DLP and IR at the same time without DLP Flash - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 01-10-2013, 02:48 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
So it has been my understanding that using IR glasses with an external emitter when also having DLP link engaged, the IR glasses are unable to filter out the DLP Link Flash Frames and therefore it washes out the blacks and leaves a bluish to greenish tinge to the picture.

On the newer TV's that have internal IR emitters, has this been corrected so that IR glasses will shutter the glasses in both eyes to prevent noticing the DLP flash frames?

I am specifically using a Mitsibishi WD-82742 which I recently moved to from my WD-73737. I have some DLP glasses and I am thinking about getting a couple pairs of IR glasses that will work with the internal emitter on this TV but I still want to be able to use my DLP glasses at the same time. I do at least have the ability to disable DLP-Link on my new TV.

Maybe someone with experience or someone who has glasses that work with the internal emitter on the 742/842 series TV's can turn on DLP link with their glasses and let me know if your blacks are black or if they have a blue/green tinge due to seeing the DLP link flash screen? Thanks in advance.

Last Watched 3D: Oz the Great and Powerful

It should be called Violet-Ray

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-11-2013, 07:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 31
You can do this yourself pretty much. Put on a 3D movie - disable DLP Link, turn on 3D on your set, and look at the picture. Now pause it turn on DLP link and compare what it looks like now to what you just saw. Does it get a tinted hue? It should, and this will not be filtered out by most of the IR glasses on the market.
Old 01-11-2013, 10:45 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Are your sure that your TV also has an internal IR emitter and not just a connection for you to attach one?
The DLP Link light flash is not near the same frequency as the IR emitter signals and is also so fast it does not wash out the picture at all.
With an X742 model I do not know if you can enable the DLP Link and an IR emitter at the same time.
What make/model of glasses do you think work with the Internal IR emitter?
Old 01-14-2013, 10:55 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Well.... I can't do the test myself because the IR glasses I currently have are older Samsungs (Samsung SSG-2100AB) that work with the Mits adapter (3DC-1000) for 3D Ready TV's. Apparently the internal IR emitter is not compatible with this model of IR Glasses. There are glasses being sold from a few different companies that are compatible with the internal emitter on these TV's.

The only reason I am asking the question is because I thought maybe there was some logic installed on TV's with internal emitters that can send an IR message to block both shutters during the DLP flash frame. However it seems that maybe I am asking too much from the TV manufacturer to include such logic that would acually allow me to mix and match glasses.

The 742 and 842 series do have internal IR emitters and I have the ability to toggle the external, internal, and dlp link on/off and standard/reverse although I cannot see a reason why anyone would ever have the internal and external IR enabled at the same time.

Anyway, thanks for the input. After doing some testing between IR and DLP-Link the past few days, I have deviced just to purchase more DLP-Link glasses instead of trying to mix IR and DLP-Link. Even with DLP link disabled, the IR glasses just dont produce as sharp and detailed of an image and the blacks still aren't as deep. So as long as I don't encounter sync or connection issues with DLP-Link, for DLP TV's it seems this is the better route to go.

Last Watched 3D: Oz the Great and Powerful

It should be called Violet-Ray