AVS Forum banner

Is anyone actually watching home 3D?

4K views 77 replies 47 participants last post by  rural scribe 
#1 ·
I find myself no longer worrying about finding a movie in 3d at the theater but what about you guys at home?

I have a 3d projector and glasses but the image is not bright enough and the glasses are annoying to wear on my existing glasses without "prescription 3d glasses" or me getting lasik.

I dont even buy the more expensive 3d version of the movie anymore.

Does anyone here really have a 3D "killer setup" that they are avid fans of?

#4 ·
I have a 3D setup at home.

I don't go to movie theaters to watch 3D movies. I wait to rent these movies in 3D. I don't watch them in 2D because I want to see them in 3D (unless post-converted, I always watch these in 2D)

But the problem is... I haven't rented anything since 2012, just can't be bothered.

I'm too cheap to buy 3D titles. $25 for a frikking movie? No way... Never watch anything more than once except Avatar, hypothetically would rather watch a movie once in a theater for $11 on a huge screen, than once for $25 at home on a 10x smaller one.

Bottom line: I never watch 3D movies at home. Other than renting a few titles from 3d bluray rental 2 years ago just when I got the PJ, I haven't watched a single new movie released post 2012.

So, I don't watch anything in movie theaters (missed so many great movies), I don't watch them at home. I can't get out of this loop.

#5 ·
I find myself no longer worrying about finding a movie in 3d at the theater but what about you guys at home?

I have a 3d projector and glasses but the image is not bright enough and the glasses are annoying to wear on my existing glasses without "prescription 3d glasses" or me getting lasik.

I dont even buy the more expensive 3d version of the movie anymore.

Does anyone here really have a 3D "killer setup" that they are avid fans of?

I am VERY pleased With my Budget setup..
I have a mede8er 800xd wich can even read 3d iso and avc and all files thrown at it, it can even convert fullhd to frame packaging 3D and many times i watch a 2D Movie in 3D because it gives me more Depth.
I have a DLP Benq projector, and Sainsonic 144hz active shutter glasses.
Of course the sound is just as important so i have a denon x4100 and full surround.

I dont go to the cinema as they have passive 3D setup wich gives a poor experience, my setup is way much better than my local cinema.

The only cinema to beat it gotta be an XPAND cinema wich uses active 3D glasses just as myself!

#6 ·
I for one love 3D and watch it at home on a regular bases. I also use a Teranex 3D processor to convert 2D into simulated 3D. This product is outstanding and is very close to post production 3D conversion.

That said, I agree the issue is having a system that does an excellent job of displaying 3D. I happen to have a Sim2 Super Lumis projector displaying on a 12 ft wide 2.35 ratio Stewart screen. The Sim2 triple flash produces the best 3D experience possible. Brightness is not an issue with this projector. I know cost is a strong factor, but since I love 3D, I put my efforts into saving up to make the purchase and I'm completely satisfied with my decision. I think if enough research is done, anyone can come up with a system that will work reasonable well and still be within their stated budget. :D

#7 ·
While I don't buy every 3D BluRay being released as I did a few years ago, I still do plenty of 3D viewing (Guardians of the Galaxy being the most recent). I watch on an active 63" plasma and a passive 55" LED and both sets give me a picture that is more than sufficiently bright enough to enjoy. The active shutter glasses can be a bit of a pain when they lose their charge but overall 3D is still a very important part of my home video viewing habits.

#8 ·
I'm just getting into 3D viewing at home and I love it! I've had a 3D TV for years, but only recently got the glasses as I replaced my dead Blu-ray player with a new one that is 3D compatible. The bug has bitten, and I'm planning to buy a projector to enjoy 3d and 2d movies on a big screen.

#10 ·
I generally prefer 3D to 2D in the theater-when available. I just got a Sony XBR-55 850B 4K set-and the 3D is gorgeous. Also-the current Sony's seem to do an excellent job of improving the image detail with upscaling. So far I've watched Avatar 3D and started The Hobbit part 1 3D extended last night-after seeing Part 3 in 3D IMAX HFR last night. The 3D is easily as good as what I saw in the the theater (same night).

#13 · (Edited)
I use an Epson 5020 on a 10' wide 16/9 screen. Epson glasses are RF not IR, and to me, they are very light weight. The screen is 1.3 gain, the projector is 2400 lumens - at the lens- for 3D. To me, this is quite bright enough. Is it as bright as a 2D image? No. Is it brighter then anything I've ever seen at a commercial theater? Absolutely! And yes, I do buy 3D movies if I think the movie is worth a damn. Unfortunately, I don't think too many of ANY movies are worth a damn.

#14 ·
I was watching 3D at home before it was cool. Green Yellow Text Line Font

Now using Mitsubishi DLP and XpanD active glasses fed from my PS3. Ghost free and more enjoyable than the theater.:cool:

#15 ·
I am really hoping for cost effective brighter 4k projectors with high quality 3D capability.

My theater is very challenging to achieve the needed brightness because of my crazy 160" screen at 14 ft view distance and 22ft throw distance.

At 12 feet on a screen that size, your eyes are nearly covered from corner to corner. The 3D effect is VERY impressive and immersive at that range... If only it was brighter!

#16 ·
I watch plenty of 3D at home, I really enjoy it. I go out of my way to buy 3D versions of movies, when available. I have around 50 3D blu ray titles so far in my collection.

I have a Sony XBR900A, which is a 4K passive set, and the 3D is amazing on this tv. I also have a Asus 120 Hz 3D computer monitor for my 3D PC gaming. I plan on getting an oculus rift when the consumer version comes out.

Yes, I am a 3D fan.

Reactions: old corps
#17 ·
I didn't care for 3D on a TV, I thought the image appeared too small and my wife had some cross talk issues. Not to mention the glasses for my Panasonic were far from comfortable. Since upgrading to a projector and a larger screen (92in) I've been much happier with 3D. It's a enjoyable experience in my theater, and it's something I am glad I can do.

#18 · (Edited)
I don't go to theaters. But when I did, I was not impressed with their 3D implementation. It has always been inferior to an active 3D TV.

If it has a 3D Blu-ray version available I always watch it in 3D.

Also, I do a lot of PC gaming in 3D these days. Most of the PC games I play now I try to get going in 3D. Only indie 2D titles / point and clicks I don't play in 3D. 3D is amazing for third person video games, racing games, and even first-person shooters, especially when combined with 4K resolution.

Now that I have a 4K TV with active 3D it really blows away the theaters. Around here at least, the theaters still have 2K screens.

My home television has four times the resolution of my local theaters. That is utterly pathetic. I'd rather watch 4K at home than watch some movie at a theater in 2K resolution blown up to a giant screen. It looks like garbage. Even if they get 4K projectors it's still probably going to look awful compared to my 4K in the home since I am now used to the high pixel density of a 4K TV. Movie theaters need 8K or higher resolution...

#19 ·
Dim images kill the 3D experience. I have an Epson 5030 projector shining on a 110" DaLite High Power screen with a gain of 2.8. Very bright and very enjoyable. I also use an LG passive LCD to edit my own 3D. Also very bright and engaging. But the pinnacle of home 3D for me is my LG OLED display. Even though it's only a 55" 1080p set, its perfect blacks and infinite contrast make for jaw-dropping 3D goodness. And if I sit with my eyes at the same height as the center of the screen, ghosting is virtually non-existent. Passive 3D on an OLED display is da-mega-bomb, and I can't wait to get my hands on a bigger screen 4K OLED. :D

#20 ·
Watch 3D Movies at theater, then buy on Blu-ray when they come out, have 110" with rf glasses & 65" DLP with Active... plus I have a Sony 3D camcorder & have everything from hunting to Las Vegas & CES captured in 3D. Also have 3D from 3net archived on EHDD's from DIRECTV.

#23 ·
I wasn't a fan of 3D because we weren't impressed with the 3D movies at the theater. Then we bought an 84" LG about a month ago. My nephew let us borrow some of his 3D movies and it was like looking through a portal into another world; I was hooked. Now I have 8 3D movies and am always looking for more. It's unfortunate that interest in 3D seems to be dying.

#24 ·
I really believe that the people who bad mouth 3D the most- including many clueless tech bloggers who write for tech journals- have never seen really GOOD 3D content on a really GOOD 3D display device. Unfortunately, when it was first rolled out, most of the displays were terrible and good 3D content was scarce. Now that's not the case if people do their due diligence. There are some really good display devices out there and some great content to watch on them, although there is a lot of real poor content as well.

I would suggest that for the 3D bashers out there, including many on this forum, try it again on with good hardware and content. You just might change your mind. If not, that's your loss!

#25 ·
If they con consistently produce 4500+ lunen projectors with good contrast ratio then 3d will be more home viable imo.

The image is simply too dark to enjoy in my theater without a much more expensive setup.

the tech is being developed so lets see if it becomes more viable before the public gives up on it entirely.

#26 ·
What size and gain screen are you using? My screen is 10' wide and is 1.3 gain. I'm using an Epson 5020 projector which is 2400 lumens and is generally quite adequate for 3D. In fact, it is usually brighter than the 3D in Comercial theaters. The projector was about $2,700. when I bought it. The current model is the 5030.

#27 ·
All my displays are 3D - Epson 5030 projector/HP 2.8 gain screen, LG LM7600 LCD (used for editing 3D) and LG EA9800 OLED. All are plenty bright for 3D. No commercial 3D theater that I've seen can match the 3D quality I have at home. I understand the theoretical advantages of commercial cinema, but practically speaking (and for all but the best commercial venues), it's easy to beat that experience with a modestly outfitted home theater. The GoldenEar speakers and OLED display in my home provide me with incredible picture and sound, and I can control almost everything about the experience.

Bright glasses-free 3D TV is right around the corner (relatively speaking), and so are James Cameron's Avatar sequels. It's too easy and too cheap to create 3D products for it to disappear. All we need is another multi-billion dollar Avatar, along with effortless 3D viewing, for Hollywood's short-sighted and memory-challenged money changers to rejoin the party.

#30 ·
I was big into 3D a few years ago. Made a mistake and got rid of my 3DA-1 for a VIP 3D Theater device. That killed it for me, too much flicker. The fun wore off, sold all my equipment. It was cool to play PS3 games in 3D now and then, but I don't really miss it now that I don't have 3D anymore. If my projector (non-3D) goes I'll probably replace it with a 3D model. Until then I am out of the 3D game :(

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.