JVC MonsterVision… driving me mad! - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 12 Old 11-15-2013, 04:40 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Hoping the collective brain of AVS can help… Just got a JVC RS-4810 and with that two sets of MonsterVision Max 3D. Finally got them to sync, but no matter what, I get cross-eyed with them. Tried to change the fine tuning, but to with no luck. What the heck can I do about this? Is there a setting I'm missing? This is my first set 3D PJ (screen btw. is Elite 4k, 106", source is Oppo BDP-95).

"Suddenly the thought struck me, my floor is someone elses ceiling" - Nils Ferlin
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 11-15-2013, 10:48 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 87
Are you sure that the MonsterVision Max (you didn't say which model) is compatible with both the JVC and your screen. I understand if the screen maintains some of the light polarity, it might confuse the glasses (and the wearer of the glasses).

Does the same thing happen with the JVC 3D glasses (assuming you have a pair)?

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1375094/official-jvc-x30-rs45-owners-thread/4290
post #3 of 12 Old 11-15-2013, 03:05 PM - Thread Starter

The MonsterVision's are the Max 3D. As far as I understand, they are compatible with the JVC RS4810, so that shouldn't be a problem.

I honestly have no idea if the screen is retaining some of the polarity or not...

"Suddenly the thought struck me, my floor is someone elses ceiling" - Nils Ferlin
post #4 of 12 Old 11-15-2013, 08:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by Audiojan View Post

Hoping the collective brain of AVS can help… Just got a JVC RS-4810 and with that two sets of MonsterVision Max 3D. Finally got them to sync, but no matter what, I get cross-eyed with them. Tried to change the fine tuning, but to with no luck. What the heck can I do about this? Is there a setting I'm missing? This is my first set 3D PJ (screen btw. is Elite 4k, 106", source is Oppo BDP-95).
You didn't mention it, but did you also happen to get an external Monster RF emitter? If not, you'll need one.

...Royce...

"I never drink...wine."
Bela Lugosi, DRACULA, 1931
post #5 of 12 Old 11-16-2013, 05:12 AM - Thread Starter

I think so… or rather, I did get the little "box" that connects to the 3D port on the projector. If that is RF or not, I don't know… looking on the back of it, it says MonsterVision MV-BCD-0100, so I do believe I have everything I would need. 3D is new to me.

post #6 of 12 Old 11-16-2013, 10:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I think so… or rather, I did get the little "box" that connects to the 3D port on the projector. If that is RF or not, I don't know… looking on the back of it, it says MonsterVision MV-BCD-0100, so I do believe I have everything I would need. 3D is new to me.

Yep, that's it. I found that doing adjustments using its joystick is pretty tough. Instead, I use their PC management app to make changes to delay and duty cycle. It also has a button to do "one-click" polarity reversal. If you're feeling crosseyed, that may be the problem. The utility should still be available on the Monster website.

...Royce...

"I never drink...wine."
post #7 of 12 Old 11-16-2013, 01:49 PM

Liked: 16
Are these monstervision glasses still being made ?
post #8 of 12 Old 11-16-2013, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peterpack View Post

Are these monstervision glasses still being made ?

The MonsterVision glasses are based on Bit Cauldron RF, and glasses that use Bit Cauldron RF and interoperate with MonsterVision are still being made and sold by companies including Optoma and EStar America.

philip (dot) sosie (at)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Twitter
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
or
post #9 of 12 Old 11-20-2013, 03:14 AM - Thread Starter

After downloading the EStar utility and upgraded the firmware, it seems to work a little better. I still feel like I'm getting cross-eyed after a while and I do see some ghosting.

Does anyone have a suggestion what duty cycle setting should be for a JVC RS-4810? (if this is a dumb question, let me know… learning 3D…)

Also, could this be related to the fact that I'm using an acoustically transparent screen? (Elite 4k material)

post #10 of 12 Old 11-20-2013, 08:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

After downloading the EStar utility and upgraded the firmware, it seems to work a little better. I still feel like I'm getting cross-eyed after a while and I do see some ghosting.

Does anyone have a suggestion what duty cycle setting should be for a JVC RS-4810? (if this is a dumb question, let me know… learning 3D…)

Also, could this be related to the fact that I'm using an acoustically transparent screen? (Elite 4k material)

I'd start with EStar's recommended LCD settings, but the final duty cycle is going to be entirely up to you, since it'll depend on what you're seeing as you adjust it. Usually you will see the image darken as you reduce duty cycle, and brighten as you increase it. The dimming will reduce the visibility of ghosting, and you have to balance that with how dim an image you are willing to have. Delay impacts the actual ghosting. You do have to be aware that running the delay slider through its full range seems to reverse glasses polarity, so you may have to hit the polarity button after minimizing ghosting to avoid the crosseyed feeling.

With our CRT, I also have color bands that appear at the top and bottom of the picture that I have to adjust delay and duty cycle for as well.

AFAIK, the only 3D setup that is strongly impacted by screen type is passive. You have to have a certain type of screen material for a passive setup.

...Royce...

"I never drink...wine."
post #11 of 12 Old 11-22-2013, 04:30 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks Rolls-Royce. By any chance, you don't happen to know the recommended LCD settings do you? I did search the internet, but nothing came up...

post #12 of 12 Old 11-22-2013, 06:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks Rolls-Royce. By any chance, you don't happen to know the recommended LCD settings do you? I did search the internet, but nothing came up...

I've seen a chart for number of emitter LEDs lit when setting duty cycle defaults for different display types, but I'll be darned if I can remember where it was. You may want to PM member PhilipSosie here with that question. He's with EStar America and has posted info on defaults for different displays before. He's a good guy.

...Royce...

"I never drink...wine."
Reply 3D Tech Talk

Tags
Jvc Dla Rs4810 3d Home Theater Projector , Oppo Bdp 95 Blu Ray Disc Player
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page