Mitsubishi/Playstation 3D Issues - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 20 Old 12-26-2013, 12:04 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
My family bought some 3D components and movies for my christmas this year. I'm late to the game but purchased a 3D ready mitsubishi WD65C9 two years ago in hopes of getting around to it. I have a PS3 purchased around the same time as the tv. So everything is fairly new. The wife purchased a 3active emitter and three pair of sony glasses.

I was under the impression that this was all I needed but the movies wouldn't play and I was given a warning that one of the components was not 3D compatible. I did some research and discovered I needed a high speed hdmi. I quickly purchased one, replaced the other, and it still didnt recognize the tv. I did a bit more digging and realized the tv works in a different 3D format than the PS3.

From what I gather I'm up the creek unless I purchase a mitsubishi adapter or a blu-ray player that supports the same checkerboard 3D as the tv. Would that be correct or is there another option I'm unaware of? Also, will the sony glasses and the emitter work properly with either of those options?

I appreciate any and all help in advance. Happy holidays everyone.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 12-27-2013, 05:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Your cheapest option would be to purchase a player that can output the checkerboard format needed by the Mits. Panasonic players currently do-I'm not sure of any others. The Mits adapter is scarce and $$$, but will be needed if you plan to watch any other 3D content such as sports via set-top box.

Your glasses could be more of a problem. If they are Sony-brand glasses, they might not be compatible with that emitter. Brand mixing-and-matching can be a show-stopper when it comes to 3D glasses and emitters. Although there was a spec recently adopted to allow interoperability of different brands, the majority of the 3D gear out there right now doesn't adhere to it.

...Royce...

"I never drink...wine."
Bela Lugosi, DRACULA, 1931
post #3 of 20 Old 12-27-2013, 10:51 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I agree, the cheapest source of 3D would be a Panasonic Blu-Ray player the outputs the "checkerboard" format for your DLP set. Forget the Sony glasses and get some DLP LInk glasses, I have a pair of these and they work well. You do not need any "emitter", just the glasses. Does your WD65C9 have setting in the menu for turning 3D on and off and inverting the DLP link signal? Some of the lower Mits models did not support 3D, make sure your does. I use a WD65837 and it works fine for 3D.

http://www.amazon.com/SainSonic-Rechargeable-Mitsubishi-ViewSonic-Projector/dp/B00BVUNZUU/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1388169742&sr=8-3&keywords=dlp+link+3d+glasses+mitsubishi+tv

Mike T
post #4 of 20 Old 12-27-2013, 12:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtallent View Post

I agree, the cheapest source of 3D would be a Panasonic Blu-Ray player the outputs the "checkerboard" format for your DLP set. Forget the Sony glasses and get some DLP LInk glasses, I have a pair of these and they work well. You do not need any "emitter", just the glasses. Does your WD65C9 have setting in the menu for turning 3D on and off and inverting the DLP link signal? Some of the lower Mits models did not support 3D, make sure your does. I use a WD65837 and it works fine for 3D.

http://www.amazon.com/SainSonic-Rechargeable-Mitsubishi-ViewSonic-Projector/dp/B00BVUNZUU/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1388169742&sr=8-3&keywords=dlp+link+3d+glasses+mitsubishi+tv

Mike T

I was just looking at the online manual for the OP's TV on TigerDirect, and DLP Link isn't mentioned anywhere. Instead, it specifically talks about the use of external emitters and glasses. The set has a 3D sync port, so since he has an emitter already, I think it's the way he should go.

...Royce...

"I never drink...wine."
Bela Lugosi, DRACULA, 1931
post #5 of 20 Old 12-27-2013, 09:40 PM - Thread Starter

The tv does in fact have a 3D mode that allows me to turn it off and on as well as standard/reverse settings. It's also equipped with a 3D emitter port in the rear of the set. The emitter and glasses seem to be working so it may just come down to a Panasonic player. I've spent the day hitting up stores (both online and in person) but no one seems to carry the older model Pannys I'd require. I'm now looking through Panasonics website. The only other catch I have is that I'm still running analog surround. I may just be behind in the times. lol

Here's a list of Panasonic players that will work for me. If I'm missing any feel free mention them. DMP-BDT100, DMP-BDT110, DMP-BDT210, DMP-BDT215, DMP-BDT220, DMP-BTD300, DMP-BDT310, DMP-BDT321.

I'm afraid digging up one of these players is my last ditch effort before letting go of the 3D dream.
post #6 of 20 Old 12-28-2013, 09:41 AM
Advanced Member

I have the DMP-BTD300 and the DMP-BTD210 and they work fine with checkerboard output to my 65837 DLP set through my old Onkyo amp.
Check eBay or Amazon for a used player, usually less than $100.

Mike T
old corps likes this.
post #7 of 20 Old 01-01-2014, 07:44 AM - Thread Starter

I ended up snagging a DMP-BDT220 and it's now in route. I hate buying electronics second hand but prices for a new player were twice as much. At least it's last years model and seemingly taken care of. So it should survive a bit longer. Having a tough time right out of the gate my fingers are crossed in hopes all this works once attached. Wish me luck!
post #8 of 20 Old 01-01-2014, 07:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnAverageViewer View Post

I ended up snagging a DMP-BDT220 and it's now in route. I hate buying electronics second hand but prices for a new player were twice as much. At least it's last years model and seemingly taken care of. So it should survive a bit longer. Having a tough time right out of the gate my fingers are crossed in hopes all this works once attached. Wish me luck!

Should work fine. I have the 220 and it works great with my Mits 73736. You'll just need to go into the players 3D settings and select checkerboard output.

Ed
post #9 of 20 Old 01-03-2014, 05:23 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for that. Will do. Should be here mid week. Looking forward to it.
post #10 of 20 Old 01-06-2014, 11:42 AM - Thread Starter

Okay, the player showed today. I hooked it up using an insten brand high speed hdmi. I also have a GE high speed hdmi if I need to switch. I turned on both the tvs 3D mode and the players checkerboard option. The emitter is plugged in and working and the glasses are turned on and blinking. I seem to be getting a 3D image but not seeing a 3D image. Below is the players test image:

This image remains the same with or without the glasses. The same goes for the movies. Just a blurry mess. Is there a setting I'm overlooking or can I assume the playstation glasses aren't as universal as they should be?
post #11 of 20 Old 01-07-2014, 03:28 PM - Thread Starter

I thought I might give a visual rundown of the components involved here and see if that sparks any interest. I'm at a loss at this point but can only assume it's the emitter or glasses causing the problem now.

Mitsubishi WD-65C9

Insten High Speed HDMI

Panasonic BDT220

3Active IR Emitter

Processed By eBay with ImageMagick, R1.1.1.M1

Playstation 3D Glasses

So where should I go from here?
post #12 of 20 Old 01-07-2014, 03:30 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Hi, I don't have the Mitsubishi but Samsung that uses the same technology. I also have the same BDT220. My guess is that your glasses are not compatible in the checkerboard format. The picture is right. You need dlp link glasses. To use the glasses you have with the emitter, the 3d format should be different. Without a mitsubishi tv, I can't be certain but I get 3d very easily with the similar setup and dlp link glasses.
PS: forgot to mention that I have those glasses as well. They work fine on the ps3 3d monitor which is a conventional 3d monitor. DLP tech is different. The other way to try may be to use a Nvidia card if that emitter is compatible. Not sure. I am certain that the glasses you have will not work in the dlp-checkerboard format.
post #13 of 20 Old 01-07-2014, 03:35 PM

One other thing. hdmi cable is not your problem.
post #14 of 20 Old 01-07-2014, 03:46 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Yes get some inexpensive DLP link glasses, you can't turn off the white flash of the DLP link on that model (I have the 60" version) and they block the flash much better than the IR glasses for better contrast in picture.

Smart enough to know better, to old to care
post #15 of 20 Old 01-07-2014, 04:59 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you guys. I'm looking at an Xpand brand at the moment. Any other particular brand I should look for?
post #16 of 20 Old 01-07-2014, 07:22 PM
Advanced Member

See my post #3 for a link to some DLP link 3D glasses that work with the DLP HDTV. You have to get the correct glasses for things to work.

Mike T
post #17 of 20 Old 01-09-2014, 07:49 PM - Thread Starter

Ordered. Last go around. Let's hope it works out.
post #18 of 20 Old 01-14-2014, 09:11 AM - Thread Starter

Glasses have arrived and are working great. I've been viewing clips from Amazing Spider-Man and Predator so far. Should get my first full viewing in tonight. I'm looking into the 2D to 3D conversion options now but I may not get those due to having the checkerboard format. Not sure. Still reading. Anyway, I really appreciate the input you guys have given me. If it weren't for that I'd likely given up long ago. Thanks so much.
post #19 of 20 Old 01-14-2014, 02:03 PM

Glad to hear that. DLP produces excellent 3D images and for having invested in it, if you can make use of the technology for the next few years, it is well worth it.
post #20 of 20 Old 01-30-2014, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vishwa Somayaji View Post

Glad to hear that. DLP produces excellent 3D images and for having invested in it, if you can make use of the technology for the next few years, it is well worth it.

Agreed and 3D gaming via PS3/4 or PC is awesome and my biggest use of 3D. Far exceeds watching 3D movies.
Reply 3D Tech Talk

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page