Optimizing 3Ds potential using Darbee Video Processors - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 3Likes
  • 2 Post By Paul H
  • 1 Post By TheUglyBad

post #1 of 24 Old 10-31-2014, 10:22 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Optimizing 3Ds potential using Darbee Video Processors

First I want to clarify that I personally haven't found benefits using a chain of Darbee Darblet's for 2D. For me, one-Darbee set @ 30 Hi Def, is sufficient for most veiwing.

Have now tested chains of up to four Darbee's which exhibit IMO, extremely impressive positive results from a project intended strictly for 3D viewing, using only Blu-ray 3D media with various 3D displays.

Tried a number of different settings and I'll just say the Darbee's order is extremely important where each unit, set differently, is placed in the chain.

Observation experiences: Recognizing noticeable solidity of volume with increased space separation, which I compare to real-world settings. The stereopsis has a normal feeling to the eyes, which I interpret as natural to the vision boundary. A pleasant feeling adding to the visually exciting moments.

Findings: IMO, a significant 3D visual improvement. Greater image boundary involvement that impresses, which is not there without the setup.

My latest opinion as to cause and effect: Suspecting that the significant illusion changes come from greater visibility of depth-cue's, made more apparent to the eyes, which are already subtly there in native live-action real-world captured images and in CGI creations that imbed the necessary information in the images. Analyzed from various equipment settings & order placement stages, it feels natural, not like artificial apparition creations. The 3D phenomena seems to follow natural recognizable pattern flows in the images dimensional detail. Instinct interprets this as "familiar" to me as real-world appearance and placement.

It's a great thrill for me, as a 3D enthusiast, because it produces positive results!
My wife and family tell me they appreciate the difference when the system is connected and turned on and I intend to entertain company with 3D movies with the current set-up during the holidays.

Artifacting is not visibly noticeable, I believe because all the units are set at very low settings, but the significant computational results become profound on the displays. Just my opinion.
Yodabutt and TheUglyBad like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 Old 11-07-2014, 07:44 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul H View Post
First I want to clarify that I personally haven't found benefits using a chain of Darbee Darblet's for 2D. For me, one-Darbee set @ 30 Hi Def, is sufficient for most veiwing.

Have now tested chains of up to four Darbee's which exhibit IMO, extremely impressive positive results from a project intended strictly for 3D viewing, using only Blu-ray 3D media with various 3D displays.

Tried a number of different settings and I'll just say the Darbee's order is extremely important where each unit, set differently, is placed in the chain.

Observation experiences: Recognizing noticeable solidity of volume with increased space separation, which I compare to real-world settings. The stereopsis has a normal feeling to the eyes, which I interpret as natural to the vision boundary. A pleasant feeling adding to the visually exciting moments.

Findings: IMO, a significant 3D visual improvement. Greater image boundary involvement that impresses, which is not there without the setup.

My latest opinion as to cause and effect: Suspecting that the significant illusion changes come from greater visibility of depth-cue's, made more apparent to the eyes, which are already subtly there in native live-action real-world captured images and in CGI creations that imbed the necessary information in the images. Analyzed from various equipment settings & order placement stages, it feels natural, not like artificial apparition creations. The 3D phenomena seems to follow natural recognizable pattern flows in the images dimensional detail. Instinct interprets this as "familiar" to me as real-world appearance and placement.

It's a great thrill for me, as a 3D enthusiast, because it produces positive results!
My wife and family tell me they appreciate the difference when the system is connected and turned on and I intend to entertain company with 3D movies with the current set-up during the holidays.

Artifacting is not visibly noticeable, I believe because all the units are set at very low settings, but the significant computational results become profound on the displays. Just my opinion.
So what are your 3d settings I use one darbee and have it at 15 full pop for 3d . Would love to know what your whole set-up is I love tweaking 3d I have found it can make a bigger difference with 3d. I use a dlp proj. And a lumagen mini along with the darbee and thats with a panasonic bluray player. Thanks for sharing I always wondered if moredarbees would make a difference. Thanks Jim
post #3 of 24 Old 11-07-2014, 09:47 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrek View Post
So what are your 3d settings I use one darbee and have it at 15 full pop for 3d . Would love to know what your whole set-up is I love tweaking 3d I have found it can make a bigger difference with 3d. I use a dlp proj. And a lumagen mini along with the darbee and thats with a panasonic bluray player. Thanks for sharing I always wondered if moredarbees would make a difference. Thanks Jim
At the moment I have two different on-going projects. One has a 4 Darbee-chain-setup using Oppo 103 with Panasonic VT25 Active 3D 65" display. The second setup has a 3 Darbee-chain with Oppo 103D (as-the-fourth-Darbee), with 3D OLED headset.

Illusional 3D plane separation with both setups become IMO, *extraordinarily real-world apparent. A binocular vision-good-perception-of-depth experience that gives recognizable satisfaction from Blu-ray 3Ds I've chosen to play. *( I use the word "extraordinarily" instead of "noticeably" in the first sentence of this paragraph because there is familiarity recognition taking place that this is how I see the view in the real world.)

Current setup-chains for both systems are similar: First-Unit (Darblet or 103D) set @ 30 Hi Def, Second-Unit (both Darblet's) set @ 30 Full Pop, Third Unit (both Darblet's) set @ 30 Game, Fourth Unit (both Darble's) set @ 30 Hi Def; and this seems to be important in end-placement (A setting of Hi Def at the beginning and Hi Def at the end of the chain), because it counteracts a particular intermittent noticeable artifact that sometimes develops with one live-action 3D movie with the VT25 plasma display, if it is placed in a different position.

Unit-chains connect with Monoprice 1ft 24AWG CL2 High Speed HDMI® With Ethernet Cable w_ Net Jacket - Black. Units plugin to power-up via one-switch - surge suppression bar per each setup.

Last edited by Paul H; 11-09-2014 at 08:45 PM.
post #4 of 24 Old 11-07-2014, 10:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Very intriguing idea!.... I may have to check out adding another Darbee and play around with settings also... I too am a big fan of home 3d on my 120 inch screen and would love to try anything that can further add to that immersion...
post #5 of 24 Old 11-10-2014, 08:46 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by deano86 View Post
Very intriguing idea!.... I may have to check out adding another Darbee and play around with settings also... I too am a big fan of home 3d on my 120 inch screen and would love to try anything that can further add to that immersion...
From the Darblet DVP-5000 FAQ page:
Quote:
Can I daisy-chain two or more Darblets in series? =What is the effect?

You can daisy-chain two or more Darblets and you will notice a compounding effect. Most likely you will use a reduced setting for each Darblet.
Over the weekend I performed a project to experiment on how many Darbee Darblet's it would take in  "daisy-chain" for maximum depth-cue enhancement possibility, having on-hand seven Darblet's from two different system setups.

Found that maximum visual results for reference quality benefits ends with the fourth Darblet unit when each unit is set @ 30 Full-Pop, for the "strongest depth and realism" that can be produced in a "daisy-chain".

Adding a 5th Darblet starts to introduce unwelcome characteristics. Examples of "unwelcome" visuals includes the intensity in facial blemishes which would normally look subtle if not invisible.  Individual skin-pores become visible on the face, where skin normally looks smooth, it starts to take on a rough look.  Freckles and moles become pronounced and prominent, especially darker blemishes.

Found that when adding a 6th Darbee Darblet in "daisy-chain" the system stops working.  No picture.
post #6 of 24 Old 11-10-2014, 10:05 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

1st system: Here is a picture of the 4 Darbee "daisy-chain" system behind Pasasonic VT25 3D 65" 3D Pasma TV:
(3 Darblets on the bottom, 1 on top of the picture)

[IMG][/IMG]

2nd system (4 DVP system) 3 Darblet's & Oppo 103D not shown: Coming from an Oppo 103D to a 3 Darbee "daisy-chain" and into a 3D Headset base (Headset is resting on base).

[IMG][/IMG]
post #7 of 24 Old 01-03-2015, 11:17 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Latest settings used to maximize visual 3D illusional effectiveness for 3D space separation and 3D image clarity from Blu-ray 3D media.

Results are the following:
Using a Chain of Four Darbee Darblets:
1st Darblet closest to 3D Blu-ray player: Full POP set to 35.
2nd Darblet set to High Def 35.
3rd Darblet set to Game 35.
4th Darblet set to Full POP 30.

1st Darblet gives a needed contrast boost that clarifies and visually accentuates the 3D illusion.

2nd Darblet boosts the over-all resolution quality necessary for clear visual recognition of the images that will continue as enhancement progresses down the chain.

The 3rd Darblet, set to Game 35 increases what I call depth cue image brightness at the pixel level, allowing the darkest scenes and illusional depth of 3D films such as "Fright Night" to be visible. It's the difference from missing character action and surroundings to seeing naturally and clear, intended detail. This is additionally verified as what is visibly evident in 2D versions. Night scenes and areas with no-lighting present, become noticeably visible and naturally evident.

The 4th Darblet closest to the display, set to Full Pop, seems to be the most essential unit. It makes the optimization worth the effort, viewed in-and-out of the screen.
The 4th unit is set to 30 for two basic reasons. First, it effectively eliminates visible artifacts that occasional can manifest randomly as image "edge-noise", introduced with higher 35 chain settings. Second, the 3D-image becomes immaculately clear and window-like as if all the units are set at the lower level of 30 and most importantly the 3D illusion becomes the most pronounced.
post #8 of 24 Old 02-15-2015, 03:01 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Latest visual tweaks for the Four Darblet unit chain.
Optimizing effective 3D detail perception for the following Blu-ray 3D titles:
"Live-Die-Repeat/Edge of Tomorrow 3D" (3D conversion)
"Hansel & Gretel Witch Hunters 3D" (native-3D)
Viewed on a Panasonic 65" plasma, model VT25.

Visual settings (when in a chain) that tweaks apparent smooth film-like features on faces and boundary edges:
Four Darbee Darblet chain:
1st Darblet closest to 3D Blu-ray player: High Def set to 20.
2nd Darblet set to Full Pop 30.
3rd Darblet set to Full Pop 35.
4th Darblet set to Game 30.

Noticeable affects when the units are in chain:
1st Darblet at low level (20) High Def adds film-like smoothness to details in the entire image, most noticeable on "Live-Die-Repeat/Edge of Tomorrow 3D" (3D conversion).

2nd Darblet Full Pop 30 - boosts (by my definition) "visible depth-cue detail" without noticeable artifacts.
i.e. Greater visual stereo difference in object appearance.

3rd Darblet Full Pop 35 compounds depth-cue detail visibility, optimizing visual stereo perception without adding noticeable artifacts.

4th Darblet Game @ 30 intensifies detail visibility in dark/night scenes, most noticeable in "Hansel & Gretel Witch Hunters 3D" (native-3D), that affects or boosts visual pixel illumination on detail in dark atmospheric situations on this plasma display.

Originally Posted by Retrofit on another forum site:
Quote:
Does it really matter if you use Game or Full Pop or Hi Def?

I thought these were quick presets. That is, if you tweak them, then it's just "Darbyvision" set to a certain level.
My findings point to yes, it definitely matters.
The ongoing experience finds that each setting has its own unique quality for enhancement found with all 3 settings, viewing repeated 3D scenes in a multitude of trials, changing the intensity on each unit and comparing the benefits to the borderline of visible artifacting and degradation.

Full Pop is useful for 3D intensity when consciously perceiving noticeable object distances.
A noticeable artifact when one unit is set too high produces unnaturally bright whiteness to eyes. Two units compounded at lower settings drastically reduces the side-affect and pleasingly makes the 3D illusion more apparent..

I find setting a Darblet unit to "Game" at low levels increases detail clarity in dark scenes. With the "Game" setting option, I no longer have issues viewing low light visual detail with 3D glasses, the detail now visibly apparent in a variety of different 3D movies.

A Darblet in the chain with a High-Def setting at a low level enhances the glassy mirror-like window image with improved clarity of detail with 3D Glasses on. Too much of an increase in the intensity and it adds unnatural edge roughness to features and increases artifact visibility from the other units in the chain.

Last edited by Paul H; 02-15-2015 at 03:20 PM.
post #9 of 24 Old 02-15-2015, 03:32 PM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Great read Paul!

I own 2 Darbee's but never chained them up, so far I use them on 2 different display devices. Your thread made me curious if I could get better results for 3D when chained up.

So far the Darbee in 2D doesn't do so good to me. I find myself disableing the Darbee in 2D a lot. Therefore I was thinking of selling one Darbee. But in 3D the Darbee does magic.

Before I rush out and get two extra Darbee's could you hint to get a postive effect in a 2 Darbee chain?

I watch 3D on a Epson 9100 projector at an 140ínch screen on an Oppo 93EU.
Paul H likes this.
post #10 of 24 Old 02-15-2015, 03:45 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheUglyBad View Post
Great read Paul!

I own 2 Darbee's but never chained them up, so far I use them on 2 different display devices. Your thread made me curious if I could get better results for 3D when chained up.

So far the Darbee in 2D doesn't do so good to me. I find myself disableing the Darbee in 2D a lot. Therefore I was thinking of selling one Darbee. But in 3D the Darbee does magic.

Before I rush out and get two extra Darbee's could you hint to get a postive effect in a 2 Darbee chain?

I watch 3D on a Epson 9100 projector at an 140ínch screen on an Oppo 93EU.
The excitement of the increased visual 3D intensity from chaining a 2nd Darblet, (both of them originally @ Full Pop mode settings) is what started me to investigate optimization benefits.
post #11 of 24 Old 02-15-2015, 03:57 PM

Full pop? I always thought you should stay away from that on 1080p material.

But what makes two Darbee's at 20% better then one at 40%? (sorry for the dumb question)
post #12 of 24 Old 02-15-2015, 04:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 616 Post(s)
Liked: 460
Interesting results!

I should note that the best way I found to increase a 3D film's believability and the quality of the 3D effect, is simply to use SVP or motion interpolation. This is the conclusion that Jackson came to with The Hobbit and James Cameron also said similar things. 3D is just more "solid" when the motion is smoother.

SVP won't work with 3D Bluray material that's in frame packed (all movies basically), but I expect that the results would be even better with frame packed 24hz than ripped SBS 24hz ---- 60hz SBS ---- projector. I wanted to try to get 120hz 1080p in 2D or 3D to my projector (60hz per eye), by forcing my HTPC to output in 420 YCbCr color which is the same bandwidth as 1080p / 60hz in 444 or RGB, but alas my projector is in the shop, and I can't figure out a way in my NVidia GTX 970 drivers to force 420 mode. You can select 422 but not 420. Although....422 should reduce the b/w by 33%, meaning you could get frame packed 3D at 40hz or so.

Probably best to just get a projector with FI and not worry about it though.
post #13 of 24 Old 02-15-2015, 04:11 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Full pop? I always thought you should stay away from that on 1080p material.

But what makes two Darbee's at 20% better then one at 40%? (sorry for the dumb question)
It's hard for an enthusiast to explain, but apparently Full Pop has the kind of algorithms needed for depth information in 2D images and each of the (left & right) 2D images, when seen in 3D, becomes more apparent as if you are looking at it in the real-world. An example would be that peoples heads now look more spherical. They take on a solid look with volume, like a sphere in 3D. Same as a ball as viewed in the real-world instead of a flatter circle on a 2D image. I'm calling it increased "3D intensity".

No dumb question here.
Increasing settings can cause the visibility of undesirable artifacts. Two units at lower settings keep the desired intensity (and in many instances greater) without visible artifacts..

Last edited by Paul H; 02-15-2015 at 04:23 PM.
post #14 of 24 Old 02-15-2015, 04:24 PM

Nice

I found postings of you on a different HT site where you was talking about Fright Night (2011). http://www.hometheaterforum.com/user...and/?tab=posts That movie was clearly too dark to enjoy. I had my Darbee at 45% Hidef at the time.

To start somewhere I will try the first Darbee at full-pop 35% and 2nd at gaming 35%. Hopefully I can get time to play later this day.
post #15 of 24 Old 02-16-2015, 10:46 AM

Last night I teamed up two Darbee's but at this moment I feel I have by far not really pushed potential.

What I am really battleing with is the remote. I found a Darbee is very sensitive in picking up IR signals I even tried wrapping a Darbee in a plastic bag with extra newspaper around it but still I can't seem to isolate it.

Pushing buttons manually is a pain as my projector is mounted to the ceiling and to reach the devices I have to stand on small kitchen steps.

Moving Darbee's to a different spot in the hmdi chain results in handshake issues and purple screen
post #16 of 24 Old 02-16-2015, 11:52 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Last night I teamed up two Darbee's but at this moment I feel I have by far not really pushed potential.

What I am really battleing with is the remote. I found a Darbee is very sensitive in picking up IR signals I even tried wrapping a Darbee in a plastic bag with extra newspaper around it but still I can't seem to isolate it.

Pushing buttons manually is a pain as my projector is mounted to the ceiling and to reach the devices I have to stand on small kitchen steps.

Moving Darbee's to a different spot in the hmdi chain results in handshake issues and purple screen
Understand your frustration with the remote. Forgot how hard it was at first for me to learn each buttons location and setting. Now doing it manually so often, I've memorized each place to put my hand in the dark. My seven remotes (two projects) are in a pile on a shelf. The only remote I can use that doesn't affect every unit is my Oppo 103D's remote for the processor in the player.
post #17 of 24 Old 02-19-2015, 10:53 AM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Question is, Did it make much of a difference to the onscreen 2d/3d image worth the extra £200 investment for me to buy a second darbee, or £600 investment if going down the 4 in a chain route??
post #18 of 24 Old 02-19-2015, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by imbloodyskint View Post
Question is, Did it make much of a difference to the onscreen 2d/3d image worth the extra £200 investment for me to buy a second darbee, or £600 investment if going down the 4 in a chain route??
No, to me I decided it's not worth it... Afters hours I decided to stick with 1 Darbee. I can see how another Darbee effects the video from the first Darbee but I got tired and couldn't find the energy to keep tweaking.

Unless Paul H can give me a set-and-forget setting for two Darbee's
post #19 of 24 Old 02-19-2015, 12:16 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
No, to me I decided it's not worth it... Afters hours I decided to stick with 1 Darbee. I can see how another Darbee effects the video from the first Darbee but I got tired and couldn't find the energy to keep tweaking.

Unless Paul H can give me a set-and-forget setting for two Darbee's
Sorry, Optimizing took me more than 2 Darblets for the Plasma. 2 Darblets gave me a positive visual thrill but eventually after a few 3D movies, it left me wanting more. To get the plasma's 3D as close to viewing 2D levels as I thought possible, like when viewing discrete-3D with my headset, I needed to further enhance the 3D image. The plasma always provided better pop-out illusional moments, but for a set-and-forget scenario, I had to add technology to fight 3D glasses brightness issues and stereo visual clarity that could satisfy me like it does in 2D mode.
post #20 of 24 Old 02-19-2015, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul H View Post
Sorry, Optimizing took me more than 2 Darblets for the Plasma. 2 Darblets gave me a positive visual thrill but eventually after a few 3D movies, it left me wanting more. To get the plasma's 3D as close to viewing 2D levels as I thought possible, like when viewing discrete-3D with my headset, I needed to further enhance the 3D image. The plasma always provided better pop-out illusional moments, but for a set-and-forget scenario, I had to add technology to fight 3D glasses brightness issues and stereo visual clarity that could satisfy me like it does in 2D mode.
I am using a projector, I am not sure in settings thats very different then plasma. If your able to pimp 3D glasses brightness and clarity then that is awesome.
post #21 of 24 Old 02-19-2015, 12:49 PM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I have astigmatism in both eyes so was hoping this would be a way for me to get better 3d effect because as of now I get abit of depth in the image with about 1 foot of pop out instead of the 6-8 foot of pop out my family and friends say they get from watching the same 3d movies.
post #22 of 24 Old 02-19-2015, 03:55 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
I am using a projector, I am not sure in settings thats very different then plasma. If your able to pimp 3D glasses brightness and clarity then that is awesome.
Agreed. Different displays likely need different kinds of adjustments.
For my 65" plasma my latest Four Darblet settings have produced stable 3D fidelity Detail. 3D is intense, clarity is visually comparable to 2D, dark scenes are visibly detailed.

The current settings have been good for several 3D Features:
Tested both of Hobbit 3D releases, Pacific Rim 3D, Life of Pi, Inferno, Hansel & Gretel: Witch Hunters, Fright Night 3D, Live Die Repeat, Dredd, Dark Country 3D, Coraline, The Bubble, Beowulf 3D, Amityville 3-D, Argento's Dracula 3-D, Goodbye to Language, The Book of Life, Planes: Fire & Rescue 3D.
Hope settings continue to be stable.
post #23 of 24 Old 02-19-2015, 04:15 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by imbloodyskint View Post
I have astigmatism in both eyes so was hoping this would be a way for me to get better 3d effect because as of now I get abit of depth in the image with about 1 foot of pop out instead of the 6-8 foot of pop out my family and friends say they get from watching the same 3d movies.
I'm speaking as a 3D enthusiast understanding that the pixels seem to be altered at the pixel-level by algorithms. Dimensional property's of 2D images are intensified, so maybe that can improve (help) the stereopsis function of the brain.

The process works differently than a sets display settings. For example increasing display contrast could lead to masking detail through blooming distortion. The Darblet increases detail visibility up to degradation levels without blooming.
post #24 of 24 Old 06-28-2015, 07:34 AM

Thanks Paul. I am using two darbee's with hidef 35% and pop 30% for a few months now and I appreciate the effect. Darker scenes benefit with this, especially when lighting is involved. Blacker can look deeper black.

Its hard to explain with my limited english but I really like it. I dont talk about my equipment but friends visiting are complimenting a lot asking i get a new projector or something
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply 3D Tech Talk