PS3 with Samsung Plasma 3D Issue - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 03-20-2013, 07:33 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I apologize if this is a redundant thread, but I've searched and couldn't find my specific problem.

I have a PS3 with firmware 4.40 (latest). My TV is a Samsung PN51D8000. My receiver is a Sony STH D800. Here is the issue. I just tried my first 3D Blu-Ray (Life of Pi). I hadn't really intended on using 3D but this movie changed my mind. I paired up the 2 pairs of glasses I bought, popped in the disc, and switch the TV to 3D mode. When the menu comes up, it is in 3D. When I put the glasses on it's crisp and clear. Great.

When I go to the menu item that says "3D Movie" I get the following message "This Feature Requires a Blu-Ray 3D Player Connected to a 3D Display. Your Blu-Ray 3D Player has not detected that it is connected to a 3d display. This may be due to display capability or an equipment setup issue. Please review the 3D capability and setup of your equipment. Consult with your equipment manual or support website for more information."

I tried troubleshooting by directly connecting the PS3 to the TV thinking that it might be the receiver screwing something up. But I still get the same message. What's frustrating is that the 3d is absolutely working! The menu is all blurry and then it's crisp and clear as soon as I turn on the glasses and put them on.

I would greatly appreciate any help anyone could provide on this topic as it's very frustrating. Thanks.

Eric
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 03-20-2013, 07:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 207 Post(s)
Liked: 780
Appears your avr is not hdmi 1.4 compatible (necessary for 3d) and also you don't have a hi-speed hdmi cable (when you connect direct to the tv). Sometimes a non-1.4 avr can still pass 3d via hdmi but no guarantee, but you should use hi-speed hdmi cable. BTW cable is hi-speed or not, not 1.3 or 1.4. You might be able to simply upgrade the hdmi cable to the tv and use optical to your avr for audio (but you won't get the highest sound codecs this way).

post #3 of 7 Old 03-20-2013, 08:09 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the quick reply. I'm going to make the assumption that the cables are the issue, since I tried bypassing the receiver and just going from the PS3 to the TV, which gave me the same message.
post #4 of 7 Old 03-20-2013, 08:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 207 Post(s)
Liked: 780
Quote:
Originally Posted by ejdish View Post

Thanks for the quick reply. I'm going to make the assumption that the cables are the issue, since I tried bypassing the receiver and just going from the PS3 to the TV, which gave me the same message.

Like I said, the cable is the issue between the PS3 and your tv (assuming you have updated your PS3 to the 3d firmware also). However, I don't see that your avr is compatible by the spec I saw online but check your manual.

post #5 of 7 Old 03-21-2013, 05:29 AM

go to your ps3 settings screen.display settings,run the automatic settings,hit x button on controller until you see the phrase ps3 has detected a 3d device is connected.you should be good to go then.

pooh bear
post #6 of 7 Old 03-21-2013, 07:58 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks, I did that last night. I didn't get that message at all. Just got the list of resolutions that were supported. I was told that the PS3 no longer did this in recent firmware updates.
post #7 of 7 Old 03-22-2013, 03:50 PM

Must be your cable that's the issue.

Reply 3D Tech Talk

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page