I can see 3D after 40+ years! Need suggestions for new experience. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 08-14-2013, 06:29 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I had eye surgery when I was just a toddler. As a result I've never had much luck with many 3D experiences, i.e. I have never been able to see one of those 3D posters.

However yesterday I tried a 3D Imax again (have done it before with mixed results), and I was surprised that I had a pretty good time. Maybe the tech has improved to the point where it's overcome my shortcomings.

Anyhow, we recently installed our first PJ 5020UB. We love it but until yesterday I had never considered 3D. Now I'd like to give it a try.

I have a few questions:

- Glasses: we are 9 people in our family, the PJ only came with 2 pairs. I can't spend $50/pair, what would be a good choice? Is there a guide somewhere that explains the differences? I assume the stock glasses are active but I have no idea and would like to understand what types there are.
- Does the player matter? I'll either pick up a used PS3 or a newer stand alone player (cheaper is better for me)?
- How's the 3D on the 5020? Any tips?
-. Content; my parents would like to give it a try but a good documentary is probably the best test for them. Any suggestions?
- I've read Avatar is great for 3D. Any other suggestions?

Fr. John
Screenshots Thread
Panasonic Plasma Break-in FAQ HERE
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 08-15-2013, 07:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Hi, welcome to 3D. For the Epson 5020, PS3 glasses work fine and they have been available on the internet cheap - but they are kind of getting sold out, so hurry.

Most 5020 owners find the 3D to be fantastic. A small minority find their projectors to be maybe defective. The 3D looks double or blurry to them in the part of the image that appear furthest away or closest. That should not happen, so if you are not thrilled with the 3D you see, call Epson and they will take care of you.

The player doesn't matter so long as it plays 3D - not all do, but the PS3 does.

As for content (besides Avatar, which is for sure) you will get widely different advise from different people. Some recommend ones I thought were bad movies.

For IMAX type documentaries, you con't hardly go wrong. They are all pretty great in 3D. My favorites are Under the Sea, Dinosaurs 3D: Giants of Patagonia, and Hubble 3D.

I also love Cave of Dreams 3D, which shows cave paintings like you are there, and you see what all the excitement has been about. Those cavemen took great advantage of the contours of the walls.

I also like The Ultimate Wave Tahiti 3D.

As for regular movies, I also like and admire Alice in Wonderland 3D, Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs 3D, and Prometheus 3D.
post #3 of 7 Old 08-15-2013, 07:58 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrickMcKaha View Post

Hi, welcome to 3D. For the Epson 5020, PS3 glasses work fine and they have been available on the internet cheap - but they are kind of getting sold out, so hurry.

I was looking at the Sony's but wasn't sure if they would work. I was also looking at the Samsung's that are so cheap. Any comment?

Fr. John
Screenshots Thread
post #4 of 7 Old 08-21-2013, 12:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Here is a link that discusses 3D glasses compatible with the Epson projectors:

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1372529/epson-3010-glasses

It can get confusing. The TV manufacturers changed their 3D glasses tech over time. You will need ir active 3D glasses, not DLP Link and not RF or Bluetooth. And you will be most sure your glasses will work if they are "universal" ir active glasses. Good luck.

The only complaint about the PS3 glasses is that they run a little smaller than some others. People with hat size 7 1/2 or larger might not find them comfortable. But for the rest of us, they are great and they cost about $20 right now.
post #5 of 7 Old 08-21-2013, 01:59 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Thanks for posting.

It's all a moot point now.

I bought glasses for everyone, kids included ages 8-19, the PJ worked just fine.

Unfortunately no one was terribly keen on using it. It simply could not compare to the 2D experience. It's also not much fun going to the trouble installing a nice 120" screen just to then frame it in with eye glass frames. It's distracting and frankly most of us found it uncomfortable for more than 20 minutes or so.

I want to be clear, it was better than the Imax, just not better than 2D.

Fr. John
Screenshots Thread
post #6 of 7 Old 09-29-2013, 12:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 32
You're sitting too close

My Videos

A movie with good 3D does not necessarily equal a good 3D movie!

post #7 of 7 Old 10-02-2013, 02:37 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fr. John View Post

Thanks for posting.

It's all a moot point now.

I bought glasses for everyone, kids included ages 8-19, the PJ worked just fine.

Unfortunately no one was terribly keen on using it. It simply could not compare to the 2D experience. It's also not much fun going to the trouble installing a nice 120" screen just to then frame it in with eye glass frames. It's distracting and frankly most of us found it uncomfortable for more than 20 minutes or so.

I want to be clear, it was better than the Imax, just not better than 2D.

In all honesty I don't think much of any 3d at home that isn't done using a dlp display. Sure it can be okay, but if it isn't dlp there is always distracting crosstalk and flicker which will cause eye strain among many. If you really want to see what 3d can be like try and see a dlp front projector in action. Also how fare away are you sitting from you 120" screen, if the glasses don't cover the whole screen I think you are sitting way to close. This of course isn't an issue if you are happy with that, but you want be able to view the whole frame at any given time and films with subtitles will be a pain to watch.

As for films it of course depends on your tastes. The below would be my recommendations for films shoot in native 3d:
Hugo (this is an absolute must, Scorsese shooting in 3d, the results still have my draw hit the floor every time I view it)
Coraline
Prometheus
How To Train Your Dragon
House of Wax (the original from the 50's that was indeed shoot in 3d)
Legend of the Guardians: The Owls of Ga'houlle
(I haven't seen it but I hear great things about Life of Pi).

Some more recommendations of films not shoot in 3d but with excellent 3d conversions:
Titanic
Jurassic Park
Beauty and the Beast
The Lion King
The Wizard of Oz
Reply 3D Tech Talk

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page