how to play 3D blu ray media with PC 3D ready benq projector?!?!??!?!?!??!?!?! Is there any player for that? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 05-25-2013, 09:13 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi,

I'm trying to watch my 3D blu ray media with benq W710ST projector over several days - but not successful.

I'm sure that my hardware is good enough for supporting 3D movie play back. Indeed I can watch 3D demo clip with the program "bino" very nicely. So I assumed that I can watch 3D blu ray media with my system w/o any problem...

But the blu ray media play back seems not really supported by bino, so I had to search around other software player. But all software I tried so far did not work. I tested powerDVD, total media theater, depthQ, stereoscopic player... None of them work! powerDVD and total media theater can read the BR at least but only play back in 2D. When I tried to force to output 3D signal, it complains as "cyberlink powerDVD could not enable 3D playback. Try choosing a different 3D display device".

I know my system can play back 3D contents if they exist in computer file. But cannot play if they in blu ray media? Are they that much different? Did I miss something? Is that impossible to watch 3D blu ray media with benq Pc 3D ready projector? Or I just need other "right" software?

Please help me. Thank you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 05-26-2013, 09:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 39
You might mention which video card your using in the htpc. Makes a difference allowing someone able to advise you better. A couple related posts, incl one mentioning a setting in the AMD software that was required when using Total Media Theater. http://www.avsforum.com/t/1460770/what-do-i-need-to-implement-3d-using-amd-radeon-6450-benq-w710st-projector#post_23074539

Also mentioned is that maybe AMD or Cyberlink do not send a 3D signal out of a DVI port, so make sure it's the hdmi connection your using, and you might want to try it with having only one monitor or display connected at a time.

and of course update your drivers and display program software, if you haven't already.

http://3dvision-blog.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=2442
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1460770/what-do-i-need-to-implement-3d-using-amd-radeon-6450-benq-w710st-projector

GL
post #3 of 10 Old 05-27-2013, 03:54 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you for your first reply, jnabq!

Hope you will read this again and have better idea about my problem.

Here is full detail of my system.

Display: benq w710st. (DLP, 3d ready - connected to the laptop via HDMI cable)
Computer: laptop (intel core i5)
Video card: nvidia GeForce GTX 660M (2 GB).
blu ray drive: external LG drive, CP40. (connected to the laptop via USB 2.0)
3D glasses: okba 3d active shutter glasses.

As I said before, it does play back 3D movie perfectly with Bino player if it exists as file - so I believe I don't have any HW problems. Unfortunately bino seems not support blu ray play back.

Problem: I cannot play back blu ray media, no matter what player I use.
It seems that the commercial players (e.g., powerDVD, total media theater...) can certainly read the media in 3D format; I know this since it reads the BD and shows red-cyan type anaglyph 3D picture. But that's not the right way to display out - my projector can display 120hz frame sequential format. The program seems not recognize my projector as shown the error message in my first thead.

Question: why my system cannot play back 3D blu ray media while it can do with 3D computer file?

Thank you for reading my somewhat long thread.
post #4 of 10 Old 05-28-2013, 04:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 39
Idk, sounds like an hdcp issue with the disk/player? Did you try a regular bluray disk?, one posted when using powerdvd, "The BD disk I was inserting was in 3d. I inserted the regular BD movie and it ran fine. Then I ejected it and tried the 3d version again, and voila! Worked like a charm. The update is supposed to enable you to run 3d Blu-ray Disks, but this function won't work until you try a regular BD first."

You may need to contact LG support?
http://www.lg.com/hk_en/support/contact-customer-support
post #5 of 10 Old 05-30-2013, 01:37 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 23
You mentioned 120 Hz sequential - this is not the correct option, if you chose this in the player (e.g. "nvidia 3d vision"; or, rather, it is problematic).

You should select something like "HDMI 1.4a", or "HDMI 3D".

Also, check your hdmi cable is high-speed, not standard.

There is also the option that the hdmi-out on the laptop is not 1.4a compatible.
post #6 of 10 Old 05-31-2013, 04:38 AM - Thread Starter

I think my projector uses hdmi 1.3. Moreover, I cannot see any similar display option like hdmi1.4a or hdmi3D. I set the display output option as automatic, but powerDVD said "cyberlink powerDVD could not enable 3D playback. Try choosing a different 3D display device" as I mentioned above.
post #7 of 10 Old 05-31-2013, 10:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked: 201
Your PJ is "3D Ready". That doesn't mean that it will automatically display 3D Blurays without some kind of adapter like the Optoma 3D-XL or 3DNow's 3D Theater. I suspect this is your problem.

Read this article:
http://www.projectorcentral.com/what_does_3d_ready_mean.htm
post #8 of 10 Old 05-31-2013, 11:39 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 23
My mistake, I was confident the projector was 1.4a.

Sorry, I have no good advice. The 120 Hz 3d output for Nvidia cards was called "Nvidia 3d-vision" in PDVD, you may try setting to that, but most probably you will get the anaglyph picture again. You may search or ask the HTPC forum for working Nvidia drivers.

I had similar problems with my 1.3 projector in Win7, AMD card though. After upgrading to Win8, TMT5 3d works flawlessly.
post #9 of 10 Old 05-31-2013, 05:24 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Analgraph 3D source and playback is done as 2D.
A 3D DVD player will only 3D content using the current 3D blu-ray standard format and will send it to your TV in HDMI 1.4a packed buffer format.
Not all versions of the popular PC based DVD players will play standard 3D disk in 3D. The top models now do but some lower end players do not.
post #10 of 10 Old 06-01-2013, 08:31 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you for your reply. I think that is the answer. The link you provided seems the page I should look at first. Anyway, the projector is the one I have to live with, so I just returned my new laptop and external BD drive. So back to the original place. My 2005 laptop is still the best PC for my projector.
Thanks for all of you again!
Reply 3D Tech Talk