Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 16 Old 08-11-2013, 07:12 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey Everybody,

I am seriously considering doing a 3D Theater and looking to do it on a modest budget around $1500. I can get recievers at accessories for less I don't mind a refurbished receiver..

Now I am going to use a DLP Projector and a 3D Bluray player and 3D Glasses.. I am thinking Active would be good or are there any polarized 3D DLP Projectors out there??

I have not kept up with the 3D Offerings so I need to know what I would need to setup 3D in my Theater.. Would it be possible to bypass the receiver or would that too need to be 3D Compatible??

So here is the list as what I can see:

1. 3D DLP Projector..
2. 3D Blu ray player..
3. 3D Glasses Active/Polarised??
4. 3D Capable Reciever..

OK Please bring me up to speed would that be all I need or do I still need that converter thing for the Projector??

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 08-12-2013, 12:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Passive 3D projectors are out of your budget. Make sure you read if the projector you are going to purchase is Full 3D or 3D ready. If it is full 3D you are all set, if it is 3D ready you will need something like an Optoma 3D-XL box to convert the signal to work on your projector. You will also need a 3D emitter and active shutter glasses. You can bypass the receiver if it is not 3D compatible.

The Optoma HD33 is an example of a 3D ready projector. The BenQ W1070 is a 1080p projector that is full 3D, no converter box needed.

As for glasses that depends on the projector. If you get a DLP Link 3D link enabled projector then you only need 3D DLP Link glasses, no emitter. If you want IR or RF glasses you will also need a compatible emitter for your projector.
post #3 of 16 Old 08-12-2013, 02:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 24
An Acer H6510BD can be found for around $700. Add a cheap screen from Amazon for $100, $100 BD player and couple of glasses and you would be less than your $1500 budget.
post #4 of 16 Old 08-12-2013, 03:07 PM

if I understand correctly, the linked projector is good to go and ~$350 delivered - add player, screen and several sets of shutter glasses at ~$21 each and you should have $800 or so left for movies, sound system, whatever.

http://www.amazon.com/ViewSonic-PJD5134-Projectorwith-Blu-Ray-Integrated/dp/B00A9S3OOC/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1375124420&sr=1-1&keywords=3d+projector
post #5 of 16 Old 08-12-2013, 04:06 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

1. Acer H5370BD
2. Acer H6510BD

http://www.projectorcentral.com/Acer-H6510BD.htm

http://www.projectorcentral.com/Acer-H5370BD.htm

Those 2 are going to be my choices..

As for the blu ray player lets see:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Samsung+-+Smart+3D+Wi-Fi+Built-In+Blu-ray+Player/7929052.p?id=1218928802435&skuId=7929052

That is the one I'll get.. I currently own a Samsung and am Happy with its performance Ill stick with Samsung.. Heck it is even a Smart one..

as for the Receiver lets see:

http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/MARSR5007/MARANTZ-SR5007-100w-x7-NetworkingTheater-Receiver-w/AirPlay-3D-4K/1.html

Will that receiver be OK it says READY does that matter??

Now for the 3D Glasses. I was looking where are some good places to get decent, quality 3D Glasses for the Acer DLP Projector??

http://3dglassesunlimited.com/shop/dlp-3d-glasses-by-quantum-3d/

Also a screen was mentioned, Do I need a Special 3D Screen?? I already have a screen just trying to find out if I need a special screen or will ANY Screen work with 3D..??

I have an exisiting HT Room but it is only 2D currently.. sO I just from what I see need the above mentioned and maybe minus the screen and Ill be good. it came in under my 1500 Budget too wink.gif

post #6 of 16 Old 08-13-2013, 01:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Nephilim1 View Post

1. Acer H5370BD
2. Acer H6510BD

http://www.projectorcentral.com/Acer-H6510BD.htm

http://www.projectorcentral.com/Acer-H5370BD.htm

Those 2 are going to be my choices..

IMO go with #2 (Acer H6510BD)! It is 1080p native, while the first one is only 720p. When going big you will notice the difference.

A special screen is not necessary. I used a simple white painted wall until I made my screen. This is not passive where you'd need a special screen. Of course the screen can improve the quality of the picture, but there is no screen requirement for 3D.

Good luck!
post #7 of 16 Old 08-14-2013, 01:51 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickels55 View Post

IMO go with #2 (Acer H6510BD)! It is 1080p native, while the first one is only 720p. When going big you will notice the difference.

A special screen is not necessary. I used a simple white painted wall until I made my screen. This is not passive where you'd need a special screen. Of course the screen can improve the quality of the picture, but there is no screen requirement for 3D.

Good luck!

Yes I thought the 720P would be good Price wise but I think you are correct and it is time for me to goto 1080P. I have a 720P PRojector now but the blu ray is 1080P and I have read that anything over 55" will start to notice an improvement over 720P.. Guess I';ll have to dig a little deeper wink.gif

OK I figured NO specialy screen was needed for this type of 3D.. Now onto the 3D Glasses, are the ones I linked to any good, they seem to be DLP Link Universal glasses. so that means I will not need a emitter??

post #8 of 16 Old 08-14-2013, 06:33 AM
AVS Special Member

DLP Link glasses do not need an emitter. As for quality, there are so many out there at this point it is tough to say without trying them out. Some of them have color shifting issues, some of them have ghosting problems, some are uncomfortable, and some are perfect. I think people here mostly like the True Depth brand, there is also the new Optoma BG-ZD301. Of course with quality comes a higher price. I use the cheap-o Ultra Clear ones and am fine with the color shifting issues. The glasses you linked too seem fine, but who knows until you try them with your equipment? You have 90 days to return them, so why not give them a shot? Also - there are cheaper ones from SainSonic that have a lot of good reviews on amazon.
http://www.amazon.com/SainSonic-SSZ-200DLB-Rechargeable-ViewSonic-Projector/dp/B0085JBI6S/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1376486983&sr=8-1&keywords=3d+dlp+link+glasses+acer

Those are probably "meh" quality at that price.
post #9 of 16 Old 08-20-2013, 09:18 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I like the 3dtv corp glasses amazon sells good price 60.00 for two icant tell the difference between these and truedept glasses
post #10 of 16 Old 08-23-2013, 05:42 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

OK I have decided on the new system.. I will get started in the New Year Wish me luck I can wait till completion.. I love 3D But not to excited about going to public movie houses frown.gif

here is the list:

1. Acer 6510BD
2. Samsung BD-F5900
3. Marantz SR5007
4. 3D Glasses still need to be determined but those ones from Amazon at 60 for two look appealing..

post #11 of 16 Old 02-14-2014, 05:04 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Nephilim1 View Post

OK I have decided on the new system.. I will get started in the New Year Wish me luck I can wait till completion.. I love 3D But not to excited about going to public movie houses frown.gif

here is the list:

1. Acer 6510BD
2. Samsung BD-F5900
3. Marantz SR5007
4. 3D Glasses still need to be determined but those ones from Amazon at 60 for two look appealing..

OK I am almost ready to start Buying itmes on my list.. I would like to get get a few questions sorted out..

1. Which 3D glasses out there are good or should I buy the glasses to fit my Projector the Acer??

2. Will I be able to watch 3D TV with this setup?? I have the cablebox and service already just need to know will the above equipment work or will I need an extra conversion box or something..

post #12 of 16 Old 02-14-2014, 07:49 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 28
I imagine you're not going to be happy about my advice, but I think you'd be better off with:

1) Optoma HD131xe projector -- Why? It's less expensive, more modern technologiy with a faster refresh rate of 144hz for the display (which avoids the motion judder unavoidably associated with 120hz 3D displays and also reduces flickering), and it gives you a choice between DLP-Link and RF glasses. DLP-Link is cheaper but RF is better.

2) EStar ESG6100 RF glasses and emitter -- Why? RF is better than DLP-Link because you can lose contrast and shadow detail with the "white flash" (or "red flash") used to sync a 3D projector with DLP-Link glasses. You can also lose sync in very bright scenes with DLP-Link. I've used both DLP-Link and RF, and I'm firmly sold on RF.

I have no strong recommendations for a receiver or a 3D Blu-ray player, although I have heard good things about the Sony BDP-S5100 Blu-ray player. My previous 3D Blu-ray player was a Samsung, and it just didn't hold up very long. (I don't have the Sony player; I bought an Oppo.)

My main reason to encourage you in this direction is NOT that the Acer is an undesirable projector. From what I've read, it's an excellent projector, and I seriously considered it myself a few months ago. But the twin advantages of the faster refresh rate and the choice between DLP-Link and RF glasses give the edge to the Optoma (in my opinion, of course).

I hope you enjoy 3D in the home as much as I do!
post #13 of 16 Old 02-16-2014, 07:01 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fxrh View Post

I imagine you're not going to be happy about my advice, but I think you'd be better off with:

1) Optoma HD131xe projector -- Why? It's less expensive, more modern technologiy with a faster refresh rate of 144hz for the display (which avoids the motion judder unavoidably associated with 120hz 3D displays and also reduces flickering), and it gives you a choice between DLP-Link and RF glasses. DLP-Link is cheaper but RF is better.

2) EStar ESG6100 RF glasses and emitter -- Why? RF is better than DLP-Link because you can lose contrast and shadow detail with the "white flash" (or "red flash") used to sync a 3D projector with DLP-Link glasses. You can also lose sync in very bright scenes with DLP-Link. I've used both DLP-Link and RF, and I'm firmly sold on RF.

I have no strong recommendations for a receiver or a 3D Blu-ray player, although I have heard good things about the Sony BDP-S5100 Blu-ray player. My previous 3D Blu-ray player was a Samsung, and it just didn't hold up very long. (I don't have the Sony player; I bought an Oppo.)

My main reason to encourage you in this direction is NOT that the Acer is an undesirable projector. From what I've read, it's an excellent projector, and I seriously considered it myself a few months ago. But the twin advantages of the faster refresh rate and the choice between DLP-Link and RF glasses give the edge to the Optoma (in my opinion, of course).

I hope you enjoy 3D in the home as much as I do!

Well, I will be just the opposite, Glad that you recommended this and it appears the RF Could be a better system then the display link glasses system..

here is my new updated list:

1. Optoma HD131xe Projector..
2. Oppo BDP-103..
3. EStar ESG6100 RF glasses and emitter
4. Marantz SR5007 Reciever..

Well I am going to go with the oppo I figure since I still use DVD-A/SACD MC Disks that it would be better server to get the All in one unit.. Plus it does a few other things like Netflix and such, looks to be a winner..

Hopefully by the end of Spring I will be converted over and Enjoying 3D Theater in Both My PC Room and Home Theater Room..

I built a 3D Vision Triple Projector setup in my PC room for my Gaming Rig 3D is the Coolest I love 3D and now will have it in my HT.. wink.gif

post #14 of 16 Old 02-17-2014, 01:48 AM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Thanks for responding favorably to my suggestions. Sounds like a dynamite system to me. I am pleased to see that you are getting an Oppo. I absolutely love my BDP-103D, which I bought at the same time I got my Optoma HD25-LV projector (over the Christmas holidays). Please let us know how things are progressing with you and your setup.
post #15 of 16 Old 02-17-2014, 08:55 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fxrh View Post

Thanks for responding favorably to my suggestions. Sounds like a dynamite system to me. I am pleased to see that you are getting an Oppo. I absolutely love my BDP-103D, which I bought at the same time I got my Optoma HD25-LV projector (over the Christmas holidays). Please let us know how things are progressing with you and your setup.

OH no Problem I don't mind people making suggestions.. I can only research so many systems and rely on people like on these forums that =already have their 3D Systemns and what they should and should not have done..

I was going to skimp on the Blu ray player and cut my budget down a bit but I really always like the Oppo units and since this does all I will need especially the DVD-A/SACD Playback.. I will stick with having just the One player and put my Current play a Denon 1930ci in Storage..

I may buy the Oppo first..

post #16 of 16 Old 02-19-2014, 01:02 PM

Liked: 12
I would opt for an Oppo 93 instead of the 103 being the 103 has skimped out on some features from the pervious unit, and you might be able to save a few in the long run and use it towards something else, but that is just my opinion

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Reply 3D Tech Talk

Tags
Optoma 3d Xl Converter Box For 3d Video And Gaming , Benq W1070 1080p 3d Projector , Optoma Hd33 1080p 3d Projector , Acer H6510bd Dlp 3d Projector , Acer H5370bd Dlp 3d Projector
Gear in this thread - 1080p by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page