Need help watching 3D bluray on TV using laptop - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 07-11-2013, 06:40 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm trying to watch 3D Blurays on my 3DTV (Panasonic Viera VT50) using my laptop (HP Pavilion dv8t). I downloaded trial versions of PowerDVD, WinDVD, and Total Media Theatre and connected my laptop via HDMI. I'm actually not sure which version of HDMI my laptop has, but the graphics card is an NVidia GeForce GT 230M, and the cables are rated for 3D. I tried a 3D BD with each player, but none of them send a 3D signal to my TV. I'm using the "HDMI 1.4 enabled 3DTV" option. I also tried installing a trial version of NVidia 3DTV Play (not entirely sure what that's for but I figured it wouldn't hurt). I thought my NVidia control panel would change to include some sort of "stereoscopic setting" but nothing changed since installing it. And the players still won't output 3D and still won't allow me to select the "NVidia 3D Vision" option. Is 3D simply not possible with my hardware, or am I doing something wrong?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 07-12-2013, 10:45 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 23
It seems your graphics adapter does not support 3d - at least Nvidia does not list is as a feature as for other cards (e.g. gt 430, which is what I have).

Besides the side-by-side recommendation you got on the Slysoft forum, I can add interleaved - I know TMT5 supports it, but not sure about your tv.

Btw, 3DTV Play is for S3D gaming without a 3d vision kit (emitter).
post #3 of 4 Old 07-12-2013, 02:06 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
In my search I found this forum post from a user with the same card as mine: http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/20717.page
Basically he had trouble getting 3D output, but reported that it started working after he ran 3D Vision setup. But he made no mention of having a 3D Vision Kit (it's possible he actually had one). More importantly, it suggests that this card supports 3D output. Also, when I ran the 3DTV Play setup, it started by checking my graphics card for compatibility, which was successful.

I'm still rather confused about what the 3D Vision Kit and 3DTV Play do, and whether I actually need them to get Full HD 3D output. My understanding is there's the 3D Vision driver, which can be downloaded for free, which automatically generates a stereoscopic 3D image for games (I don't need this feature). And I believe the same driver allows/unlocks 3D output. I don't need the extra hardware from the 3D Vision Kit (emitter and glasses) since I'll be using my TV's setup, but the emitter needs to be connected to unlock the 3D driver (like a hardware key). 3DTV Play unlocks the driver without the need for the emitter, but now I'm not so sure. I've even read conflicting information on this from NVidia documentation.

My TV doesn't accept the interleaved formats (which I believe is not Full HD 3D anyway). I've been able to get SBS to work with Youtube videos, but I really want Full HD (i.e. Frame Packed or Frame Sequential). I don't see why the BD Player software can't just construct a 1080P @48Hz output without some additional software/hardware. The computer outputs 1080P @60Hz over HDMI during normal operation anyway, which is even more demanding than @48Hz.
post #4 of 4 Old 07-16-2013, 04:01 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 23
You don't need the kit/emitter, nor 3DTV Play. When you connect the 3d tv, the card should recognize it as such, and give you the 3d sterescopic option in the nvidia control panel. I can only repeate the advice in the PDVD forum - disable the notebook screen, the tv will be the primary display, and open the panel there. Good luck.
Reply 3D Tech Talk

Tags
Panasonic Viera Tc P65vt50 65 Inch Plasma Tv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page