New Xpand 3D glasses - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 1 Old 04-08-2013, 07:10 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
On Saturday, I received in the mail a new pair of Xpand universal 3D glasses from Directv (no model number given). This was given to me for ordering, I think, Men in Black 3. I don't recall this promo but nevertheless I decided to give the glasses a try on my Panasonic 2011 VT65 3D plasma TV.

I had purchased a pair of Xpand glasses about 2 years ago for this Tv and they only worked twice prior to failing so I didn't hold much hope for this pair.

To my surprise, after syncing with the Tv after a few tries, the glasses worked perfectly. Not only that but the loss of brightness associated with active shutter glasses (ASG) was less than my 2nd gen Panasonic and Sony universal 3d glasses. With the picture set to vivid, the picture was actually too bright with the glasses on. I had to switch to the THX for a better picture. Also I didn't notice "ANY" ghosting that I am very aware of ( watching the Hobbit).

I had purchased a first gen 3D Tv about 4 years ago and remember the complaints of brightness loss and ghosting associated with ASG. One of the knowledgeable forum members actually blamed the first gen glasses and not the TV especially for the ghosting problem.

It looks like he may have been correct. All I know now is that I no longer wish that I have a passive 3D TV instead of active.

Hope this helps restore the faith in "ACTIVE" 3D TV's; it sure has for me.
Reply 3D Tech Talk

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page