How to prepare JPGs as stereo pairs for viewing on 3D HDTV? - AVS Forum
3D Tech Talk > How to prepare JPGs as stereo pairs for viewing on 3D HDTV?
KevinKillion's Avatar KevinKillion 09:17 AM 07-19-2013
I have a number of old-time stereoscope cards, each with two pictures. I tried scanning a few, and using a graphics program to make a single JPG for each pair, with the pictures side-by-side. I loaded the finished JPGs on a server.

I can view the pictures just fine via DLNA on my Panasonic GT50 3D HDTV. When displayed, the little "2D" symbol pops up in the corner, just as it does for all pictures. But nothing I've tried displays the picture in 3D -- all I ever see is just the pair of pictures side-by-side, just as I prepared on the JPG.

But what is the magic to make them displayed as 3D? I tried using the settings to try to force the display into 3D, without success. Is there a special format, or pixel ratio, or some special EXIF format or something else that the TV will recognize to tell it to attempt a 3D display?

THANKS!
Kevin

Jim Harp's Avatar Jim Harp 08:58 PM 07-26-2013
As far as I know there is no 3DTV smart enough to recognize that a JPEG with two sides of a stereocard is a 3D image and then to display it as such. I own an LG Passive 3DTV, so I'm not sure what formats the Panasonic is compatible with. LG TVs can display .mpo files, which are essentially double JPEGs, along with 3D pairs that have their horizontal dimensions squashed by 50%.

If you don't already have Stereophotomaker software you should download it, it's free and is an absolutely essential tool for anyone with an interest in 3D still images.

http://stereo.jpn.org/eng/stphmkr/

This software only runs on Windows, but if you are a Mac user it's worth buying Crossover or another solution to run Windows on a Mac along with the Windows OS.

Stereophotomaker will let you load your paired JPEG or individual left and right JPEGs and save them as .mpos or horizontally squashed 3D files.
Don Landis's Avatar Don Landis 09:45 AM 07-28-2013
Quote:
As far as I know there is no 3DTV smart enough to recognize that a JPEG with two sides of a stereocard is a 3D image and then to display it as such.

Jim- The Sensio process does just that when fully implemented. Auto sense a 2D HD signal and if the image is duplicated over / under or SBS in half res, it is reformatted to 3D.
tgm1024's Avatar tgm1024 08:13 AM 08-01-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Landis View Post

Quote:
As far as I know there is no 3DTV smart enough to recognize that a JPEG with two sides of a stereocard is a 3D image and then to display it as such.

Jim- The Sensio process does just that when fully implemented. Auto sense a 2D HD signal and if the image is duplicated over / under or SBS in half res, it is reformatted to 3D.

The two images must be different to achieve 3D, albeit subtly.  How does it detect the two?  Subtraction threshold?

Tags: Panasonic Viera Tc P60gt50 60 Inch Plasma Tv
Up
Mobile  Desktop