• 1 Post By BlackShark

post #1 of 7 Old 07-20-2014, 02:55 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Holograms

Hello everyone,

In the past few weeks, I read some news, on several webpages, about holograms.
The first one was about a new MIT rear projector technology that can simulate the movement of the holograms. Obviously this technology has a lot of limitations, and creates an image that isn't even comparable with an hologram, but it's an interesting effort if it is cheap enough to adopt at home, and has the advantage of being able to project an image with 4k quality from a HD source, and 3D glasses free.
(there is a thread about that here: Glasses Free 3D projector

But the reason that made me start this thread was the news about Ostendo's releasing an hologram projector to the market in the next year or in 2016.
(Ostendo's webpage have several links to news about it: http://ostendo.com/media.html)

So, do you guys think that is it even possible to make holograms like the ones you can see for example in movies like Star Wars?
Do you think holograms can be an improvement over the current screens?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 07-21-2014, 06:07 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 13
The press doesn't know what a hologram is, they call anything that looks 3D a hologram even though it has nothing to do with it.

One fact you need to know : images projected into thin air is IMPOSSIBLE : air is transparent, you need some kind of support to make the light visible. It can be a screen, it can be smoke, it can be a rotating frame, you can even ionize the air (but it's loud, so it is not practical), anything but transparent air.
So the cool holograms from movies like Star Wars or more recently Prometheus, where the picture floats nicely into thin air and people can move their hands into the picture or walk through the picture : NEVER.

As far as real holograms (with a screen), i haven't seen any hint of something being practical anywhere.
Besides there's no easy way to capture holographic content as the current tehcniques require a pitch black room with lasers as the only light sources and a very heavy and stable platform to attach everything to (like a few tons of concrete).

The content will have to be converted from traditional content (2D images or stereoscopic 3D) or holographic displays will remain marginal.
I think you will keep your stereoscopic 3D display with glasses for a while.

Passive 3D, forever !
My Full-HD dual-projector passive polarised 3D setup. (really out of date ! I need to update it some day...)

Last edited by BlackShark; 07-21-2014 at 06:13 AM.
post #3 of 7 Old 07-21-2014, 06:22 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackShark View Post
One fact you need to know : images projected into thin air is IMPOSSIBLE : air is transparent, you need some kind of support to make the light visible.
I thought the same as you, but take a look at this video.
post #4 of 7 Old 07-21-2014, 06:32 AM
Advanced Member

They ionize the air, the principle is well known, the implications too : it has to be in an isolated box (you can't allow people to put their hands in the picture or they'll get burns), and the laser at the source is very powerful (and dangerous).
I'm surprised at the lack of noise, previous videos i've seen from this type of technology in open air showed a lot of noise, maybe the protective box muffles it, or the video editor removed the audio.

Maybe you can do some impressive demos with such a system, but mass produce it and distribute it worldwide... quite tricky, the risk of misuse and accident is real. Sell it to consumers : way too dangerous.
CARTmen likes this.

Passive 3D, forever !
My Full-HD dual-projector passive polarised 3D setup. (really out of date ! I need to update it some day...)

post #5 of 7 Old 07-21-2014, 06:51 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackShark View Post
They ionize the air, the principle is well known, the implications too : it has to be in an isolated box (you can't allow people to put their hands in the picture or they'll get burns), and the laser at the source is very powerful (and dangerous).
I'm surprised at the lack of noise, previous videos i've seen from this type of technology in open air showed a lot of noise, maybe the protective box muffles it, or the video editor removed the audio.

Maybe you can do some impressive demos with such a system, but mass produce it and distribute it worldwide... quite tricky, the risk of misuse and accident is real. Sell it to consumers : way too dangerous.
Thanks for the information. It seems that in the news about holograms they always show how good they look, but they never talk about the disadvantages.
post #6 of 7 Old 07-31-2014, 05:22 PM - Thread Starter

Well another news about holograms. This is a different technology of the ones we talked before.

The link of the news is here: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencete...ANY-angle.html

And the video link is http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencete...-3700817112001

It's a very interesting news. The holograms technology is starting to become very interesting.

Another news from CNET also with video: http://www.cnet.com/news/help-me-obi...true-3d-video/

Last edited by CARTmen; 07-31-2014 at 05:27 PM.
post #7 of 7 Old 08-09-2014, 06:15 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CARTmen View Post
Well another news about holograms. This is a different technology of the ones we talked before.

The link of the news is here: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencete...ANY-angle.html

And the video link is http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencete...-3700817112001

It's a very interesting news. The holograms technology is starting to become very interesting.

Another news from CNET also with video: http://www.cnet.com/news/help-me-obi...true-3d-video/
The first videos are not showing much, but you can clearly see the trick on the last video.
This is a virtual cylindric display created by a rotating frame with lots of LEDs on it. It has been done many times before but probably not with such a fine definition.
Don't put your hands through it though...

Passive 3D, forever !

Reply 3D Tech Talk

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page