Very confused about my Mits wd-73738 & 3D - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 23 Old 12-28-2012, 10:09 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Good afternoon, I have currently been reading for a few hours last night and this morning on what is the best setup for me to use with my Mits 73738 3D. For Christmas my wife bought me a 3D player and I hooked it up and nothing. This prompted me to do some research and my tv is not compatible with what she got me. I went to Best Buy and they told me I had to order the Mits 3D starter kit. The thing is I just want to watch 3D movies in bluray.

My tv will do side by side, top/bottom or checkerboard, The glasses can do standard or reverse on the tv and the glasses control is ir emitter or dlp link. Seeing that all I want to do is enjoy 3d bluray what do I need? From my research I have come up with getting a ir emitter and glasses and a HDMI 1.4 cable with a bluray that can play in the sbs, t/b or checker. Also do some 3d movies not play in these versions?

Thank you for your time and I am sorry if this has been written about already.

Russell
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 Old 12-28-2012, 12:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
The standard for 3D Blu-Ray is Frame Packed... it's two images (one per eye) stacked on top of each other, each at full resolution, yielding a frame that is 1920 x 2205. Your TV doesn't support this format. The possible solutions are to either get the Mitsubishi 3D Starter Pack (which will convert Frame Packed to Checkerboard), or get a Panasonic 3D Blu-Ray player that can output SBS and Checkerboard natively... the BDP220 is a particularly good budget player with this feature (under $60 refurbished from Cowboom using the "Celebrate15" coupon code).

For glasses, you can get an external VESA IR emitter and compatible glasses, or DLP Link glasses... there are tons of inexpensive DLP Link glasses out there, so I would avoid the VESA IR emitter solution unless DLP Link doesn't work well for you for some particular reason (bright lights on while viewing, etc).

post #3 of 23 Old 12-28-2012, 12:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by grafking View Post

Good afternoon, I have currently been reading for a few hours last night and this morning on what is the best setup for me to use with my Mits 73738 3D. For Christmas my wife bought me a 3D player and I hooked it up and nothing. This prompted me to do some research and my tv is not compatible with what she got me. I went to Best Buy and they told me I had to order the Mits 3D starter kit. The thing is I just want to watch 3D movies in bluray.
My tv will do side by side, top/bottom or checkerboard, The glasses can do standard or reverse on the tv and the glasses control is ir emitter or dlp link. Seeing that all I want to do is enjoy 3d bluray what do I need? From my research I have come up with getting a ir emitter and glasses and a HDMI 1.4 cable with a bluray that can play in the sbs, t/b or checker. Also do some 3d movies not play in these versions?
Thank you for your time and I am sorry if this has been written about already.
Russell

I have the 60" version of your TV. All you need to do to enable compatibility with Full HD 3D (aka, "frame-packed"), is to update the TV's firmware to version 12.08. Here is a link to the page where you can download the firmware as well as instructions for performing the update: http://www.mitsubishi-tv.com/support/documents/WD-73738

Once you have done this, any 3D Blu-ray player set to output Full HD 3D will work with your TV. I would recommend that you purchase DLP Link glasses so that you don't need an external emitter. These are the ones that I use: http://www.amazon.com/Optoma-BG-ZD101-Glasses-Interchangeable-Pieces/dp/B003Q96CCC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1356727859&sr=8-1&keywords=DLP+link+glasses

Go into the TVs 3D menu and set the input where you have the Blu-ray player connected to "Automatic" and the type of glasses to "DLP Link". If you like, you can PM me with any questions you may have.
post #4 of 23 Old 12-28-2012, 10:27 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you very much. I hooked up my cable to my tv and downloaded something because my tv now can handle checker,top bottom and side to side. Was this the update u speak of? Is there a way for me to check this
post #5 of 23 Old 12-29-2012, 06:20 AM - Thread Starter

Is there a 3Dblue ray player that works best with dlp technology?
post #6 of 23 Old 12-29-2012, 02:20 PM
AVS Special Member

It looks like your TV automatically downloaded the firmware I was referring to. If you want to check the firmware version, press MENU on the TV's remote; in the lower left corner of the screen you should see the number 12.08, which is the latest version supporting all official 3D types including Full HD 3D. All 3D Blu-ray players should be compatible with your TV, so you don't really need to look for a specific model or brand.
post #7 of 23 Old 12-30-2012, 11:02 AM - Thread Starter

Do you think I should get the ir emitter and glasses or just stick with the dlp link glasses?
post #8 of 23 Old 12-30-2012, 01:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Do you think I should get the ir emitter and glasses or just stick with the dlp link glasses?

I would recommend that you stick with the DLP Link glasses. I tried the IR emitter and IR glasses, and found that some glasses lose sync far too easily. I have not had that problem with the DLP Link glasses.
post #9 of 23 Old 12-30-2012, 04:15 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you. I have been reading tons of posts on the best dlp but have not read of a clear winner. Are there a pair of glasses under 100 that clearly better than the others
post #10 of 23 Old 12-30-2012, 06:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thank you. I have been reading tons of posts on the best dlp but have not read of a clear winner. Are there a pair of glasses under 100 that clearly better than the others

Based on my own personal experience, the Optoma BG ZD101 performed much better than other brands. Yes, they are somewhat heavy and not very "stylish", but the way I see it (no pun intended) I'm only wearing them to watch 3D content in the privacy of my home, and not at a night out at the opera. wink.gif
post #11 of 23 Old 12-30-2012, 10:18 PM - Thread Starter

I completely get what u r saying. I am married I really don't care what I look like while watching a movie. Have you tried many of the other glasses?
post #12 of 23 Old 12-31-2012, 06:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I completely get what u r saying. I am married I really don't care what I look like while watching a movie. Have you tried many of the other glasses?

I played around with a few...most notably the ViewSonic PGD-250's and the Xpand X102 DLP-Link 3D Revolution Glasses. Didn't find the 3D images to be as "convincing" with the other brands as they are with the Optomas, but that is probably a matter of personal taste and visual acuity.

I think the most comfortable ones were the glasses that come with the Mitsubishi 3DC-1000 3D HDTV Starter Pack, but they only work with the external emitter and the converter, and became obsolete after Mitsubishi updated the TV's firmware for full compatibility with the Full HD 3D standard. Luckily, I didn't experience any issues returning the ones I didn't like to Amazon. wink.gif
post #13 of 23 Old 12-31-2012, 07:03 AM - Thread Starter

Optomas it is thank you very much
post #14 of 23 Old 12-31-2012, 01:34 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Just now came across this thread. Congratulations, grafking, on getting your problem resolved, and kudos to Rudy1 for providing you with exactly the right information to address the problem. I also have the Optoma ZD101 glasses and am in complete agreement that they will deliver the best 3D picture. Enjoy your setup!

One additional point for your 3D configuration: When you enable 3D via the menu, in addition to selecting "Automatic" and "DLP-Link" as mentioned earlier, you will also need to select "Reverse" for the Optoma glasses. This option will give you the correct left-eye right-eye display order on your Optoma active shutter glasses.

You are very lucky to have a xx738 model Mitsubishi DLP set as both it and the xx838 set support the firmware upgrade, whereas most other models would require the purchase of an adapter box (available either separately or as part of the Mitsubishi 3D starter pack). Mitsubishi has recently announced that it will no longer manufacture DLP rear-projection sets and has sold off their adapter boxes/starter kits to a third party. Unfortunately, as a result there is serious price-gouging currently going on. The adapter was previously available for $99 but now sells for $499. Ouch!
post #15 of 23 Old 01-01-2013, 09:35 AM - Thread Starter

I was deff shocked to see the starter kits costing so much. I thought this was old technology and I would get everything for cheap. Also do you think the pic and sound quality of a blu ray is better than the 1080p movies you can stream?
post #16 of 23 Old 01-01-2013, 10:15 AM
AVS Special Member

3D Blu-ray far surpasses anything you'll find on the streaming services. I have Vudu as well as Comcast OnDemand 3D, and they don't come close to the quality of BD. By the way, I didn't mention changing the setting on the DLP Link glasses because I find that the STANDARD setting works for me just fine. You'll want to experiment to see which setting (REVERSE or STANDARD) gives you the most pleasing 3D effect.

For your 3D Blu-ray viewing, may I recommend FINAL DESTINATION 5 (great pop out effects), PROMETHEUS (excellent depth), and of course AVATAR.
post #17 of 23 Old 01-01-2013, 11:20 AM - Thread Starter

My wife bought me Prometheus and Abe Lincoln Vampire Hunter. When I returned the 3D player to BB before I understood everything I left it in there so now I only have Prometheus. The 3d player says it converts 2d to 3d does it work the same as upconverting DVDs?
post #18 of 23 Old 01-01-2013, 11:32 AM
AVS Special Member

I have tested 2D to 3D conversion schemes on various TVs and BD players and it really only adds a tiny bit of depth at best....it was nothing like viewing actual 3D content.
post #19 of 23 Old 01-01-2013, 02:44 PM - Thread Starter

That's what I thought
post #20 of 23 Old 01-01-2013, 03:33 PM - Thread Starter

When you play the blu rays do you also have the blck box on the top ans bottom if screen? I think all blu ray is like this.o
post #21 of 23 Old 01-01-2013, 05:45 PM
AVS Special Member

The black bars at the top and bottom of the image only mean that the movie was shot in an aspect ratio wider than 16:9, which is the HDTV standard. The thickness of the bars varies from film to film, so it is advantageous to have a very large TV to display such images.
post #22 of 23 Old 01-01-2013, 07:22 PM - Thread Starter

I feel like I am getting cheated and I have a 73" tv. It sounds like a good enough reason to tell my wife when I want the 92"
post #23 of 23 Old 01-06-2013, 07:24 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudy1 View Post

I have tested 2D to 3D conversion schemes on various TVs and BD players and it really only adds a tiny bit of depth at best....it was nothing like viewing actual 3D content.

While I agree that the real-time 2D-to-3D conversion feature built into some HDTVs and Blu-ray players cannot begin to compete with actual 3D content, I think that this technology is improving and am willing to make a modest recommendation in this area.

The Panasonic 3D Blu-ray players are touted as having 2D-to-3D conversion, but the majority of commentators agree that the conversion is very poor.

Recent Samsung 3D Blu-ray players had fairly good 2D-to-3D conversion but with the most current models Samsung dropped this feature.

If you can pick up a Samsung BD-D6700 player on eBay or elsewhere, I think you'll find its 2D-to-3D conversion feature to be quite decent. This player uses DDD/Tridef technology for the conversion. I have one of these players and I find the faux 3D effect is impressive on certain movies. Peter Jackson's KING KONG or the Raimi SPIDERMAN movies would be examples.

In my own experience, the best 2D-to-3D conversion available right now is Cyberlink PowerDVD 12 Ultra, but configuring a home theater PC to use it can be a colossal pain.

I'm seeing more and more reviews mentioning how this technology is getting better -- an example would be comments about the conversion feature available in recent LG sets as well as some projectors such as the Mitsubishi HC7800D -- so I am hopeful that this technology will continue to improve over time. I sometimes enjoy watching a frequently-watched movie in converted 3D (THE WIZARD OF OZ is a recent example) for a "new take" on an old favorite.
Reply 3D Tech Talk

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page