Forum Jump: 

Old 07-19-2014, 09:28 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
New guy pulling out my hair

Hey all. Names Ben.

I've searched and searched for the answer all over the net, but so far I've come up with nothing. Here's the details:

I just bought a new 3d TV. It's the sharp LC-60LE755U. My receiver is an older denon avr-788. (See the problem already?) I'm using my ps3 as a 3d player.

The first problem I encountered was the receiver would not pass the 3D signal. No audio, no visual, nothing. Black screen.

So I took the TV down and ran High speed HDMI cables from every input. My plan was to use the ARC to send the signal to the 788. Well come to find out, the 788 doesn't support the ARC. Whoopie. So no sound.

So I'm left pondering my options:

1: new receiver.
I know I know, it's time. But since I just bought the TV, I can't really drop the coin on a new unit. Plus I wouldn't really appreciate it anyway since most of my movie viewing is at night time and with the kids I can't turn it up real loud.

2: HDMI splitter.
Theoretically, I could get a powered splitter, run one out to the TV and one to the receiver input. But when I had the ps3 directly into the receiver before, I wouldn't even get audio out of it, and that has me wary. I may try it and return it if it doesn't work.

3: new dual output 3d player.
This has the same concern as option 2. And it's basically over killing the splitter idea. Unless there is some huge advantage to a new player, I can't see the point in doing this over the splitter.

4: run a digital optical cable from the TV out to the receiver input. This would work for sure, but I do NOT want to take the TV down again. I will if I have to, but id rather avoid it.

The only two sure fire solutions here are option 1 and option 4. Unless there is another thing I'm overlooking.

Thanks for helping!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-20-2014, 07:31 PM

Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked: 134
How about:

5: run a digital optical/coax cable from the BD player out to the receiver input. Is that not an option?

EDIT: Just read PS3 is the BD player. I believe PS3 has digital optical out, right? Send picture to TV via HDMI and audio to your receiver via toslink.
Old 07-21-2014, 06:19 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apostate View Post
How about:

5: run a digital optical/coax cable from the BD player out to the receiver input. Is that not an option?

EDIT: Just read PS3 is the BD player. I believe PS3 has digital optical out, right? Send picture to TV via HDMI and audio to your receiver via toslink.
Well for right now that's how I did it.

The only problem with this way is it won't play 7.1, only 5.1.
Old 07-21-2014, 04:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tackett1980 View Post
Hey all. Names Ben.

I've searched and searched for the answer all over the net, but so far I've come up with nothing. Here's the details:

I just bought a new 3d TV. It's the sharp LC-60LE755U. My receiver is an older denon avr-788. (See the problem already?) I'm using my ps3 as a 3d player.

The first problem I encountered was the receiver would not pass the 3D signal. No audio, no visual, nothing. Black screen.

So I took the TV down and ran High speed HDMI cables from every input. My plan was to use the ARC to send the signal to the 788. Well come to find out, the 788 doesn't support the ARC. Whoopie. So no sound.

So I'm left pondering my options:

1: new receiver.
I know I know, it's time. But since I just bought the TV, I can't really drop the coin on a new unit. Plus I wouldn't really appreciate it anyway since most of my movie viewing is at night time and with the kids I can't turn it up real loud.

2: HDMI splitter.
Theoretically, I could get a powered splitter, run one out to the TV and one to the receiver input. But when I had the ps3 directly into the receiver before, I wouldn't even get audio out of it, and that has me wary. I may try it and return it if it doesn't work.

3: new dual output 3d player.
This has the same concern as option 2. And it's basically over killing the splitter idea. Unless there is some huge advantage to a new player, I can't see the point in doing this over the splitter.

4: run a digital optical cable from the TV out to the receiver input. This would work for sure, but I do NOT want to take the TV down again. I will if I have to, but id rather avoid it.

The only two sure fire solutions here are option 1 and option 4. Unless there is another thing I'm overlooking.

Thanks for helping!
An HDMI splitter or switch will NOT work. Although you don't seem to have another display connected to the receiver, the 1.4 format audio in a 3D data stream can't be read and extracted by a 1.3 receiver-it's in a different part of the signal. So the audio has to be extracted somehow and then sent to the receiver for output. Splitters won't do that, but the dual-output 3D Blu-Ray players will. It's why they were created. Note that you will have to disconnect any HDMI cables between the receiver and TV when viewing 3D content, otherwise the BDP will "see" the same display at both outputs (the receiver copies the display EDID and passes it on to the source) and won't extract audio to 1.3 format.

...Royce...

"I never drink...wine."
Bela Lugosi, DRACULA, 1931