3D sets that convert any movie to 3D - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 13 Old 01-28-2013, 01:01 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I see some advertisements on 3D tv sets for sale that they claim it has the option of turning any 2D image into 3D. Is this true? If that is the case, how come we don't see some of the old classics transferred to 3D?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 01-28-2013, 11:13 PM

2D-3D conversion? My LG set has this feature, and it's pretty much crap. Gives certain content some depth, but it's nowhere close to being as good as true 3D. It's all hype, really.
post #3 of 13 Old 01-30-2013, 01:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 39
It's not bad for the kid's animation type content, but it doesn't come close to true 3d content.
post #4 of 13 Old 01-30-2013, 06:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
I have a new model Mitsubishi WD-82742 that has a 3D conversion option. They call it 2D+Depth and I have to say it looks pretty damn good. I've seen some of the previous generation offerings and they look pretty bad but this incarnation is on par with some of the less stellar true 3D Blu-Ray's I have watched and converts HD broadcasts to look as good if not better than many non HD 3D broadcasts.

Last Watched 3D: Oz the Great and Powerful

It should be called Violet-Ray

post #5 of 13 Old 01-30-2013, 06:36 PM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noel8 View Post

I see some advertisements on 3D tv sets for sale that they claim it has the option of turning any 2D image into 3D. Is this true? If that is the case, how come we don't see some of the old classics transferred to 3D?

THE WIZARD OF OZ is being converted to 3D. If it is a good conversion (TITANIC proved that it can be done), I would expect it to do well financially on re-release. Of course, if that happens, other classics will likely follow.
post #6 of 13 Old 01-30-2013, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD-8490 View Post

2D-3D conversion? My LG set has this feature, and it's pretty much crap. Gives certain content some depth, but it's nowhere close to being as good as true 3D. It's all hype, really.

On a related thread, I recently said "I've been surprised by the number of positive comments on the 2D-to-3D conversion in the latest LG passive 3D TVs. In fact, I haven't come across a single negative review." Oh, well...
post #7 of 13 Old 01-31-2013, 10:40 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked: 182
I've seen a lot of 3D conversions in TVs and Blu-ray players. IMO, the LG is the best. I have an LG LM7600 passive set, and I enjoy watching conversions on it. It's conversion is better than my Samsung plasma and light years ahead of my Epson 6010's. It's almost as good as my 3D-Bee and in some scenes they're neck and neck. Since I shoot my own 3D, I'm almost never fooled by conversion, but for some distance shots I've taken with my JVC 3D camcorders (whose native lenses have a narrow interaxial spacing) the LG conversion (or 3D-Bee conversion) looks better than the native 3D. That's not the norm, of course, and it's not true for close ups and most medium shots, but that it works as well as it does is surprising for real time conversion. Any 2D to 3D converter is going to fail, and fail often, but it has its place. I enjoy it on my LG, despite its limitations, but I won't argue with anyone who says they don't like conversion. It's a very subjective experience.

Joe Clark

post #8 of 13 Old 02-04-2013, 02:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 34
I have an LG and I find at best (tends to be with higher up shots of citiscapes with lots of buildings and or panorama and landscape shots) it's on part with some 2D-3D covnerted stuido release movies.

It does well on normal and predictable 3D scenes (ie ones in which the middle of the screen is far away, the bottom is close and there are lots of regular well definied objects, preferably panning slightly.

The shots I have been particularly impressed with are ones where the camera is on the ground shooting a wide shot. I recall several scenes in Looper looking very good in terms of 3D depth.

A lot of the time there is very little 3D going on, especially in close up dialogue shots where two faces take up the majority of the screen... Often times these will look a little odd also.

Worse case is when a bright light source is in teh background or an object has a brighter/ better defined area. These tend to pop out of the foreground in very odd ways.

I was watching some show in which people in uniform had badges on and the large, sharp badges were popping out in a very odd way.

So it's far from perfect but it's a fun way to add some depth to a show if you don't mind when it gets things wrong.

Now sports.. basketball and footbal... it seems to do quite a good job on those, especially again on wide angle shots. The players seem to stand off the field noteably (although again sometimes incorreclty) but overall since the scenes stay pretty simple I think those who watch a lot of sports may really enjoy the effect.

Overall I wouldn't let it sway you too much on buying a certain model, but I'm glad it's there in my set...

Monster Gold Plated Optical Cables: http://monstercable.com/productPage.asp?pin=1263

Awesome user review: "Unreal quality. Sounded like I upgraded my speakers." :D
post #9 of 13 Old 02-10-2013, 01:46 PM

The only time I use the 2D->3D conversion is when I am gaming. The PC I have hooked to my TV isn't powerful enough to do 3D so whenever I am playing a game I'll hit the conversion. It adds to the visual effect of the game pretty well. Not nearly as good as a game made for 3D I'd imagine, but I like it. Currently playing through the first Dead Space in 3D, makes me poop my pants even more than usual.
post #10 of 13 Old 02-13-2013, 10:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 36
I never touch 2D>3D autoconversion. On a scale of 1 to 10, Avatar and Hugo being 10 and 2D being 1, I would give autoconversion a -10.
post #11 of 13 Old 02-19-2013, 05:50 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I just watched 300 converted to 3D by Oppo 103. Results were surprisingly decent for upconversion.
post #12 of 13 Old 03-16-2013, 10:23 PM

Can anyone tell me if there are any budget projectors that do a 2D to 3D conversion? Is this even possible on a projector? I was going to buy the benq 1070 as it seems like the best 3d, 1080p projector for around 1k, but was wondering if there were any projectors in this price range that do the 2D to 3D conversion. I realize many people think it's gimmicy at best and others feel it's worthless, but when I tried it out at the local best buy (LG 7600 55inch led tv) I was really impressed. It made the basketball game come to life imo, and to be able to have a 3d image on any 2d programming would be awesome.
post #13 of 13 Old 03-18-2013, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samsung77 View Post

Can anyone tell me if there are any budget projectors that do a 2D to 3D conversion?

The new Acer H6510BD projector (which is taking forever to hit the stores) is supposed to have 2D-to-3D conversion. I suspect there will be a great deal of interest in this projector because of the popularity of its predecessor, the H9500BD (which also does 2D-to-3D conversion).
Reply 3D Tech Talk

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page