VIP Theatre Plus setup query. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 09-11-2013, 04:00 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm interested in getting the VIP Theatre Plus to try and play 3D on my acer p1220 which is a 3D DLP projector of native resolution on 1024x768. I'm a bit confused at the moment and hopefully someone can answer me biggrin.gif

I watch my movies via a HTPC with XMBC playing 720p and 1080p mkv movie files. I have set the resolution on the HTPC to 720p and XMBC to 720p. If i was to purchase the Theatre plus converter does this mean i have to set the HTPC's display to 1024x768 to enable the 120Hz and then enable 3D on my projector and then i will be able to play 3D SBS files via XMBC to watch 3D? Or does the Theatre Plus just forces the projector to 120Hz and then i just enable 3D on the projector and watch the 3D as before leaving all my display resolutions as is? Hopefully this all makes sense as its giving a headache thinking how it all works smile.gif

Besides the threatre Plus i've seen this 3D converter on ebay http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/140986180902?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649 and not sure why it says does not work for 1024x768 3D DLP projectors? As some of the projectors tested have the same native resolution as mine rolleyes.gif I quite like this as it has 2 HDMI inputs and also a remote.

Anyone can offer me some advice please?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 09-11-2013, 10:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 61
The Theatre and Theatre + are really designed to work with consumer electronics (CE) gear such as 3D BluRay players and televisions or HT projectors, not computer video gear. You have to feed them with CE resolutions and scanrates. This would be 1080p60, 1080p24, 720p60, etc. 1024X768 is a computer video resolution and will NOT work for 3D either into the Theatre or out of it. In addition, computer scanrates are slightly different from CE scanrates. To a PC, 60Hz is exactly that-60.000 Hz. CE 60 Hz is actually ~59.934 Hz. See the list of supported resolutions on VIP's website (look at the user or setup guides).
ps2user likes this.

...Royce...

"I never drink...wine."
Bela Lugosi, DRACULA, 1931
post #3 of 9 Old 09-11-2013, 01:27 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the extra info it has helped and also made me think that i've wasted money on the projector frown.gif I will try their website and et their user manuals for extra info. Can't believe its this difficult to try and get 3D working frown.gif
post #4 of 9 Old 09-11-2013, 01:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by ps2user View Post

Thanks for the extra info it has helped and also made me think that i've wasted money on the projector frown.gif I will try their website and et their user manuals for extra info. Can't believe its this difficult to try and get 3D working frown.gif

Sorry. I was trying to save you some wasted money and frustration. Have you considered an NVidia 3D setup? It may work for what you want to do, and may keep you from having to buy a new projector.

If your projector can accept a 720p or 1080p CE input (but is still converting internally to 1024X768), the Theatre or Theatre + might work. That's assuming the conversion to 1024X768 doesn't screw up the 3D sync. You'd still have to feed the Theatre a regular CE 3D signal to kick it into 3D mode.
ps2user likes this.

...Royce...

"I never drink...wine."
Bela Lugosi, DRACULA, 1931
post #5 of 9 Old 09-11-2013, 02:38 PM - Thread Starter

Well in my 'simple 3D head' i can see that there are so much variables for this to go wrong and from your valuable input. It was my silly mistake to have brought the projector since it was on a very good deal didn't research enough to know things are so complicated regarding 3D lol. Well since i've been using the projector the whole family has been hooked on the larger screen biggrin.gif

I have tried the Stereoscpic player and i couldn't get it to work properly and managed to get some 3D working now and then but the results were not that great, i think i still need to play with the settings a bit more but spent way too much time. Also don't fancy getting another GFX card to test out NVIDA 3D vision as i quite like to just play my movies via XMBC.

I'm not a big 3D fan to be honest and try and watch movies in the cinema as 2D instead so i just don;t know how i got the 3D bug to try and get 3D working with the projector. Anyway enough of me ranting and i really appreciate your help and will probably sell the projector and get something which is a 720p 3D DLP projector and start again, at least i will have the resolution correct.
post #6 of 9 Old 09-11-2013, 06:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 29
Why the Theatre Plus and not just the regular VIP Theatre device? The plus outputs 3D at 1080p which is too high for your projector. The regular Theatre outputs at 720p, which sounds perfect for your needs at a lower price.
post #7 of 9 Old 09-12-2013, 01:05 PM - Thread Starter

Very true - i just thought the plus replaced the regular one, but after looking at their website i can see that the regular one is the one i need and much cheaper. Thanks for the info.

Well i've managed to return the projector and get a refund so now i can start again and try and get things right biggrin.gif I have now purchased a used Optoma GT750 which has the 3d-xl built in so hopefully all is ok and i will be watching 3D on a big screen.
post #8 of 9 Old 09-13-2013, 05:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by ps2user View Post

I'm interested in getting the VIP Theatre Plus to try and play 3D on my acer p1220 which is a 3D DLP projector of native resolution on 1024x768. I'm a bit confused at the moment and hopefully someone can answer me biggrin.gif

I watch my movies via a HTPC with XMBC playing 720p and 1080p mkv movie files. I have set the resolution on the HTPC to 720p and XMBC to 720p. If i was to purchase the Theatre plus converter does this mean i have to set the HTPC's display to 1024x768 to enable the 120Hz and then enable 3D on my projector and then i will be able to play 3D SBS files via XMBC to watch 3D? Or does the Theatre Plus just forces the projector to 120Hz and then i just enable 3D on the projector and watch the 3D as before leaving all my display resolutions as is? Hopefully this all makes sense as its giving a headache thinking how it all works smile.gif

Besides the threatre Plus i've seen this 3D converter on ebay http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/140986180902?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649 and not sure why it says does not work for 1024x768 3D DLP projectors? As some of the projectors tested have the same native resolution as mine rolleyes.gif I quite like this as it has 2 HDMI inputs and also a remote.

Anyone can offer me some advice please?
my HD66 was not listed as a compatible player with the ebay unit you linked but I messaged the seller for return options explaining the situation and they told me I could return it if I did so in a timely fashion..... I dont need to return it however since it works great with my 1280x800 native projector when I output a 720p signal from the bluray player. I intend to test 1080p from the player once my new hdmi cable arrives as its the weak link in the chain at this point.
post #9 of 9 Old 09-13-2013, 10:44 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by augiedoggy View Post

my HD66 was not listed as a compatible player with the ebay unit you linked but I messaged the seller for return options explaining the situation and they told me I could return it if I did so in a timely fashion..... I dont need to return it however since it works great with my 1280x800 native projector when I output a 720p signal from the bluray player. I intend to test 1080p from the player once my new hdmi cable arrives as its the weak link in the chain at this point.

Your HD66 will fit 720p so i presume there was more chance of it working. My native res is 1024x768 so its much lower and so it all depends if after the 3D converstion if the projector will mess up the 3D sync when it needs to convert or scale it to fit as mentioned by Roll-Royce above. So after poundering more and not having a reply from VIP I decided to return the projector and get a refund. I have now ordered a GT750 which is the same native resolution as yours but has the 3D-XL so hopefully everything should go smoothly with my PS3, UK Satellite receiver and hopefully I wouldn't need to tinker too much with my HTPC.

I managed to get a reply form my query so i thought i post it, just incase it might help anyone else,

VIP forwarded your question to us. It is our understanding that you could leave your htpc resolution set to 720p just like you have now and with the VIP 3D Theater in between it will pass the 720p signal to your projector and your projector will still scale it and allow you to watch 3D with the DLP-Link glasses.

What worries me is that its still a bit vague from the reply. Anyway I will have to wait for the GT750 to arrive and hopefully it will not be too much trouble to setup 3D.
Reply 3D Tech Talk

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page