What will do a better job, the TV or the Blu-Ray Player - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 01-27-2013, 04:52 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
So got my first 3d TV a few weeks ago, it has a 2D-3D conversion mode. My Panasonic Blu-Ray player also has a 2d-3d Conversion for DVDs.

I'm wondering what folks think will do a better job doing the conversion. Let the Blu-Ray player do the conversion or let the TV do the conversion.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 01-27-2013, 04:56 PM

Liked: 32
I, and everyone else will say the same thing. This is subjective. What is pleasing to one is a nightmare for another. Try it both ways, see if you notice an improvement or not and go with what YOU think is best for YOUR situation/viewing habits.
post #3 of 8 Old 01-27-2013, 06:03 PM

Liked: 37
I'll make a prediction: After playing around with on-the-fly 2D -> 3D conversion for awhile, you'll give it up. Like me and most everyone else.

While it can provide a little depth (depending on content), you'll see occasional weird effects like something pushed too far forward or back. The processor is, after all, making its best guess, and sometimes gets it wrong. I recall watching the coronation scene from ROTK, and the red silk around Aragorn's neck was pushed into the background. It looked momentarily like his head was detached from his body. That did it for me.tongue.gif

Nevertheless, yeah, try it each way and decide for yourself.
post #4 of 8 Old 01-28-2013, 05:55 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the info.
post #5 of 8 Old 01-28-2013, 06:37 AM

We used to sell a 2d-3d converter and most of the individuals who purchased them were less than thrilled with the conversion. They all seemed to be upset with the depth of the 3D images or lack of the depth.
post #6 of 8 Old 01-28-2013, 06:44 AM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 28
All 2D-to-3D converters are not created equal, and the conversion technology is improving. That said, I suspect you'll get better results from your TV than from the player. This opinion is based entirely on your mentioning that your player is a Panasonic. I've seen conversion results on two Panasonic players and was not impressed. I've also read several posts from Panasonic users who say that the player does nothing more than generate a double image of the entire picture, with no attempt to distinguish objects within a scene, so that the "3D" is nothing more than the illusion that the entire picture appears to be behind the TV screen.

You didn't mention the brand of TV. I've been surprised by the number of positive comments on the 2D-to-3D conversion in the latest LG passive 3D TVs. In fact, I haven't come across a single negative review.

My own 2D-to-3D conversion is software-based (home theater PC and PowerDVD 12 Ultra) and I can vouch for the fact that this technology is improving significantly. I wanted software-based conversion so that I could take advantage of any improvements without waiting for a firmware upgrade that might never come.

The technology has improved to the point where some movies look as if they were custom-converted. Some of the more impressive real-time conversions are with Peter Jackson's KING KONG, STARSHIP TROOPERS, and the Raimi SPIDERMANs. I've watched the SPIDERMAN 2 train fight between Spidey and Doc Ock dozens of times. And the Kong / T-Rex battle scenes are downright amazing in faux 3D -- I'd say they are the high point so far.

I'm curious about some of the "black boxes" like the 3D-Bee that seem to be getting good reviews.
post #7 of 8 Old 01-28-2013, 01:30 PM - Thread Starter

I do actually own a LG TV, its the LG 55LM8600, I guess I will take a DVD and try to watch it with both and see which does better.
post #8 of 8 Old 01-31-2013, 09:46 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 99
This is a double post, but it probably applies more here than the first thread I posted it to. smile.gif

I've seen a lot of 3D conversions in TVs and Blu-ray players. IMO, the LG is the best. I have an LG LM7600 passive set, and I enjoy watching conversions on it. It's conversion is better than my Samsung plasma and light years ahead of my Epson 6010's. It's almost as good as my 3D-Bee and in some scenes they're neck and neck. Since I shoot my own 3D, I'm almost never fooled by conversion, but for some distance shots I've taken with my JVC 3D camcorders (whose native lenses have a narrow interaxial spacing) the LG conversion (or 3D-Bee conversion) looks better than the native 3D. That's not the norm, of course, and it's not true for most close ups and medium shots, but that it works as well as it does is surprising for real time conversion. Any 2D to 3D converter is going to fail, and fail often, but it has its place. I enjoy it on my LG, despite its limitations, but I won't argue with anyone who says they don't like conversion. It's a very subjective experience.

Joe Clark

Reply 3D Tech Talk

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page