3D with OPPO, Seiki and Optoma Confused - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 13 Old 05-23-2013, 09:11 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
This is probably a stupid setup and question, but I need some help.

I've got an OPPO 103 as 3D Blueray as one 3D source connected to a new Seiki 4k 120Hz TV and an Optoma HD25-LV projector.

How do I view 3D on these? I know they both output the 3D image, but do I need some sort of emitter rigged up to the OPPO, or 3D source?

What types of glasses do I get? Do I need two separate sets of glasses for 3D on the LCD and Projector, or can they be the same?

Thanks for your help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 05-23-2013, 01:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Your LCD is beyond my knowledge - but look to the manual for 3D instructions. If you list the exact model I can probably find better details.

For your projector, you should have no problem. The OPPO should recognize the projector as 3D. The projector is DLP, so no need for an emitter as they use DLP Link signals to sync with DLP Link glasses. Basically there is a flash that you can't see in between frames, the glasses pick it up and use it to sync. The projector also has a sync port if you want to get RF glasses and an emitter for it. That is the better choice, but also more $$$.

The LCD will probably need an emitter. Since it is so new I'm almost positive the RF emitter will work on your set as well. You'd either need two emitters or to switch from projector to LCD depending on what you are watching. Look at the inputs on the back of your TV. Does one say 3D Sync? That is the port that gets the emitter. Does it have one built in? Need to read the manual to find out!
post #3 of 13 Old 05-23-2013, 10:41 PM - Thread Starter

The Seiki is the 50" 4k TV. Not sure if it has an emitter, it's not really full of features, just has a lot of pixels.

If the LCD Seiki doesn't have an emitter, then is it just impossible to get 3D from my OPPO source to it?

I could probably hook up my computer to the Seiki and use the Nvidia 3D emitter...
post #4 of 13 Old 05-24-2013, 06:04 AM

Liked: 13
The Seiki is not 3D. You can confirm this by trying to play a 3D bluray on your Oppo connected to it. The Oppo will tell you it's not a 3d TV.

I have the Oppo 103 connected to an HD25-LV using the Optoma 3d glasses and RF emitter. If you use DLP link glasses on the HD you must use the type that are compatible with triple flash (144 Hz)
post #5 of 13 Old 05-24-2013, 09:35 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tucsondave View Post

The Seiki is not 3D. You can confirm this by trying to play a 3D bluray on your Oppo connected to it. The Oppo will tell you it's not a 3d TV.)

I can play a 3D Blueray on the OPPO and it shows up 3D on the Seiki with no problems. So maybe it 'thinks' its a 3D TV, lol! Still not sure if there is a way to do 3D on it.
post #6 of 13 Old 05-27-2013, 11:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sterling View Post

I can play a 3D Blueray on the OPPO and it shows up 3D on the Seiki with no problems. So maybe it 'thinks' its a 3D TV, lol! Still not sure if there is a way to do 3D on it.

So you are saying that you see a doubled image on the Seiki when you feed a Bluray 3D signal to it? If so, perhaps it has passive 3D technology. I checked out the TV at my local TigerDirect store, and I couldn't find any indication that it was a 3D-capable set. I recall reading on here about a Sylvania 3D set which also did not have any 3D-specific controls on the remote or in the menu system, so I suppose it is possible that some TVs are only compatible with the Multiview Video Coding used in 3D Bluray discs.
post #7 of 13 Old 05-27-2013, 08:47 PM - Thread Starter

Yeah, it does show the double image. But there doesn't seem to be any provision in the OPPO or the Seiki to output the emitter signal.

So unless there is a way to have a certain type of glasses that read the signal directly from the TV image, it's probably not going to work.

If I got really creative I could probably hook up my computer to it and use an NVidia emitter and glasses as a last resort.
I could also get the full "4k" resolution from a computer output with a decent card too. So I might just go that route with that TV.

And I'll concentrate on the Optoma Projector for regular 3D from any source and get glasses for that.
post #8 of 13 Old 05-28-2013, 03:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Yeah, it does show the double image. But there doesn't seem to be any provision in the OPPO or the Seiki to output the emitter signal.

So unless there is a way to have a certain type of glasses that read the signal directly from the TV image, it's probably not going to work.

If I got really creative I could probably hook up my computer to it and use an NVidia emitter and glasses as a last resort.
I could also get the full "4k" resolution from a computer output with a decent card too. So I might just go that route with that TV.

And I'll concentrate on the Optoma Projector for regular 3D from any source and get glasses for that.

Passive 3D TVs do not require an emitter, so a pair of glasses like the ones you get at the movie theaters should work with the Seiki. See if you can get a pair from one of your local retailers...they shouldn't cost more than ten dollars or so. Just make sure whichever ones you get don't require charging or batteries and you'll know you have the right ones.
post #9 of 13 Old 05-28-2013, 06:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 29
Quote:

The Seiki is the 50" 4k TV. Not sure if it has an emitter, it's not really full of features, just has a lot of pixels.

If the LCD Seiki doesn't have an emitter, then is it just impossible to get 3D from my OPPO source to it?

I could probably hook up my computer to the Seiki and use the Nvidia 3D emitter...

What is the exact model number of the TV? That is very important for us solving the 3D issue. Looking at this:
http://www.amazon.com/Seiki-Digital-SE50UY04-50-Inch-120Hz/dp/B00BXF7I9M/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

This set is NOT 3D.
post #10 of 13 Old 11-26-2013, 03:04 AM

I know this is an old thread!

The set is not 3D, HOWEVER, it accepts a true 120HZ signal so for computer based 3D it should work fine. It probably will work with passive glasses because the Sony UHD does also when it comes to blu-Ray based 3D
post #11 of 13 Old 11-26-2013, 05:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcforde View Post

I know this is an old thread!

The set is not 3D, HOWEVER, it accepts a true 120HZ signal so for computer based 3D it should work fine. It probably will work with passive glasses because the Sony UHD does also when it comes to blu-Ray based 3D

The Seiki does not use FPR (Film-type Patterned Retarder) technology, which is required for passive 3D. The Sony UHD does.
post #12 of 13 Old 11-26-2013, 09:54 AM

OK, I have AMD cards so I will be using tri-def for the driver. The Active IR glasses should be fine then for me. People that are getting the double image. People using Nvidia may not be so fortunate as Nvidia tries to tightly controls what their drivers work on. It won't work on any 120HZ monitor. It becomes a toss-up, maybe they were blind-sided by the Seiki. However they have been known to block things in the next releases of their driver.

Hopefully I can try it out tonight.
post #13 of 13 Old 11-26-2013, 12:43 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 23
If it accepts a 120Hz signal (which I doubt), it will be at low resolution, max 720p for HDMI 1.4.

The question about 3D capability is interesting, though. My guess is the TV has generic MVC/3D-decoding electronics, and given the 120Hz refresh rate, I see no reason why they did not make it 3D by adding a sync emitter. Probably, although it's 120Hz, the UHD display is still too slow for active 3D (too much ghosting). All UHD 3DTVs by now are passive, AFAIK.
Reply 3D Tech Talk

Tags
Oppo Bdp 103 3d Blu Ray Player , Seiki Digital Se50uy04 50 Inch 4k 120hz Led Hdtv , Optoma Hd25 Lv 3d Home Theater Projector
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page