3D printing anyone? OT - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 05-28-2013, 02:49 PM - Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Liked: 489

forgive me for an OT thread but my company is just getting into 3D printing and I was wondering if anyone else here is interested in this?

we bought a new Cube X 3D printer and spent quite of bit of time trying to get it to work: it would run fine for about an hour then fail

After 2 months and some really poor customer service, they sent us a replacement refurbished printer and it is starting to work: we are using the prepacked software hand as a test

Our purpose is to use it to make models of small parts from Auto Cad/ Inventor 3D files to check for fit

please take the high road in every post
if you see a problematic post, please do not quote it or respond to it: report it to the mods to handle
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-29-2013, 08:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 31
I find the technology to be amazing. IMO this is the future of inventing and innovation. The materials are getting stronger and the process continues to come down in cost. What types of 3D files do you need to print out an actual object? Can you use free modeling software like Google Sketch-up or Blender, or is there specific software that you need to use. I suspect it takes specific formats over software, so you just need to find the correct software that produces the necessary format.

Let's say you want to print out something fun around the size of a small bobblehead. What is the cost of the material used for something like this? Just curious. As the printer seems affordable (relatively speaking) but how much is the material? Kind of like buying a $100 printer that uses $400 ink cartridges that last for 10 prints.

BTW - I'm super jealous. I would play with that thing non-stop if we had one at my workplace.
Old 05-29-2013, 11:21 AM - Thread Starter
Super Moderator

each plastic cassette is $90.00: that is the only consumable

the machine can be fitted with up to 3 print heads each fed by its own cassette: there are dozens of colors available so you can make models in color: our machine has one print head but there are expansion kits to add more.

The hand took 4 hours but operation is completely automatic except for reloading cassettes: no idea of usage factor yet

http://cubify.com/cubex/

if you see a problematic post, please do not quote it or respond to it: report it to the mods to handle
Old 05-30-2013, 01:15 PM - Thread Starter
Super Moderator

we are also installing a 3D scanner per Jay Leno's recommendations: more soon...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ZrJsrTT4EA