Some prescription glasses break circular polarisation - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 01-06-2013, 02:33 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi!

My girlfriend and I went to see "Brave" together at a movie theatre, but for her this was a painful experience. She recently got new prescription glasses and now she couldn't see the 3D-effect at all! The glasses simply didn't do a thing for her. With her old prescription glasses she watched 3D movies before without problems but something about the new ones somehow broke the polarisation?

The technique used for 3D in that theatre is circular polarisation of the light, and it's very interesting how that works. I simply cannot work out how her glasses, used under the 3D glasses, could break this. To me it seems like her glasses come after the whole polarisation-depolarisation process.

Has anyone else had similar problems or could explain this phenomenon? Maybe even have a solution?

Thanks a lot!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 01-06-2013, 11:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 43
I imagine she bought glasses that already had some form of polarization on them, that was effectively cancelling out what the 3D glasses were trying to do. Are they Transitions lenses, by any chance? Polarization is usually an option only on sunglasses and not normal clear lenses. My clip-on sunglasses for my eyeglasses are polarized, as are the sunglasses I wear with my contacts, but my regular glasses are not.

Welcome to Rivendell, Mister Anderson.
post #3 of 3 Old 01-07-2013, 03:47 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
You can't undo what polarised glasses do. Because the filtered light is absorbed in the filters.
If your girlfriend's glasses were to interfere with the filtered light under the 3D glasses, she would see at best a single broken picture, at worst her entire view would be black.

I suspect a defective set of 3D glasses which doesn't filter 3D properly.

Passive 3D, forever !
My Full-HD dual-projector passive polarised 3D setup. (really out of date ! I need to update it some day...)

Reply 3D Tech Talk

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page