DLP Link Glasses vs. Infrared - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 12-20-2012, 10:27 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I just got a Mitsubishi DLP 3D rear projector and this will be my first experience with 3D technology. Mitsubishi recommends Xpand IR glasses but i am also curious about the DLP Link 3D technology. Both will work with my set.

Can anyone comment as to which technology might work better or have an edge over the other? I apologize if this has been discussed before in another thread.

Thanks!

Santiago.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 12-20-2012, 02:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Both are line of sight - as in you have to be facing the set for the glasses to sync. Turn your head, sync gone. IR seems to work from greater distances. Can you disable the DLP Link on your set? IF not, I recommend DLP Link glasses. Most IR glasses will not correctly block the DLP Link signal and you'll have tinted blacks. The DLP Link glasses will block the flash and you'll get better black colors. DLP Link glasses usually have issues if there are other light sources near the TV. That is all that I can think of at the moment.
post #3 of 9 Old 12-21-2012, 08:04 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the info, sounds like it's a toss up. It's too bad that everything has to be line of sight... Do you know if the glasses will re-sync on their own or do you have to stop everything and go through a set-up process after losing sync?
post #4 of 9 Old 12-21-2012, 10:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 29
They both resync quickly when you look back at the screen. YOu may just see some blinking for a brief moment. I believe you can get RF glasses and they are not line-of-site. Some of them even have IR dongles to convert the IR to RF.
post #5 of 9 Old 12-21-2012, 02:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 432 Post(s)
Liked: 229
Which Mitsu DLP did you get?

I have the 73740 and after going through 7-8 pairs of 3D goggles, I found these to have the best optics and to be (by far) the most comfortable:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0058SYDUW/ref=oh_details_o07_s01_i00

These were a very close second:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005V4YWVI/ref=oh_details_o04_s00_i01

I found the Xpands to be very uncomfortable and the optics not so great. I wear prescription glasses as well, so YMMV.

There was virtually no difference between the infrared and the DLP Link glasses in my experience as far as performance/synching goes.

AVR:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

FL/R:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

CC:

SUR:
SUB:
DISP:
post #6 of 9 Old 12-22-2012, 12:53 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan P View Post

Which Mitsu DLP did you get?
I have the 73740 and after going through 7-8 pairs of 3D goggles, I found these to have the best optics and to be (by far) the most comfortable:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0058SYDUW/ref=oh_details_o07_s01_i00
These were a very close second:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005V4YWVI/ref=oh_details_o04_s00_i01
I found the Xpands to be very uncomfortable and the optics not so great. I wear prescription glasses as well, so YMMV.
There was virtually no difference between the infrared and the DLP Link glasses in my experience as far as performance/synching goes.

I got the big boy 92"!! Model is WD-92742. I was told that for 3D viewing, the size really does matter and enhances the experience so I got the biggest display I could find short of a traditional projector.

I appreciate the recommendations and will look into those. I ordered a pair of DLP link glasses that had decent reviews before seeing your post. I ordered the following, any experience with them??

3D DLP Link Glasses - DLP2 Pro

http://www.amazon.com/3DTV-Corp%C2%AEDLP-LINK%C2%AE-Projectors-Samsung%C2%AE-Mitsubishi%C2%AE/dp/B008Z4566Q/ref=sr_1_3?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1356209116&sr=1-3&keywords=DLP2+Pro+glasses
post #7 of 9 Old 12-24-2012, 08:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 432 Post(s)
Liked: 229
Nope, didn't try those.

AVR:

FL/R:

CC:

SUR:
SUB:
DISP:
post #8 of 9 Old 12-27-2012, 09:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
I have both a Mitsubishi DLP WD-82740 and a DLP Benq W7000 projector and I uses these cheap 3D glasses and they work great. They are rechargeable and are simple and comfortable. I have tried a few different 3D glasses but these seem to work and feel the best.

http://www.amazon.com/SainSonic-SSZ-200DLW-Rechargeable-DLP-Link-Projector-White/dp/B007MYZE26/ref=sr_1_2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1356628533&sr=1-2&keywords=dlp+link+glasses
post #9 of 9 Old 12-27-2012, 12:16 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by curtishd View Post

I have both a Mitsubishi DLP WD-82740 and a DLP Benq W7000 projector and I uses these cheap 3D glasses and they work great. They are rechargeable and are simple and comfortable. I have tried a few different 3D glasses but these seem to work and feel the best.
http://www.amazon.com/SainSonic-SSZ-200DLW-Rechargeable-DLP-Link-Projector-White/dp/B007MYZE26/ref=sr_1_2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1356628533&sr=1-2&keywords=dlp+link+glasses

Thanks for the tip, those look nice and I like the fact that they are rechargeable. I need an extra pair so will give them a shot.
Reply 3D Tech Talk

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page