Generate and display 3d content on standard laptop - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 03-24-2013, 02:38 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I wanted to ask you expert about the feasibility of this idea:

My laptop Lenovo X220 support 60hz display mode. I have Samsung SSG-3100GB active glasses, that use Bluetooth connection.

Will be possible to display a 3d video using that setup? In theory my laptop can sync glasses using Bluetooth and display 30fps video for every eye.

If not my Samsung glasses there are no other "generic" active glasses that can be managed from my laptop?

In alternative will be possible to do the same adding some polarized film in front of laptop display and using passive glasses? I think not since will be needed to align it perfectly with display pixels.

Standard MVC videos does require a 120fps rate?

TV Samsung UE46D7000
BD Player Samsung BD-C5900
Camcorder Sony CX130E
NAS media Synology DS213 4TB
Video editor Cyberlink PowerDirector 10
Audio editor Acoustica Mixcraft 6
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 03-24-2013, 05:48 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 29
does your laptop have a video card that supports 3d? also it needs to be 60fps per eye, not 30. Too much flicker at 30fps. So the answer is no.
post #3 of 8 Old 03-25-2013, 12:13 AM - Thread Starter

No my video card don't support 3d it's a standard vc. What does it mean anyway 3d support: that support 120hz display?

To know more, there are specific standards for 3d encoding in term of bitrate and fps?
About file containers what are the most used?

I'm a bit confused about HDMI specs, BD specs and common computer video formats so I don't know what kind of setup use if I want to create a 3d video (not from a camcorder but from a 3d rendering).

TV Samsung UE46D7000
Camcorder Sony CX130E
post #4 of 8 Old 03-25-2013, 05:15 AM
Advanced Member

your laptop is more of a business laptop, not designed for 3D anything, not even gaming. You do not have the hardware to view 3D, more or less produce 3D content or render 3D content sufficiently/efficiently. To view 3D content, as you originally asked, you need the hardware to do it, like having an engine in a car to drive it. Your "car", the lenovo x220, does not have the hardware to run. You also need either a 120Hz screen with a active shutter transmitter with compatible glasses, or a passive interleaved 60Hz screen, both of which you do not have. To decode 3D content, whether it is frame packed, or SBS/TOB(side by side/top over bottom) you need a video card capable of handling the content, which again, you do not have. Your laptop cannot display 3D content period. Even if you have downloaded a 3D file off of the internet, you will not be able to view in 3D. The encoding doesn't matter, neither does the FPS or bitrate, or HDMI standards. Regardless if you have Bluetooth or not doesn't mean that it will magically make your hardware 3D compatible. Im guessing these are the specs to your laptop:
Core i5 2520M / 2.5 GHz - Windows 7 Professional 64-bit - 4 GB RAM - 128 GB SSD - 12.5" wide 1366 x 768 / HD - Intel HD Graphics 3000
Youve got the processor that can handle 1080P playback(eventhough you have a 720P resolution), but thats about it. No 3D period.
post #5 of 8 Old 03-25-2013, 07:00 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonAlam View Post

your laptop is more of a business laptop, not designed for 3D anything, not even gaming. You do not have the hardware to view 3D, more or less produce 3D content or render 3D content sufficiently/efficiently. To view 3D content, as you originally asked, you need the hardware to do it, like having an engine in a car to drive it. Your "car", the lenovo x220, does not have the hardware to run. You also need either a 120Hz screen with a active shutter transmitter with compatible glasses, or a passive interleaved 60Hz screen, both of which you do not have. To decode 3D content, whether it is frame packed, or SBS/TOB(side by side/top over bottom) you need a video card capable of handling the content, which again, you do not have. Your laptop cannot display 3D content period. Even if you have downloaded a 3D file off of the internet, you will not be able to view in 3D. The encoding doesn't matter, neither does the FPS or bitrate, or HDMI standards. Regardless if you have Bluetooth or not doesn't mean that it will magically make your hardware 3D compatible. Im guessing these are the specs to your laptop:
Core i5 2520M / 2.5 GHz - Windows 7 Professional 64-bit - 4 GB RAM - 128 GB SSD - 12.5" wide 1366 x 768 / HD - Intel HD Graphics 3000
Youve got the processor that can handle 1080P playback(eventhough you have a 720P resolution), but thats about it. No 3D period.

I'm a bit surprised by your tone.

Just for your information I will give you some hints maybe your are not informed on:

- As you wrote I need a 120hz screen to optimize view quality. If you read my signature it happens I have a Samsung D7000 tv in my bedroom. So I know about engines, thanks, and I can still connect my laptop to it.
- I haven't a 120hz display, but I can still view 3d anaglyphic content, right? I've just tried on youtube, maybe it's not so smooth but, responding to your whole post tone, I CAN in fact view 3D content on my laptop.
- I have not downloaded any content. I want to GENERATE 3D content using CryEngine SDK or some other 3D content generator such as camcorders or Kinect scanner, just to know
- I know my laptop specs, thanks (bytw I have 8GB ram and a 7200rpm HDD to be accurate). Since Intel HD 3000 its not (to be educate) a powerful GPU I'm considering the eGPU option using a GeForce GTX 660, to speed my design and rendering times.

So if you have specific suggestions I'm here to exchange IDEAS, otherwise I'm sure you can find something else to spit on. Period.

TV Samsung UE46D7000
Camcorder Sony CX130E
post #6 of 8 Old 03-25-2013, 08:10 AM
Advanced Member

my apologies Dave, here is what I read:
My laptop Lenovo X220 support 60hz display mode. I have Samsung SSG-3100GB active glasses, that use Bluetooth connection.

Will be possible to display a 3d video using that setup? In theory my laptop can sync glasses using Bluetooth and display 30fps video for every eye.

then you replied:
I'm a bit confused about HDMI specs, BD specs and common computer video formats so I don't know what kind of setup use if I want to create a 3d video (not from a camcorder but from a 3d rendering)

So you are asking 2 questions. First off, yes you can view anaglyph 3D content(I personally do not consider this to be 3D) but you are correct, it is 3D none the less. But to answer your "first" question, no, you cannot sync bluetooth active shutter glasses to view anaglyph content at 30FPS per eye. Your second question, yes your processor can encode 3D content, all be it very time consuming since you dont have an optimal GPU to offset the encoding time or rendering. I did not see your signature with the contents of your bedroom listed, I apologize for that, but in that case you export SBS file format to your TV, turn on 3D mode to SBS on the TV and view 3D content that way, might be a little choppy depending on the resolution, but knowing this now, yes you can view 3D on your "TV', just not your laptop, as you had indicated in your opening post. Again my apologies for not fully understanding what you had asked, only going by the question you posed in your initial post. So my misunderstanding is that you want "create" 3D content and view it on your TV, not view 3D content on your laptop correct?
post #7 of 8 Old 03-25-2013, 08:33 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonAlam View Post

my apologies Dave, here is what I read:

then you replied:
I'm a bit confused about HDMI specs, BD specs and common computer video formats so I don't know what kind of setup use if I want to create a 3d video (not from a camcorder but from a 3d rendering)

So you are asking 2 questions. First off, yes you can view anaglyph 3D content(I personally do not consider this to be 3D) but you are correct, it is 3D none the less. But to answer your "first" question, no, you cannot sync bluetooth active shutter glasses to view anaglyph content at 30FPS per eye. Your second question, yes your processor can encode 3D content, all be it very time consuming since you dont have an optimal GPU to offset the encoding time or rendering. I did not see your signature with the contents of your bedroom listed, I apologize for that, but in that case you export SBS file format to your TV, turn on 3D mode to SBS on the TV and view 3D content that way, might be a little choppy depending on the resolution, but knowing this now, yes you can view 3D on your "TV', just not your laptop, as you had indicated in your opening post. Again my apologies for not fully understanding what you had asked, only going by the question you posed in your initial post. So my misunderstanding is that you want "create" 3D content and view it on your TV, not view 3D content on your laptop correct?

Ron,

nothing to say about the informations you give me, the whole appear me a bit too aggressive.
My first question was about my laptop, my first response was only to understand more about the whole involved 3D tech.
I'm expanding the explanation not to change the topic but only to highlight I'm not totally out of the blue.

Considering that I think we both can find better opportunities to share our thoughts.

TV Samsung UE46D7000
Camcorder Sony CX130E
post #8 of 8 Old 03-25-2013, 08:48 AM
Advanced Member

my apologies again, but I hope my third response made sense.
Reply 3D Tech Talk

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page