Harware Required to project 3D Images from an Optoma HD65 projector - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 05-06-2014, 03:43 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

Hi Everyone,

I have an Optoma HD65 and HTPC (specs below) and would like to enable my HD65 and PC to be able to play 3D movies.

Can you give me some advice please?

---------PC SPECS---------------------------------------------------------------------------

CASE = ANTEC Fusion Remote HTPC

MOTHERBOARD = Intel DG9650T

PROCESSOR = Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 @ 2.4ghz

RAM = 4gb Crucial Memory

GPU = 256mb ATI Radeon HD2400 PCI-e

HDD = 250gb SATA Primary / 500gb SATA Secondary

OPERATING SYSTEM = Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit

OTHER CARDS = Hauppauge Win TV and a D Link Airplus Wireless Card

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I am currently connecting the Optoma HD65 to the PC via a 1m HDMI v1.4 cable.

I am new to this forum so please bear with me but I have read a few other threads so I understand that:

1. I will need to download and install the 3D firmware from the Optoma website to make my HD65 3D (120hz)

2.  I will be needing a new 3D capable graphics card capable to 120hz refresh rate required for 3D

3. I will need some 3D glasses

4. I will need a 3D projector screen

I only intend to watch 3D movies and I have never used my PC for gaming.  With this in mind can you please advise me on:

1. What 3D graphics card to buy?  I only want one that will do the job.  I realise that my PC is old and is not cutting edge any more.  I have been looking at the VTX3D Radeon HD6450 1GB 1334MHz GDDR3 1GB Graphics Card which I can get for £25.93 (around $44) from Maplin Uk.  This card has AMD HD3D Technology

• Will this card do the job ok?

• My Intel DG9650T Motherboard has support for PCI Express* Revision 1.0a.  From what I can gather it will support PCI Express 2.0 x 16 GPUs.  Is that correct?

Please bear in mind when giving advice about which GPU to buy that I am only prepared to spend up to £40 (around $68).  Any modern graphics card must be an improvement on my old 256mb card which has been a bottleneck in my system for a while.  I am also looking for something that will be easy to configure to 120hz in Windows 7.

1. The optoma websites says that I will require Optoma DLP® LinkTM active shutter glasses – sold separately.  Is this correct or can I just use the 3D glasses that you get in the cinema?

2. Will I need to buy the Optoma 3D-XL 3D Projector adapter?  I only inted to watch £D movies through my PC so I am assuming that the answer to this is no.

3. Is a 3D projector screen absolutely essential?  I am currently projecting my Optoma HD65 onto a perfectly flat wall in my living room that I have painted matt white and the 720p image looks good.  Could I use this wall to view 3D images until I get round to getting a 3D screen delivered if required?

Any help and advice you can give me to get the 3D working will be greatly appreciated.  Thanks in advance.

Ian

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 05-06-2014, 09:18 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 21
A, B, C, D - all correct. You will also need player software, like PowerDVD or Total Media Theater. There are other cheaper players out there.

The card you selected will do the job. I don't think the PCI-e version matters.

1. You do need DLP-link *active* glasses. The ones in theaters are passive. Check the 3D Displays forum for more information.

2. You don't need the adapter for the PC.

3. Screen is not essential, but helps, as you lose a lot of light/brightness with the 3D technology (the glasses filtering out a large amount of light). Having a high gain screen brings improvement (not "3D": that may mean silver screen for passive 3D projection, which is not suitable in your case).

Good luck.
post #3 of 10 Old 05-06-2014, 11:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 61
The CyberLink website has a free downloadable 3D Advisor app that will look at your system and tell you what needs to be upgraded in order to play 3D Blu-Rays.

...Royce...

"I never drink...wine."
Bela Lugosi, DRACULA, 1931
post #4 of 10 Old 05-06-2014, 12:14 PM - Thread Starter

Hi,

Thanks to the both of you for this information.

Ian

post #5 of 10 Old 05-07-2014, 08:42 PM

Hi,
I recently started using 3D on my projector (k132) and it's great.. I had same intentions as you (no games, just 3D movies) and I bought HD6450 graphics card for that. It does a wonderful job playing 3D.

If you want cheaper graphics card, ATI's 5000 series also supports 3D, but 6000 series is recommended for various reasons(5000 series depends on your GPU as well as CPU for 3D processing), so go for that 6450 card.

Also, for glasses, make sure you buy the right ones as there are several types. I wanted my setup to be cheap hence I bought G-15 DLP active shutter glasses from ebay ($11.82 per glasses x3).

They are good for the price, yeah they are slightly dark tinted and sometimes in bright light their flicker is noticeable, but you don't think about it all when the 3D is on....

About the screen: As Roussi said earlier, it is not a necessity but if you've a good screen it is always going to help.

Regards,

tt

post #6 of 10 Old 05-09-2014, 12:45 AM - Thread Starter

Hi Tiny,

Thanks for the advice.  I ended up finding an ATI Radeon HD 7750 on Ebay for £37 delivered (around $62) so I think I have a bargain. It should be arriving today.  I am going to install that and the 3D capable firmware for the projector today. 

I have found some 3D glasses on Ebay for £12.99 delivered.  The item description says 'Universal 3D Optical Active Shutter DLP-LINK Glasses For Optoma 3D Projectors UK'.  I have contacted the seller to make sure they are compatible but I already have a feeling they will be.

I have also been looking at 100" High Gain Screens.  They are quite expensive and I think I will buy one at the end of the month.  My budget may only stretch up to around a 1.3 gain screen but I guess this will be better than projecting the image onto my matt white wall.

Can you please give me a brief description of how the 3D active glasses work?  Do they have an IR transmitter that plugs into the graphics card?

Thanks again, hopefully I will have it all up and running by the end of next week and I'm looking forward to it.

Ian

post #7 of 10 Old 05-09-2014, 11:41 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 21
The DLP-link glasses are synchronized by a white (or, in newer ones, red) ligh flash inserted between the frames by the DLP-link capable projector, which is blocked by the glasses' shutter. This is why the projected image looks washed-out (or pink) without the glasses, and with good blacks through the working glasses.

There is a light sensor on the glasses that catches the flash.

I've seen reports where this does not work properly in bright environment, as the sensor cannot filter the flash out of the background. A higher gain screen shold help with that too.

I've never had problems, but I always watch in the dark, due to the less bright 3D image.
post #8 of 10 Old 05-10-2014, 12:17 AM - Thread Starter

Hi Roussi,

Thanks for the reply.  I installed my new VTX3d Radeon HD 7750 and the catalyst control software yesterday.  I gather from other threads that I need to set the screen resolution to 1280x720 with a refresh rate of 120hz to be able to display stereoscopic 3d images through Cyberlink Power DVD 14 Ultra (which I already have installed on my HTPC).

However, the maximum refresh rate I can set at the minute using my LG 1080p TV (via an HDMI cable)  as a monitor is 60hz through both the Windows 7 Advanced Settings and the ATi Catalyst Control Centre.

Can you please advise me on how to enable the graphics card to 120hz?

Thankyou,

PS - These are the steps I have taken so far:-

1) Installed a new VTX3d Radeon HD 7750 graphics card and Catalyst Software

2) Installed Cyberlink PowerDVD 14 Ultra

3) Successfully Updated my Optoma HD65 with the 3D Firmware (which you can do using Windows 7 contrary to what it says on the Optoma website - for anyone else reading this thread - and I had a bit of pain with two missing dll files but I downloaded these and copied them to SysWOW64 because I am running a 64 bit version of windows).

4) I will be ordering a pair of 'Universal 3D Optical Active Shutter DLP-LINK Glasses For Optoma 3D Projectors UK' from Ebay today.

Once the glasses arrive I believe I will only need to get my graphics card working at a 120hz refresh rate.

If anyone can help me do this it will be greatly appreciated.

Ian

post #9 of 10 Old 05-11-2014, 01:36 AM

Hey,

The G-15 DLP projector glasses are good, not the best, but good. As I mentioned earlier, some flaws are there such as the noticeable flicker, cheap plastic make, somewhat smaller glass window. But for 3D beginners(such as myself) they are good and cheap enough to try the new feature on our projectors. They are not the long-term glasses for sure, but worth the price. Also they do have a light sensor placed between the two eyes (around the nose bridge). We can see the flicker change by placing a finger on it. ;)

And about the refresh rate,

Just set your projector as the primary display (or the only display) and it should work. The resolution will get switched to 1024x768 by default.

Regards,

tt

post #10 of 10 Old 05-15-2014, 04:26 AM - Thread Starter

Hi All,

I managed to get the 3D working on my Optoma HD65.  I'm very pleased with the results.  I haven't even tried the 3D out in the dark (which I am presuming will be even better at night time). 

Thanks to everyone on this forum who helped me.

For others wanting to know the steps I took are as follows:

1) Installed a new VTX3d Radeon HD 7750 graphics card and Catalyst Software

2) Installed Cyberlink PowerDVD 14 Ultra

3) Successfully Updated my Optoma HD65 with the 3D Firmware (which you can do using Windows 7 contrary to what it says on the Optoma website - for anyone else reading this thread - and I had a bit of pain with two missing dll files but I downloaded these and copied them to SysWOW64 because I am running a 64 bit version of windows).

4) I ordered a pair of 'Universal 3D Optical Active Shutter DLP-LINK Glasses For Optoma 3D Projectors UK' from Ebay.  When they arrived the box said they were G-15 DLP link glasses.  As TinyTheatre said they are good and he is right.

5) Download Custom Resolution Utility (CRU) by ToastyX and used it to create a custom EDID so I could set my new graphics card to 120hz at 1280 x 720 (720p).

6) Set my Optoma HD65 to go into DLP link 3D mode and watched Avatar 3D.

Thanks again to all those who helped me breathe new life into my projector.

Regards,

Ian

Reply 3D Tech Talk

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page