Mitsubishi 08 model WD60735 3D - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 04-16-2013, 12:12 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey all,
I have a 2008 Mitsubishi TV I just picked up that I would like to hook 3D up to. It's a WD-60735.

I have read that you need the 3DA-1 adapter or the 3DC 1000 starter kit. The problem is, the only starter kit I can find costs $599 on amazon & I can't the 3DA-1 adapter anywhere. This seems kind of weak granted that the starters were going for ~$200-400 new. Do you guys have any suggestions on where to find these for a reasonable price?

Thanks in advance
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 04-16-2013, 12:15 PM - Thread Starter

Also if there are any alternatives out there, I would be highly interested in them
post #3 of 11 Old 04-16-2013, 12:49 PM - Thread Starter

Or is there a way to download the software update for the 2010 models that bypass the adapter and use it on the 735s?
post #4 of 11 Old 04-16-2013, 01:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 29
We have this discussion all the time. The 3DA-1 is no longer made so they are now rare. I got mine for $100, but that was also 6 years ago while they were still in production. Your best bet is to search craigslist or ebay. Sometimes people mention they have one for sale on this thread:
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1261771/avs-official-mitsubishi-3dc-1000-3d-starter-pack-topic/2940
There is one on ebay right now for $300 or best offer.

Your set accepts 3D checkerboard without the need for an adapter. If you only want to watch movies, buy a 3D Blu-ray player that outputs checkerboard and you are good to go.
http://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-DMP-BDT100-Full-Blu-ray-Player/dp/B003ZXE87A/ref=sr_1_3?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1366145252&sr=1-3&keywords=BDT350

There are more options, but that is the first one I found. Just make sure the blu-ray outputs checkerboard format. Buy DLP Link glasses and you are ready to watch 3D movies without any other equipment needed.
brotherpace likes this.
post #5 of 11 Old 04-17-2013, 12:39 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you for your input, very helpful. I ended up looking at craigslist and am getting the starter shipped for $200. Do you have any experience with gaming on this setup?
post #6 of 11 Old 04-17-2013, 01:29 PM
AVS Special Member

I have my PS3 connected to mine. I can say that MotorStorm (Rift or Armageddon) is my fav for showing depth, makes 3D worth while. The new MK sucked in 3D, wasn't done well. Call of Duty Black Ops was very cool in 3D, when using the scope you should close one eye like you are really using one. I don't really have many other 3D games on my system.

You mentioned that you got the starer kit, which I believes comes with IR glasses. You may not be thrilled with the quality of your black levels if that is the case. These older 3D Ready sets usually have DLP Link always on by default. Not sure you can disable that on your set. If so, that DLP Link signal will cause your blacks to look tinted using IR glasses. If that happens, just buy a set of DLP Link glasses. They fully block the signal and blacks finally look black and not tinted.

Good luck!
brotherpace likes this.
post #7 of 11 Old 04-21-2013, 06:16 PM - Thread Starter

So with the DLP link glasses the blacks will be better? I noticed the drab black levels, would I still need the IR emitter with the DLP link glasses?
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickels55 View Post

I have my PS3 connected to mine. I can say that MotorStorm (Rift or Armageddon) is my fav for showing depth, makes 3D worth while. The new MK sucked in 3D, wasn't done well. Call of Duty Black Ops was very cool in 3D, when using the scope you should close one eye like you are really using one. I don't really have many other 3D games on my system.

You mentioned that you got the starer kit, which I believes comes with IR glasses. You may not be thrilled with the quality of your black levels if that is the case. These older 3D Ready sets usually have DLP Link always on by default. Not sure you can disable that on your set. If so, that DLP Link signal will cause your blacks to look tinted using IR glasses. If that happens, just buy a set of DLP Link glasses. They fully block the signal and blacks finally look black and not tinted.

Good luck!
post #8 of 11 Old 04-21-2013, 06:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by brotherpace View Post

So with the DLP link glasses the blacks will be better? I noticed the drab black levels, would I still need the IR emitter with the DLP link glasses?

Yes. You can't turn off DLP on your 2008 model so you'll have a green/blue cast on your blacks. I know, I also have a 2008-a 73736.

No. You don't need the emitter with DLP glasses.

Hope this helps!

Ed
brotherpace likes this.
post #9 of 11 Old 04-22-2013, 05:22 PM - Thread Starter

Yes sir, thank you very much. So you just set the tv to 3D mode and it's ready to go huh? Do you still have to use the adapter? And do you have any recommendations on which type to get?
Quote:
Originally Posted by old corps View Post

Yes. You can't turn off DLP on your 2008 model so you'll have a green/blue cast on your blacks. I know, I also have a 2008-a 73736.

No. You don't need the emitter with DLP glasses.

Hope this helps!

Ed
post #10 of 11 Old 04-23-2013, 06:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by brotherpace View Post

Yes sir, thank you very much. So you just set the tv to 3D mode and it's ready to go huh? Do you still have to use the adapter? And do you have any recommendations on which type to get?

Yes and no. You'll need the adapter for 3D from cable or satellite but if you get a Panasonic (or Oppo/big $$$) 3D bluray player you can set the output to checkerboard--no adapter needed. I have a Panny 220 and previously had the 210 which I gave to my son. Happy viewing.cool.gif

Ed
brotherpace likes this.
post #11 of 11 Old 04-23-2013, 07:43 AM
AVS Special Member

The adapter converts the various formats to checkerboard for your set. That is all it does:
3D INPUT:
Side by side
Frame Packed
Top Bottom
3D OUTPUT:
checkerboard

If you have a device that outputs checkerboard like the BluRay players listed there is no need for the adapter.

As for 3D glasses - there are many brands these days. On the lower end you have UltraClear (my choice), Xpand 102s, True Depth, and for more expensive top quality ones there are the Optoma ZD 201s. Some people like the older 101s but I don't. With my set, the DLP link makes the black black, but it also adds a rainbow due to screen angles and polarization of light. Your set may not have the same quirks as mine (Samsung HLT6187s).
brotherpace likes this.
Reply 3D Tech Talk

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page