3D eye protection? - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 08-05-2014, 08:09 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
3D eye protection?

Hi guys, I am a benq w1080st user and really enjoy watching 3d content on it. The problem is I have completely stopped watching 3d lately due to the fact that it fatigue and irritates my eyes in a short period of time. I understand that active 3d is more harsh on the eyes than passive from an article I read recently. I also know about the proper left/right eye setting and that the wrong setting can make your eyes work harder and cause more strain... so I ruled that out. The two glasses I currently own are the Estar America and the Incredisonic & they both seem to be working fine as stated in the reviews. So basically I'm just a bit confused as to how other people are able to view 3d on this projector without too much trouble on their eyes... unless something is wrong with my eyes. My real question... is there anyway to protect your eyes from the flickering of the lcd in active glasses? Also I have an additional question for users of the w1080st... in a review it was praised for its excellent 3d performance & the reviewer said that almost no rainbows are present when viewing 3d, but for me its the opposite... I seem to notice more rainbows in 3d than normally... although the overall visual quality in 3d seems to be very good... thanks for your time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 08-05-2014, 09:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Ouch. Two things that bother some folks and not others-flicker and DLP rainbows-and you see them both. Double whammy. The odd thing is that DLPs are nearly universally praised for the quality of 3D they provide but you are having issues. I wonder if your PJ uses the triple-flash 144Hz mode when displaying 3D content.

...Royce...

"I never drink...wine."
Bela Lugosi, DRACULA, 1931

Last edited by Rolls-Royce; 08-05-2014 at 11:09 AM.
post #3 of 3 Old 08-07-2014, 04:35 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked: 54
The short throw BenQ projector W1080ST, and its sister projector W1070, both use triple flash 144Hz when being fed frame-packed 3D. I have found the 3D from BenQ W1070 to be particularly smooth. I find the 120Hz that most home 3D projectors provide to be a bit choppy and irritating. (However, the BenQ will operate at a left right alternation rate of only 120Hz or 100Hz with 60Hz side by side, or 50Hz side by side input.)

Public cinemas using the RealD system also use a 144Hz alternation rate.

Cbudz,
1. Are you feeding the projector frame-packed 3D from a Blu-ray player, as distinct from side by side from a pc?

2. How do you find 3D video in other situations? Such as at a public cinema, or with an active glasses flat panel TV?

3. Is the degree of eye strain you refer to similar with all 3D Blu-ray discs or have you found some titles more of a strain than others?

Sensitivity to the rainbow effect from the colour wheel depends on the individual. The BenQ W1070/80ST projectors do use a fast colour wheel (I can't remember the speed) and most people don't seem to be affected by it. I myself fortunately am not sensitive to it. (Though I am very sensitive to 3D flicker, which is why I much prefer the 144Hz alternation rate to the 120Hz of other devices.)

How about others watching your W1080ST when fed frame-packed 3D? Are they having issues? If they are, it is possible your projector is faulty.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply 3D Tech Talk
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page