Active/Passive on LED/Plasma - Viewing Angles and Refresh Rates - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 07-12-2014, 11:59 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Active/Passive on LED/Plasma - Viewing Angles and Refresh Rates

I hope I'm asking this in the right section.

I'm looking at getting a new TV specifically for adding 3D viewing capability, and Active vs Passive and also LED-LCD vs Plasma look to be deciding factors. I understand how the respective technologies work, but am hoping to get some advice from people given the viewing habits I expect.

1. Off Axis Viewing
On occasion it may be necessary to view off the horizontal axis. In this case Plasma would be better for general 2D viewing angles, but in the case of viewing 3D content, is one 3D technology (ie passive vs active) better than the other? How much off axis viewing would each technology allow?

2. Head Tilt
A bit less important but may still be relevant. Which 3D technology allows for greater head tilt? I would have thought Active Shutter would make it so tilt didn't matter, and that passive would be more restrictive here as it is directly related to the interleaved horizontal fields, but I have read a comment indicating the opposite is true. Could someone explain this further, and how far a tilt each technology allows.

3. Crosstalk
If I get an Active TV I read that a Plasma is better than a LED-LCD for reducing crosstalk. Is this true?

4. Refresh Rates
Being that Active uses twice the refresh rate of Passive, does an Active display have a native refresh rate of 120Hz as opposed to 60Hz? I would have thought it would need to but specs generally list the interpolated rates as 600Hz subfield for Plasma and 240Hz for LED-LCD. So is the native refresh rate always 60Hz for an LED-LCD and 120Hz for a Plasma?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 07-14-2014, 11:30 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 23
I have both a passive and an active 3DTVs.

1. Does not matter for horizontal angle; as you note, the LCD vs. Plasma makes the major difference..

2. I have not noticed any negative effect from vertical angle offset for the plasma (down to 45 deg view while tinkering with the equipment below the tv). Obvious negative effect on the passive, with a just a few digrees off vertically. I have no explanation why and when it may be the opposite.

3. I have hardly noticed any cross-talk with both. If pressed, I would guess the plasma is a tad worse.

4. Effective refresh rate is 120 Hz (and I bet this is the maximum you can get for frame interpolation); the higher numbers are non-informative and refer to strobing backlight and other obscure technical characteristics (this is why it is always "240 Hz TV", and no reference to the actual vertical refresh rate which is only in the manual).
Reply 3D Tech Talk

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page