BluRay Full 3D and HD Audio from HTPC/Harmon Kardon - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 10-19-2013, 03:31 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

Hey Everyone,

I am trying to figure out how I can watch full 3D BluRays (Frame Packing) on my current setup while retaining the best audio quality (DTS-HD, etc) as well. My current setup is:

TV: Panasonic TC-P60ST60 (In the next few days)

Receiver: Harmon Kardon AVR-1600

HTPC: Dual Core Celeron G530 w/4GB DDR3 Ram, Sapphire Radeon HD  6450 1 GB. This is running XBMC Frodo 12.2.

Currently I have video/audio sent from the Radeon to the Harmon Kardon which then passes through to the TV.

From what I understand the Harmon Kardon AVR-1600 does not support 3D Pass-through (HDMI 1.4a), but its also my understanding that my video card does support 3D HDMI 1.4a (Please correct me if im wrong).

I was thinking of having the HTPC connected directly to the Panasonic for full 3D but then i'd lose the ability to get HD audio from HDMI to my receiver. I also know that XBMC does not currently support Full 3D (only SBS) so I'd need to use a 3rd party player.

Can someone suggest if its even possible for me to get Full 3D (Frame packing, not SBS) as well as keeping the full HD audio that comes on 3D BluRays? Or is the only solution to get a new receiver that supports 3D or possibly even ripping the BluRay and converting the HD audio to DTS/AC3?

Thanks!

Eric

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 10-20-2013, 08:58 PM - Thread Starter

Is getting a video card with 2 HDMI output ports an alternative? Maybe use HDMI port 1 output directly to the TV and HDMI port 2 directly to my receiver for lossless HD audio?

Could that work?

post #3 of 3 Old 10-24-2013, 07:13 PM - Thread Starter

For anyone who is interested, I believe I got this all figured out. I was able to use the intel graphics built into the Celeron G530 CPU for audio output only. So currently my setup is:

HDMI 1.3 out on motherboard utilizing G530 -> Receiver for HD-Audio

HDMI 1.4a out on Radeon HD 6450 -> TV

So even though I have a receiver that doesn't support 3D, I should be able to still watch 3D BluRays with HD-Audio.

Hope this helps for anyone else who might want to try this.

Reply 3D Tech Talk

Tags
Panasonic Tc P60st60 60 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Harman Kardon Avr1600 50w 7 1 Channel A V Receiver Black
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page