3D DVD played on a 2D TV - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 11-21-2013, 11:42 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Youtube has many 3D videos that show the two images side-by-side. The idea is to view the videos by crossing your eyes so the right eye sees the left images and the left eye sees the right image. I made a viewer out of two prisms so I can watch the videos without being cross eyed. Actually I found most of the youtube videos are not cross eyed but side by side. The right eye should see the right image and so on. With the viewer the videos look very good and there is no eye strain.

My question is:
If I run a 3D DVD in my standard 2D player, will it display the video in a side by side manner on my HDTV?

Some of the youtube videos are compressed in longitude direction. There is a program that will correct that problem if needed.

Here is a picture of the viewer. It was made from a microscope slide I cut in half and some other clear plastic parts. It is glued together with a water proof rubber cement. When filled with water it becomes two prisms to allow 3D viewing.

http://www.3d-forums.com/threads/3d-viewers.853/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 11-22-2013, 09:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjsas View Post

Youtube has many 3D videos that show the two images side-by-side. The idea is to view the videos by crossing your eyes so the right eye sees the left images and the left eye sees the right image. I made a viewer out of two prisms so I can watch the videos without being cross eyed. Actually I found most of the youtube videos are not cross eyed but side by side. The right eye should see the right image and so on. With the viewer the videos look very good and there is no eye strain.

My question is:
If I run a 3D DVD in my standard 2D player, will it display the video in a side by side manner on my HDTV?

Some of the youtube videos are compressed in longitude direction. There is a program that will correct that problem if needed.

Here is a picture of the viewer. It was made from a microscope slide I cut in half and some other clear plastic parts. It is glued together with a water proof rubber cement. When filled with water it becomes two prisms to allow 3D viewing.

http://www.3d-forums.com/threads/3d-viewers.853/

A 3D disc will only play in a 2D player if it is anaglyph 3D, meaning you have to use the old-school cyan and magenta glasses like you see in photos of moviegoers from the 50s. Newer 3D titles are totally different animals and you must have 3D-capable players and displays to properly show their content.

...Royce...

"I never drink...wine."
Bela Lugosi, DRACULA, 1931
post #3 of 5 Old 11-22-2013, 10:49 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 23
A bluray 3D can play in a 2D player, but only in 2D, left view only. You can use a computer to rip the disk and covert it to Side-by-side 3D, and play that (authored disk or video file) on 2D equipment.

Don't know about 3D DVD.
post #4 of 5 Old 11-22-2013, 07:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roussi View Post

A bluray 3D can play in a 2D player, but only in 2D, left view only. You can use a computer to rip the disk and covert it to Side-by-side 3D, and play that (authored disk or video file) on 2D equipment.

Don't know about 3D DVD.

You're right. I should've said "A 3D disc will only play as 2D in a 2D player".

...Royce...

"I never drink...wine."
Bela Lugosi, DRACULA, 1931
post #5 of 5 Old 11-23-2013, 12:33 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Apparently I need to find a program to rip the disc, a program to convert it to side by side an another to correct the aspect ratio. The end result will be 3D on my cheap 32" HDTV, but only at one viewing point.
I found 'The wax museum' one the web in side by side format and it was pretty good.
3D is OK but for me it is not worth spending a large amount of money to have. I can get enough from youtube to satisfy my appetite for 3D.

All that being said, does anyone have a suggestion for the programs needed?
Reply 3D Tech Talk

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page