3d types, and 3d playback on a PC - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 04-27-2013, 09:47 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi could I get some help with setting up 3D on my PC? It seems really confusing, despite my best efforts to read about and understand 3D playback.

I've googled a lot but still don't really understand;

1. I read frame sequential is only available to PCs, and that it's better than some other 3D formats. Is it better than time sequential/frame packing, and is it the best method of 3D (for movies and games)?
2. Do I need Nvidia hardware for the most faithful 3D? In what way is Nvidia 3D Vision related to or different to frame sequential? Why is it superior to AMD HD3D in this regard? Is it?
3. I still don't really understand whether or not Blu-ray movies can be output in frame sequential or not... How are films shot in 23.976fps meant to display properly at 60hz per eye?
4. What software supports frame sequential/the best playback method? I've tried stereoscopic player (which won't accept my 3D Blu-ray discs), and according to Cyberlink's website, PowerDVD only supports time sequential, row interleaved, and anaglyph.

Sorry for the numerous questions. The long and short of it is that I want to watch the best quality 3D content possible using the best method, and would like to know what software and hardware I need to achieve that on my PC. If it matters my monitor is 120hz, and I own both high speed HDMI and DL-DVI cables. My graphics card is an AMD 7 series card.

Thanks in advance for your help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 05-01-2013, 04:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
I am very new to this, so while I'll spend some time typing, just take it with a grain of salt.

I just bought a W7000. First 3D projector for me. Just bought some 3Active glasses, recommended highly by someone on the forum. I very much like both.

My only source for my system is my HTPC. I have a HD6770 video card, and unfortunately, had to disconnect my Yamaha RX-V765 receiver since it won't pass through 3D.

My projector does only "Side by Side", whatever that is. The guy at BenQ told me all sorts of sutff about how to determine if content would play on this thing, and he may as well have told my cat. I can't find any of the info he told me to look for on any blu-ray disc. So far, all the ones I've purchased work.

I did have to go get a demo of PowerDVD 13 to get 3D to play. MPC-HC won't do it. PDVD does have lots of choices for the display type and resolution, as well as the media type. For me, 1080p @ 24 works fine. The projector reports 220x by 1920 res when playing 3D.

NVidia. I think that's only required if you are playing PC games made only for their wired glasses, but I don't know that for sure. ATI touts that their 3D system is not proprietary, and thus costs less with no hidden costs. I like that. Seems to work all the same to me, and I don't care about PC gaming, most certainly not from studios who are in bed with NVidia.

Is Nvidia's better? I seriously doubt it. My DLPlink system seems to do the exact same thing.

I don't think anything blu-ray is out put at 60hz. The glasses sync with the display (or at least mine do) ,and that is at the native framerate of the display.

I have not tried my one anaglyph movie on this projector yet, but it does play, I just didn't try the filter glasses cause I was working on getting the DLPlink glasses to work at the time. PowerDVD and MPC-HC both played the source material just fine.

As to all these terms and formats you're talking about, I'm sorry but I can't help.

PS. I think all the ATI cards of 5000 series and up have the HDMI 1.4 port and support 3D. If you experience troubles, it's probably due to a receiver in between that wont' pass the signal.
derpycat likes this.
post #3 of 8 Old 05-01-2013, 04:36 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 205 Post(s)
Liked: 1378
Quote:
Originally Posted by derpycat View Post

Hi could I get some help with setting up 3D on my PC? It seems really confusing, despite my best efforts to read about and understand 3D playback.

I've googled a lot but still don't really understand;

1. I read frame sequential is only available to PCs, and that it's better than some other 3D formats. Is it better than time sequential/frame packing, and is it the best method of 3D (for movies and games)?

They are slightly different techniques. Frame sequential sends each frame individually. Frame packing sends both the left and right eye in one huge frame. Both are full resolution, so the end result is the same. So dont worry about it as long as your display supports it.
Quote:
2. Do I need Nvidia hardware for the most faithful 3D? In what way is Nvidia 3D Vision related to or different to frame sequential? Why is it superior to AMD HD3D in this regard? Is it?

Nvidia has much wider support for games. It doesnt have to do with how the 3d image is transmitted, but in how its created. As far as movies go, since the frames are already created, there shouldnt be any difference in the results. If you care about gaming in 3d, get nvidia, period. If you dont, AMD should play back 3d blu rays just as well.
Quote:
3. I still don't really understand whether or not Blu-ray movies can be output in frame sequential or not... How are films shot in 23.976fps meant to display properly at 60hz per eye?

Its up to your display. My panasonic can accept 24fps 3d blu rays and output them at 48hz. Any set that can't directly take in 24hz 3D, will just convert it to 60hz, and you'll get that slight judder, same as it would with 2D.
Quote:
4. What software supports frame sequential/the best playback method? I've tried stereoscopic player (which won't accept my 3D Blu-ray discs), and according to Cyberlink's website, PowerDVD only supports time sequential, row interleaved, and anaglyph.

Sorry for the numerous questions. The long and short of it is that I want to watch the best quality 3D content possible using the best method, and would like to know what software and hardware I need to achieve that on my PC. If it matters my monitor is 120hz, and I own both high speed HDMI and DL-DVI cables. My graphics card is an AMD 7 series card.

Thanks in advance for your help.

That one someone else can help you out with, I prefer to watch my blurays on my PS3 and HDTV. Dont get caught up in sequential vs packing, it really doesnt matter. PowerDVD is probably fine. Even though your monitor is 120hz, the minimum frame rate for 3d is 48hz, which doesnt divide into 120. See if you can manually set your monitor to a direct multiple, like 96hz or 144hz. PowerDVD might be able to do this automatically for you if your monitor supports it.
derpycat likes this.

Steam/PSN/Xbox Live: Darius510
post #4 of 8 Old 05-02-2013, 05:29 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks both of you!! I think I understand everything now.

I'll use PowerDVD via HDMI then. The refresh rate says "24hz" but I think that means 24hz per eye, or 48hz. Just have to order Life of Pi now and see what all the fuss was about biggrin.gif.
post #5 of 8 Old 05-02-2013, 07:48 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by derpycat View Post

Thanks both of you!! I think I understand everything now.

I'll use PowerDVD via HDMI then. The refresh rate says "24hz" but I think that means 24hz per eye, or 48hz. Just have to order Life of Pi now and see what all the fuss was about biggrin.gif.

Where does it say the refresh rate?

post #6 of 8 Old 05-02-2013, 08:15 AM - Thread Starter

PowerDVD turns my monitor's 3D on automatically, and it changes the monitor's refresh rate as well. When I minimize the player and check refresh rate, Windows reports it as 24hz.
post #7 of 8 Old 05-02-2013, 08:51 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Yep, sounds like you've got everything set up correctly then.

post #8 of 8 Old 05-02-2013, 08:56 AM - Thread Starter

yessir!
Reply 3D Tech Talk

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page