot of beer. So a mixed bag really, the other set I tried on a couple of weeks ago was also a newer set, I wonder if the age of the tv has got something to do with it. Is there going to be any way of getting the 3d displayer to work on my tv. I now believe to the best of my knowledge that its not a power issue, as it worked through my 5v 1000ma power adaptor. The only thing different is that on the 2 occasions it has worked for me, no devices were running through a power surge protector, as my own tv, ps3 etc run through a protector and my friends tv that it didnt work on was also running through a power surge protector, probably has nothing to do with it, maybe I'm just grasping at straws now. Just gutted now that I have seen it in action that I can't get it to work on my tv. If anybody has any more advice I would be very grateful.

Cheers all,
Gareth.
Old 12-23-2012, 04:12 PM
Advanced Member

Gareth,

Besides the Displayer are there any other input attachments to your Hitachi?

If so, remove and try again with just the Displayer between the PS3/BD player and the set.

Is automatic firmware update "Enabled or Disabled"?

When just using the PS3 with the Hitachi in 2D, what resolutions available does the PS3 report in that configuration?

With the Displayer removed, see if it is possible to force the PS3 into 720P mode only, if so, shutdown, then reinstall the Displayer, restart
and test with a 3D BluRay.

I am hoping to discover something by accident in case you haven't already tried it.