post #1 of 13 Old 08-27-2014, 11:07 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 244
Can't Get 3D from my HTPC

Hello, need some help here.

I have an HTPC connected in my theater with the following equipment.

Core i5
16gig Ram (DDR3)
Asus MB
Asus Nvidia GT640 Video Card (2gig version)
HDMI Out

AVR: Denon AVR-S9002
3D Projector: Epson 5030UB

The HTPC displays fine on the projector. Sound seems to be working just fine. However I can't actually get any 3D to engage. I've launched the Nvidia control panel and enabled stereoscopic 3D. I've ran the "setup test". I load 3D content into PowerDVD 14, hit the 3D button in PowerDVD, put my Epson projector into 3D mode and put on glasses but there isn't any actual 3D.

I tried to research on here, but it seems most people struggling have AMD video cards, not Nvidia. I read some about how the HTPC needed to output 120Hz. In the Nvidia control panel both 1920x1080 and 1280x720 are registered as "3D" resolutions, but neither show 120Hz capability. I've tried both of those resolutions without any success.

At this point I'm not trying any games in 3D, only Bluray rips. For actual Bluray discs, my PS3 is doing that fine and I also have a PS4 and Xbox One at my disposal.

What is the next step I should try, doing web searches isn't helping me too much.

"The Scuba Tank" thread
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

PSN/XBL : ScubaSteve2365
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 08-27-2014, 01:33 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 23
If you didn't try this already, the next step would be testing with the HTPC connected directly to the projector (without AVR).

And the correct AVR model is S900W, I presume.
post #3 of 13 Old 08-27-2014, 02:48 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 50
I believe the BR rips are your problem. You should convert them to an ISO using image burn then mount them to a virtual disc to play 3D with Power DVD.

Smart enough to know better, to old to care
post #4 of 13 Old 08-27-2014, 02:54 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roussi View Post
If you didn't try this already, the next step would be testing with the HTPC connected directly to the projector (without AVR).

And the correct AVR model is S900W, I presume.
Yes, the "W".

I can't test straight to projector until I procure an HDMI coupler, but will try when I can.

So basically, I'm not crazy. This all should just work? I usually don't have problems at a basic level with tech.
post #5 of 13 Old 08-27-2014, 03:01 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rekbones View Post
I believe the BR rips are your problem. You should convert them to an ISO using image burn then mount them to a virtual disc to play 3D with Power DVD.
Should have clarified. I have some in raw folders and some in .iso. The discs are playing back, I just can't get 3D.
post #6 of 13 Old 08-27-2014, 03:27 PM
Advanced Member

I have a gt640 card and 3D plays fine from a BR in the BR drive, or a mounted 3D iso file on a virtual drive using power DVD 10. The first time you have to manually select 1920 x 1080 24hz for the resolution in NVidia control panel, after that powerDVD will change to the correct resolution when it recognizes a 3D disc . I am assuming you set up 3D in NVidia control panel using your glasses and it worked.

post #7 of 13 Old 08-27-2014, 03:57 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I have a gt640 card and 3D plays fine from a BR in the BR drive, or a mounted 3D iso file on a virtual drive using power DVD 10. The first time you have to manually select 1920 x 1080 24hz for the resolution in NVidia control panel, after that powerDVD will change to the correct resolution when it recognizes a 3D disc . I am assuming you set up 3D in NVidia control panel using your glasses and it worked.
No. I ran the setup and saw the object but it wasn't in actual 3d. Granted I had my projector in 3d mode and had 3d glasses on but that object never had any actual 3d effect. Everything was flat.
post #8 of 13 Old 08-27-2014, 04:09 PM
Advanced Member

If the projectors 3D is set to Auto it should auto detect the frame packed 3D from your card and go into 3D just as it does from the PS3 ( If the PS3 is going through your receiver and working for 3D BR then the HTPC should do so also) if that's not the case then maybe your receiver is at fault. You definitely should see 3D in the NVidia 3D setup wizard so you have to solve that problem first.

post #9 of 13 Old 08-27-2014, 04:54 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
If the projectors 3D is set to Auto it should auto detect the frame packed 3D from your card and go into 3D just as it does from the PS3 ( If the PS3 is going through your receiver and working for 3D BR then the HTPC should do so also) if that's not the case then maybe your receiver is at fault. You definitely should see 3D in the NVidia 3D setup wizard so you have to solve that problem first.
I got further. I got actual 3D output now but it was the red/cyan type. I went into 3D display device with power DVD and tried all the options. Unfortunately it would not let me select the HDMI 1.4 3DTV 1080p 24Hz option. Said such a device wasn't detected. If that's the case and my AVR is blocking the proper identification of a suitable 3D device being detected what is the next step?
post #10 of 13 Old 08-27-2014, 05:12 PM
Advanced Member

Of course all components must be 1.4 compliant. The 5030 is, the GT640 is, I don't know about the AVR (I have a Denon avr1912 that is). All cables need to be HI Speed (no such thing as a 1.4 HDMI cable). When you run the NVidia 3D wizard does it fail and not detect a 3D display? You should see a graphic that displays triangles and squares and it asks you to close each eye to check for correct polarity.

post #11 of 13 Old 08-27-2014, 05:53 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Ok. I finally got the Nvidia test to work. Guess I needed some reboots and a few unicorn tears. The nvidia test showed 3d with good depth. Popped open powerDVD and the results are the same. I did notice that powerDVD let me choose the correct display type this time but it will not engage 3D. I also noticed that after opening powerDVD that my display output gets changed to 23Hz from 24Hz. I'm going to look into TMT or another piece of software. Are my options pretty much only powerDVD and TMT for full bluray 3D? I've ripped most things (non 3D) to mkv lately. What's the best approach for that in terms of playback?
post #12 of 13 Old 08-27-2014, 06:13 PM
Advanced Member

After you run the 3D wizard you should be able to go into NVidia control panel and change resolution. there should be two 3D resolutions on top of the normal resolutions, one is 1080 24hz and one is 760 60hz, select the 1080 24hz one and powerDVD should work. TMT and powerDVD are the most popular there is a third one from Coral (makers of Word Perfect) I believe all are paid software.

post #13 of 13 Old 08-30-2014, 05:44 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I just wanted to update this thread:

I installed TMT5 and 3D worked just fine, but I only got a downmixed to 2.1 PCM audio signal. I couldn't activate any options in TMT5 for any other audio. Eventually I ended up pulling up the task manager and saw that for some reason an instance of PowerDVD14 would run at start-up and that there'd be no window or any other active engagement for it. It was running completely hidden. Turns out, this is also why PowerDVD14 itself wouldn't run in 3D, as when I opened it I was technically opening a 2nd instance of it.

Anywho, I decided to get rid of PowerDVD14 since TMT5 seemed to work better for me. Unfortunately, even with PowerDVD14 uninstalled I could only get DTS bitstream. I'd prefer my the bitstream of DTSHD/TrueHD so that I know I'm getting the good audio.

"The Scuba Tank" thread
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

PSN/XBL : ScubaSteve2365
Reply 3D Tech Talk

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page