Will my old A/V Receiver "play" 3D? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 12-22-2012, 04:06 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Please pardon me if this is the wrong place to post this question. If I'm in the wrong place please redirect me to the correct section in the avs forum.

Will my old Sony STR DGS1200 show 3D content if I connect my 3D source to the receiver via HDMI and connect my 3D TV to the HDMI output of the receiver?

Thank you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 12-22-2012, 05:34 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpiad View Post

Please pardon me if this is the wrong place to post this question. If I'm in the wrong place please redirect me to the correct section in the avs forum.
Will my old Sony STR DGS1200 show 3D content if I connect my 3D source to the receiver via HDMI and connect my 3D TV to the HDMI output of the receiver?
Thank you.

The receiver must have 3D passthrough for it to work the way you want it to. You can always get a bluray player with two HDMI outputs so you can connect directly to the TV and to the receiver at the same time.
post #3 of 8 Old 12-22-2012, 06:31 PM - Thread Starter

OK... let me try and be more specific. Does anyone know if the Sony STR DG1200 receiver has HDMI 3D pass through capability?
post #4 of 8 Old 12-23-2012, 06:22 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 53
not likely if it dosn't say so in the spec's and its a 2009 model

Smart enough to know better, to old to care
post #5 of 8 Old 12-23-2012, 07:47 AM - Thread Starter

Its older than 2009 ...and specs don't mention it. I'm going to wire it up and see if it will pass the 3D video. Any idea, technically why the receiver won't pass the 3D? My old HDMI cables pass 3D - watched a movie last night with very old cables even though TV salesman tried to sell me new ones by saying old ones won't work. If my receiver won't work guess I'll be buying a new one. I'm an old retired civil engineer so electronics is not my speciality but I would like to know why the old unit won't pass 3D. I read up on the cables and saw the old 1.x nomenclature was changed. Also read that old cables can and do pass 3D and was hoping same for my A/V receiver so I could spend more $ on speakers rather than buying new receiver.
post #6 of 8 Old 12-23-2012, 11:22 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:

Its older than 2009 ...and specs don't mention it. I'm going to wire it up and see if it will pass the 3D video. Any idea, technically why the receiver won't pass the 3D? My old HDMI cables pass 3D - watched a movie last night with very old cables even though TV salesman tried to sell me new ones by saying old ones won't work. If my receiver won't work guess I'll be buying a new one. I'm an old retired civil engineer so electronics is not my speciality but I would like to know why the old unit won't pass 3D. I read up on the cables and saw the old 1.x nomenclature was changed. Also read that old cables can and do pass 3D and was hoping same for my A/V receiver so I could spend more $ on speakers rather than buying new receiver.

Since you have all the equipment ready to go, I would say give it a shot and see if it works.

Below is the official answer from HDMI.org about forward compatability of devices.

http://www.hdmi.org/manufacturer/hdmi_1_4/hdmi_1_4_faq.aspx#4

Can older HDMI (v.1.0 - 1.3) devices be firmware-upgraded to take advantage of the new features introduced in HDMI 1.4?
Probably not. Most of the new features introduced in HDMI 1.4 will require a new HDMI chip to enable, and cannot be upgraded via firmware.

The only devices that I know about that can be upgraded via firmware for 3D are the older Sony PS3s.
post #7 of 8 Old 12-24-2012, 06:39 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Very likely it won't pass but if you not interested in 7.1 audio you can do a work-around.

Assuming your playback device is a 3D compliant BluRay player as well the the Display. Just connect the player directly to the TV via HDMI. Then utilize whichever digital output from the player coax/optical and connect to your AVR. If your Display is not 3D compliant there are 3D processors that can give it that ability for instance 3D-VIP. The 3D processor would be placed between the player and the TV. Most displays will be operating at 60hz for 3D with some exceptions, so flicker will be encountered at that refresh rate.

http://www.3d-vip.com/#!home/mainPage
post #8 of 8 Old 12-24-2012, 07:46 AM - Thread Starter

SGTVideo- thanks for the work around. However; I am rebuilding a 7.1 system in a new house. I just purchased a 3D compliant TV and a have a 3D source. I've decided to bite the bullet and buy a 3D receiver with some additional features, i. e., 2 line level subwoofer outputs, etc. Someone is going to get a real cheap receiver on EBay if I can't find someone to give it to.

I was going to try and wire up my old receiver and try it out. But, I figured good time to upgrade...

Thanks all. Out here.
Reply 3D Tech Talk

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page