Best performing 3D Glasses? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 02-10-2013, 04:26 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I do not spend any time in this forum and have not followed any of the threads. At this point in 3D tech, which glasses are considered to be the best performing? Xpand 104's? MonsterVision XXX??, RealD's CE4's?? or some other model any of these guys. Not concerned with price, only performance. Will be used in front projection. Any comments are appreciated.

Jim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 02-16-2013, 09:35 PM

Liked: 10
i would also be very interested in knowing!
post #3 of 9 Old 02-17-2013, 01:53 AM
abs

Liked: 10
Does anyone know how the playstation 3d glasses compare to the xpand 104's as they can get the, quite cheap at the moment.
post #4 of 9 Old 03-07-2013, 03:59 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Well...after several weeks of investigating and testing, I got my answer.....for me, in my setup, it is the RealD EXXR emitter and CE4 glasses. Pricey, but works the best in my system.

Jim
post #5 of 9 Old 03-12-2013, 12:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 29
There is no one answer or global correct answer to this one. It depends on your set, lighting in the room, your head shape, do you wear glasses, etc. There may be a fantastic set of IR glasses out there, but on my set DLP Link glasses work better. There is probably a different answer for every 3D TV out there. So, even if I say XYZ glasses are the best for me, for you there is probably a better option.
post #6 of 9 Old 03-16-2013, 11:20 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by JlgLaw View Post

Well...after several weeks of investigating and testing, I got my answer.....for me, in my setup, it is the RealD EXXR emitter and CE4 glasses. Pricey, but works the best in my system.

Jim

Jim, do you know if these RealD glasses wil work with Sony projectors, such as the 1000es? Is the RealD emitter necessary or will it sync to the projector's ir emitter? If the EXXR emitter is necessary, how does it connect to your projector? Have you compared them to anything else ie. MonsterVision/Bit Cauldron/Optoma RF glasses? In what ways are they better?
Thanks
post #7 of 9 Old 03-17-2013, 01:20 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickels55 View Post

There is no one answer or global correct answer to this one. It depends on your set, lighting in the room, your head shape, do you wear glasses, etc. There may be a fantastic set of IR glasses out there, but on my set DLP Link glasses work better. There is probably a different answer for every 3D TV out there. So, even if I say XYZ glasses are the best for me, for you there is probably a better option.

If you are referring to the original question, fair enough, your comments have merit, BUT, I've spoken with several people that had brands other than RealD and after changing to the CE4's found less light loss, better contrast, better color, reduced ghosting (for the two that had any ghosting at all, I have none). They all had different projectors (no flat screens). I was asking the question in this forum hoping to gather more opinions on available glasses to add to the experiences of those I mentioned. I found after looking at the Expands and one other brand, the CE4's were the best performing (in my system) in the areas mentioned by those I spoke with.

If responding to my last post, please reread my post, wherein I acknowledge the RealD gear worked best in "my" system (DPI Titan Ref 660 3D, dedicated completely dark theatre....).

Jim
post #8 of 9 Old 03-17-2013, 01:41 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Rex View Post

Jim, do you know if these RealD glasses wil work with Sony projectors, such as the 1000es? Is the RealD emitter necessary or will it sync to the projector's ir emitter? If the EXXR emitter is necessary, how does it connect to your projector? Have you compared them to anything else ie. MonsterVision/Bit Cauldron/Optoma RF glasses? In what ways are they better?
Thanks

Sorry my friend, I have not tried them with the Sony. Perhaps the guys in the Sony 1000es Owner's thread have that answer. I wish I knew more about the technology but admittedly do not, so cannot say if you must use the EXXR. It connects directly to a 3D BNC input on my DPI Titan Ref 3D PJ. Given all of the different 3D glasses/emitter solutions in the marketplace, it is obvious that the poster above is correct in that there is no one "best" solution that would work in all setups. I only experienced the Monster's and Optoma's in other people's setups, not mine, so it would be unfair to comment. I do know this, I've seen probably a dozen different 3D systems with gear ranging in price from $6K to $80K and have not seen a better 3D image than I'm currently getting in my setup. Watching 3D with a net 20 ftL, great color and more than acceptable contrast has changed my mind about 3D. Other's that have seen what I'm describing, on my screen, find it jaw dropping, and I know the RealD gear is contributing in a big way to that performance. I also have to credit another Titan owner and forum friend for sending me in RealD's direction. He tried other's and found the CE4's worked best for him as well.

Not sure where you are, but I'd be happy to show you what I'm seeing, and if you want to test it with the Sony we can work something out. PM me if interested. (This setup is in Florida, just below Jacksonville.)

Jim
post #9 of 9 Old 03-18-2013, 04:28 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Your set up sounds amazing Jim. I am in the Northeast, so fairly far away. I appreciate your offer though smile.gif I will take a look on the 1000 thread and maybe call RealD to ask about the Sony's compatibility. I will post here if I learn anything. Thanks for the info.
Reply 3D Tech Talk

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page