3D on Netflix? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 07-26-2014, 09:19 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
3D on Netflix?

Netflix has several movies they claim are 3D such as Oscar's Oasis 3D and AniMen: The Galactic Battle that is claimed to be "In stunning stereoscopic 3-D" but it looks like normal animation to me. Where is the 3D and how do I see it? Do I need a new 3D TV to play it? It's not 3D on the PC either and there aren't any 3D PC's as far as I know. It seems like a scam. Anyone know what's going on here?

Last edited by stevec50; 07-26-2014 at 09:31 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 07-27-2014, 07:39 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked: 129
Netflix 3D requires supported device and supported app on that device to play Netflix 3D. Otherwise those titles will just be normal 2D. I use a PS3 which supports the Netflix 3D. I have seen it also on a 65" Samsung 3D TV.

Not all 3D TV's and devices support it. There is a whole discussion thread on this in the 3D Content section but much of that thread is a debate on the personal opinions of whether Netflix is doing the right thing or whether Netflix will continue to do 3D. Not too much on technical or which devices support it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Don Landis
post #3 of 9 Old 07-28-2014, 03:28 PM - Thread Starter

So how do you find out what supports it? I've never seen anything saying that it does!
Maybe a better question though would be to ask what kind of 3D it is so I know what to look for. Do you know if it has a specification or at least a name?
>My 3D videos and more...
OK so how do you watch 3D on Youtube then?

Last edited by stevec50; 07-28-2014 at 03:40 PM.
post #4 of 9 Old 07-29-2014, 07:33 AM
AVS Club Gold

Steve-

I wish I knew of a list of supported hardware for Netflix 3D. I use a PS3 and it supports it. I know the newest Samsung 3D TV's also support Netflix 3D as well as several 3D BluRay Players.

You Tube 3D is much easier since YT has several settings you can set to watch. The lowest quality setting is anaglyph that can be viewed on any 2D screen plus a pair of colored glasses. But, if you have a 3D TV with a You Tube app, you can set the YT player for side by side and full screen, then put the TV in SBS mode manually ( a few will do that automatically) and put on your glasses and watch 3D.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Don Landis
post #5 of 9 Old 07-30-2014, 08:14 AM - Thread Starter

>You Tube 3D is much easier...
I don't agree, if I try to watch one of your Youtube 3D videos all I get are 2 small dim and fuzzy pictures side by side. I don't see why anyone would want to watch that! When I attempt to turn on 3D viewing in Chrome it displays an error message saying: "No HTML 5 3D Hardware Detected" but there's no such thing as far as I know and clicking the Options button doesn't do anything but refresh the screen! The whole thing seems like just a scam.
post #6 of 9 Old 07-30-2014, 09:10 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
No HTML 5 3D Hardware Detected
Sounds like you don't have 3D monitor. Which video on my site were you trying to view?

The Disney World of color is a 3D shoot of images projected in a spray of water so it has no level of sharpness.

Don Landis
post #7 of 9 Old 08-16-2014, 06:25 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Landis View Post
Sounds like you don't have 3D monitor. Which video on my site were you trying to view?
That's what you get with an ATI videocard for instance. But you can play youtube vids on "side by side" and let the tv do the 3D effect. At least I can do that with my pj.
post #8 of 9 Old 08-17-2014, 08:01 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by w1070hfr View Post
That's what you get with an ATI videocard for instance. But you can play youtube vids on "side by side" and let the tv do the 3D effect. At least I can do that with my pj.
Same here in the HT. I had some problems switching my projector to SBS with YT on the PS3, but I now use the YT app on a WDTV box and that makes life easier. I have a one button macro on my remote to switch the projector to SBS and another to switch it back.

Don Landis
post #9 of 9 Old 08-22-2014, 04:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Steve... it sounds like you are trying to watch 3D video on a non 3D capable device... this is akin to listening to a stereo or surround sound audio track using only a mono ear piece.

Monster Gold Plated Optical Cables:

Awesome user review: "Unreal quality. Sounded like I upgraded my speakers." :D
Reply 3D Tech Talk

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page