Optoma GT700 + ASUS Radeon HD 6570: What glasses to buy? How do the link? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 14 Old 03-17-2013, 08:49 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
2 years ago I wrote a post but personal issues prevented me to even look at this, so I'm writing a new one as the old one seems closed.

I have an Optoma GT700 and a HTPC with an ASUS Radeon HD 6570 (EAH6570/DI/1GD3(LP)).

I want to watch 3D movies, and since Optoma is DLP-Link 3D Ready, and so is the Radeon, I'm supposed to just buy 3D glasses, but I have some doubts.

First doubt is, lets assume I get the right 3D glasses, how do I connect/link the glasses to the projector/radeon? And by the way, do they link to the projector, or to the card? Do I need an emitter of some kind?

Second question is, do I need to buy the Optoma glasses, or can I just get some others. I'm asking cause I want to buy 6 glasses, and the Optoma are about 60, but I have seen 20/30 dollar glasses on amazon.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 03-17-2013, 12:22 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 18
All we need now is someone who owns a Radeon video card, a "non-certified 3dvision" 3D ready projector (GT700), an hdmi cable, and a cheap pair of dlp link glasses to test it and give us the results. (hint hint.)
post #3 of 14 Old 03-17-2013, 12:30 PM - Thread Starter

Well I was hopping that somebody already tried, or that somebody knew the answer, at least theoretically.

Also, my second question is much more generic.
post #4 of 14 Old 03-17-2013, 12:58 PM

What I've found with dlp link glasses is that one brand may offer tremendous pop out and depth, while another may merely be so-so watching the same screen at the same time. Since there are infinite variables, the only way to be sure is to try them for yourself and find what pleases you the most.
post #5 of 14 Old 03-17-2013, 02:25 PM - Thread Starter

But the problem is that I do not even know which should work, and which shouldn't.

Also, do I need to buy an emitter of some type?
post #6 of 14 Old 03-17-2013, 02:47 PM

In theory you shouldn't need an emitter with Radeon and dlp link, but then again "in theory" is another name for bad advice. I guess we'll have to wait for some who has already tried it.
post #7 of 14 Old 03-17-2013, 03:33 PM - Thread Starter

Which ones of this definitively would NOT work with my config?

Samsung SSG-3050GB 3D Active Glasses NO mention of working with projectors on any of the reviews.
Samsung SSG-3550CR 3D Active Glasses NO mention of working with projectors on any of the reviews.
Samsung SSG-4100GB 3D Active Glasses One mention of not working with a Optoma projector. 12 mentions of working with various other projector brands.
Samsung SSG-5100GB 3D Active Glasses One mention of working with Epson projectors.
Sony PlayStation 3 3D Glasses About 17 mentions of working with various projectors (mostly Epson), and 1 of not working with ACER.
Sony TDG-BR250/B Rechargeable 3D Adult Glasses One mention of not working with Epson 3010 projector.
Okeba Active Shutter Rechargeable Glasses For ALL 3D Ready DLP Link Projectors+ One Key Chain Charm Strap At Random Color Four mentions of working with various projectors. Two of those are Optomas.
Okeba Ultralight Active Shutter Rechargeable Glasses For 3D DLP-LINK Projector They specifically mention optoma. Four mention of working with various projector.
SainSonic Galilei Series G901 Universal 3D Rechargeable Infrared Active Shutter Glasses For 2010-2011 Panasonic IR 3D HDTVs One mention of working with Epson projector, 5 that they do not work with Panasonic.
SainSonic SSZ-200DLB 144Hz 3D IR Active Rechargeable Shutter Glasses for 3D DLP-Link Ready Projector 12 mentions of working with various projectors. Two mention that they do work with optoma, two mentions that they do not.
SainSonic SSZ-200DLW 3D Active Rechargeable Shutter Glasses for DLP-Link Projector Ten mentions of working with various projectors. Four mention of working with Optoma projectors.
The two last SainSonic seem the be the more promising, as they say DLP Link Projector, but I have no idea of the rest, meaning, would they theoretically work?

Besides the SainSonic, another very interesting option is 4 pairs of UltraClear HD DLP Link Glasses for US 126 shipped, which is an excellent price, and they seem to work with any DLP unit, as per the description, so I contacted the company to ask.
post #8 of 14 Old 03-17-2013, 08:19 PM - Thread Starter

UPDATE: I asked UltraClear about the glases that they sell on amazon in packs of four, ant they told me that this glasses "are recommended for your projector as they run off of different operating speeds (faster or slower than the blue ones that only do 120hz)".

Since they sell both at $50 on their website, it doesn't seem that they would have an interest on selling one over the other.

Since the SainSonic are cheaper at about $35, they are still my top choice, because of price, and because they mention DLP on the description, but I'm still hopping that somebody would confirm either of the other brands.
post #9 of 14 Old 11-19-2013, 08:55 PM

Hi Kwanbis and anyone else out there that may be able to assist me :)

I have the same projector model and also want to watch 3D movies. Has anyone ended up working this out and if so, what is the set up?

I have been trying for a while to work it out. I can get the movies (SBS) to display correctly (overlapped) (also changed out 2 different Graphics cards thinking that they were the problem) currently running with Nvidia GT620 (the other one was an ATI Radeon 6450), but when i connect the glasses and turn the on, nothing happens.

I have enabled 3d in the projector set up (including turning on DLP lin and Auto Sync) and that side of things seem to be working fine. I have changed the resolution of the projector and screen resolution to be 720p @ 120Hz, still not picking up in 3D with glasses -

Note i also changed the software playing the movies to be DLP display..

Any help would be great. Want to show it off to the kids.

post #10 of 14 Old 11-20-2013, 05:07 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 23
The NVidia card will not output the 3D-ready video (frame-sequential 120Hz) that the projector would accept. You need either an 3D vision emitter, or an AMD card. The setting on the player is either AMD HD3D for TMT, or 120Hz Sequential for PowerDVD ("3D vision" for an NVidia setup). "DLP display" is for DLP TV's: checkerboard 3D, not recognized by the projector.

I run a GT720 off an AMD HD5450, TMT5, UltraClear DLP-link glasses (the first, blue model). Works and looks great.
post #11 of 14 Old 11-20-2013, 07:52 PM

Humm...

Thanks for the reply Roussi,

My original set up was similar to yours.

Using the GT700 i had the AMD HD6450 GC, TMT6 and optoma DLP link glasses (second set was a generic set from ebay - both do exactly the same thing when turning them on lenses go darker and that about it). Not sure what i am doing wrong. Can you give me a run down of your settings are in TMT and or your projector?

Would the surface of the wall have something to do with it. Projecting onto a wall not a screen.?

I appreciate your thoughts

post #12 of 14 Old 11-21-2013, 10:20 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 23
The wall doesn't matter, as based on your description the glasses work ok (my concern would be the wall not reflecting the sync flash well enough).

Everything else you desribe looks right; TMT's Display [Environment/Type?] setting under the 3D tab shall be set to "AMD HD3D". It you don't have this option (or it is greyed out), then you have a problem with your software environment: video driver or TMT6. Updating/reinstalling one or both may address that. Unfortunately, my experience with TMT5 has shown it to be unstable, and it lost 3D on a few occasions, but it was with the 3DTV, not the projector.

I assume you tried with the projector being the only display, without a connection to a receiver, or anything else that may not be 3D-compatible.

Also, another detail - my projector is connected to the DVI port through an AMD HDMI adaptor. The HDMI port is connected to the AVR/3DTV, providing a 3D-compatible chain for the audio.
post #13 of 14 Old 11-21-2013, 03:26 PM

The settings under the 3D tab are not greyed out. I have had it selected to DLP 3D ready TV.

I will change to AMD HD3D (if it is available) and give that a try when i change out the Graphics cards and reinstall the latest drivers again.

I am not running it through a AVR, Audio is conected directly to the optical out on my HTPC. running HDMI from the graphics card to the projector. nothing else connected.

I will also try andd run DVI from PC to projector rather than HDMI and see if this makes a difference.

post #14 of 14 Old 11-22-2013, 09:12 PM

ok....

Finally got it working :) Yay. Kids are having a ball.. Me as well. Watched Aliens last night, give a whole new perspective watching movies at home.

Roussi, a big thanks for your assistance. From what I can tell, it turned out to be both a software issue and the sync flash (projecting on a better wall)as you suggested.

I swapped out the Nvidia card back to the AMD card. played a round with it for several hours without success. I then removed TMT and installed Power DVD 13. Solved all my problems. That said, every now and then, I am having some lag issues, but should easily be able to fix this with a few tweaks. so again a big thankyou

For anyone else with the same problem I had with getting 3d to work, my setup is:

Optoma GT700 DLP

AMD HD6450

1 pair of Optoma DLP glasses

2 Pair generic DLP glasses (No different to the optoma glasses only $120 cheaper and rechargeable)

Power DVD 13 - select auto detect in the set up and let the software do everything else.

Reply 3D Tech Talk

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page