Netflix 3D from PC to LG? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 08-24-2014, 08:34 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Netflix 3D from PC to LG?

I have an older LG3D TV, so no direct connection to Netflix. However, the PC I use to stream Netflix into it has a GEForce Nvidia card, so I can play many of my video games in 3D and they look awesome. I also stream Netflix into the LG TV.

So the question is, can I somehow watch a Netflix movie in 3D by streaming it from the PC to the LG? It would have to be in 3D to begin with, of course, Netflix (the company) says it offers that, but the conditions to do so are very precise, and as yet I have not been able to get the Netflix site on the PC to even say it is available on my PC.

Any success stories out there?

Thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 08-24-2014, 10:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 47
I haven't even gotten Netflix 3D to work on my PC at all, that's the only real barrier. It's like it refuses to acknowledge that my PC is 3D-capable. If you get that working, let me know.

That said, the image being exported from NVidia cards is effectively "pre-made" for the display it's connected to. If it's an active display, then it simply sends the alternating screens at 120Hz. If it's a passive display, then it sends an interleaved signal. Either way, what's going to the monitor is technically 2D, the TV/monitor won't recognize it as a 3D signal since it's not coming across as the original frame-packed source. So all you really need to do is get Netflix to recognize that you're 3D-capable and the graphics card will handle the rest. Just send it to the TV and off you go.

Now, if your computer monitor is an active display and your TV is passive (as LGs are wont to be), then you're in a bit of a pickle. AFAIK, there's no way to send a fully 3D frame-packed signal from a PC to a monitor at all. I have LG passive on both my TV and my computer monitor, so that's how I have my NVidia set up (there's a special workaround you have to do for passive), and it works fine because both monitors are identical. As far as NVidia's software is concerned, the only difference is the screen size.

Welcome to Rivendell, Mister Anderson.
post #3 of 3 Old 08-24-2014, 11:04 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 131
I haven't seen PC support for Netflix 3D. Only BD players and TVs.

S~

Please use the report post button to alert staff to problematic posts. Never quote or respond to them yourself
Reply 3D Tech Talk

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page