Doubt about stereoscopic camera alternatives to create 3d videos - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 04-07-2013, 01:45 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Want something lighter than traditional stereoscopic cameras, since now I find these technologies for 3d video creation, but don't know if there are a suitable solution for retail grade video creation:

(- Stereoscopic cameras, with two lens that can capture the scene parallax. New Sony TD30 its a good example. Well know but costly, bulky or really limited)

- Active depth calculation such as time of flight or structured light where a standard sensor capture color video and another sensor capture depth measuring return times of laser or projected pattern deformation. Examples are MS Kinect but also SoftKinetic DepthSense

- Photogrammetry where the depth will be reconstructed from multiple 2D images, one example are Shining3d solutions

About second and third I only find application to 3d mapping of specific objects near the observer or aerial mapping or other industrial applications.

Interesting is Oliver Kreylos hack http://idav.ucdavis.edu/~okreylos/ResDev/Kinect/ of MS Kinect to create a 3d video.

My doubt is if there are any commercial retail solution using such unconventional techniques that can be lighter than stereoscopic cameras (I.e. with a single lens) but with FullHD results.

TV Samsung UE46D7000
BD Player Samsung BD-C5900
Camcorder Sony CX130E
NAS media Synology DS213 4TB
Video editor Cyberlink PowerDirector 10
Audio editor Acoustica Mixcraft 6
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 04-22-2013, 06:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Cool ideas, but I say no way any time soon. That TD-30 you mentioned is very light for a 3D video camera. The only other alternative for lighter 3D is the HD Hero 3D system, but as you probably know, that does not give much versatility during recording. You could do a lot with adjustments in post, but you can't even zoom in with the Go Pro cameras. And some say the Hero2 is still squirrelly in 3D, so you might even be better off with the first HD Heros.

What do you want so light for? I took 3D video from a flying octocopter with the HD Hero system.
post #3 of 3 Old 04-23-2013, 03:12 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
The problem with traditional stereo cameras it's coming from price or limitations.

TD30 it's marketed in the $1000 price tag, and as I read has some limitations also respect TD10.

Cheaper 3d stereo cameras such as Toshiba Camileo Z100 are really limited such as features (i.e. no optical zoom).

Also HD hero is nice, but you need to buy 2 cameras + the 3D kit, meaning about $600, with a bulky kit and many things to care about.

My idea is that combining different technologies can be a way to enable single lens cameras (with all the needed features and now really optimized in term of price/value) to register directly stereo content, or to register the information that enable to create true stereo video with post-processing.

Another nice idea I found is this one Lytro, only for still images but does the trick.

TV Samsung UE46D7000
BD Player Samsung BD-C5900
Camcorder Sony CX130E
NAS media Synology DS213 4TB
Video editor Cyberlink PowerDirector 10
Audio editor Acoustica Mixcraft 6
Reply 3D Tech Talk

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page