3D signal won't pass through AVR - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 02-27-2015, 10:43 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
3D signal won't pass through AVR

First time poster on the forums so if I'm in the wrong spot, please point me in the right direction. This issue could logically be posted in numerous areas. I'm having a problem playing a 3D Blu-ray movie which is routed through my AVR and then out to the TV. Here are my components:

Panasonic DMP-BDT220 3D Blu-Ray Player
Pioneer VSX-823-K AVR (4K and 3D pass-through capable)
Samsung UN65HU8550 4K 3D TV

HDMI Cables: Mediabridge High Speed HDMI Cable with Ethernet (specifically states that they can handle "All 3D Display Formats")

Backstory: Had all connections working fine for non-3D blu-ray playback. Decided to try 3D with the only movie I have, Tron Legacy. Received error stating that either my player or TV is not 3D and this disc can not be played....ya da ya da. Connected Blu-ray player directly to TV with Mediabridge HDMI cable from above. Movie played fine with no problems. Began to think I needed another high speed HDMI cable to run from Blu-ray player to AVR (at the time I only had one from AVR to TV). Ordered second Mediabridge HDMI cable and connected from Blu-ray to AVR with 1st Mediabridge HDMI cable connected from AVR to TV. Back to receiving same error message as before.

Things I've tried: Turned off Deep Color on Blu-Ray player. Turned off HDMI Control on AVR. Adjusted various other settings I've read on this site and others to no avail. Firmware on Blu-ray player is up-to-date. Have never updated firmware on AVR as it is not network connected.

I know a potential solution would be to run HDMI directly to TV from Blu-ray and then do optical audio cable from player or TV to AVR. Outside of that work around, any thoughts on why this is not functioning properly? All suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance!

Jay
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 02-27-2015, 11:49 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 158 Post(s)
Liked: 48
You should try to update the firmware on your receiver and try again. I have the exact same blu-ray
player and never had any issue with commercial 3D disks playing on this and passing the 3D signal
via my Yamaha receiver on to the 3D TVs. Another thing to try would be to play a different 3D disk.
I don't have Tron Legacy so unable to test on mine.
post #3 of 8 Old 03-04-2015, 06:40 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by termite View Post
You should try to update the firmware on your receiver and try again. I have the exact same blu-ray
player and never had any issue with commercial 3D disks playing on this and passing the 3D signal
via my Yamaha receiver on to the 3D TVs. Another thing to try would be to play a different 3D disk.
I don't have Tron Legacy so unable to test on mine.

I was able to update the firmware on the receiver but still no joy. I know the movie isn't the problem because it plays fine when I bypass the receiver and go directly to the TV. I decided to stop pulling my hair out and simply keep the direct connection and add the optical audio cable from TV to receiver. This also helps for the Smart TV apps sound I don't have to keep messing with ARC and my Harmony remote. It's just frustrating that the receiver specifically states that it will pass through 3D and 4K but it appears it doesn't want to do the 3D. I don't believe it is a fault of the Blu-ray player but of the Pioneer VSX-823-K receiver. Thank you for your suggestions.

post #4 of 8 Old 03-16-2015, 10:23 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 77
I had the same problem with my receiver. I have a denon avr1911 that says it does 3d passthru - but it don't. I run the nvidia 3d vision in my theater from my htpc. Vid card to avr, avr to pj. This way works fine untill I try to do 3d. The comp says there's no 3d pj connected to the card. Apparently it can't see the pj thru the avr. I tried for months trying to get this stupid vid card to see the pj thru the avr but nothing worked. Tried ALL KINDS of stupid little in line gadgets to boost the edie, and just about any and everything else you could think of - nothing worked.

Finally, I just said eff it and ran the pj straight from the vid card and ran an optical out from the computer to the avr for the sound. That worked fine. Nvida says, the 'pj not visible to the card' problem, is absolutely the drivers fault. They know about it, they're aware of the problem and they're working on it. They say it should be fixed in an upcoming driver release. Did I mention they said this about 2 YEARS ago LOL Every few driver iterations I re-try it, just to see if anything has changed. Nothing has. Don't really even care anymore as the vid2pj/comp2avr setup works fantastically.
post #5 of 8 Old 03-18-2015, 05:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 319 Post(s)
Liked: 310
I have a Pioneer VSX-03 Elite which does not pass 3D.. I have a JVC projector with 3D emitter. I bought an HDMI splitter from Monoprice (3D,4K). Cameout of PS3 with HDMI--> Hooked up one hdmi to pj and the other hdmi to receiver. I get a beautiful 3D picture and AVR handles sound perfect, showing DTS-HD and Dolby True HD.. hope this helps

post #6 of 8 Old 03-19-2015, 01:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 501 Post(s)
Liked: 256
Quote:
Originally Posted by taxman48 View Post
I have a Pioneer VSX-03 Elite which does not pass 3D.. I have a JVC projector with 3D emitter. I bought an HDMI splitter from Monoprice (3D,4K). Cameout of PS3 with HDMI--> Hooked up one hdmi to pj and the other hdmi to receiver. I get a beautiful 3D picture and AVR handles sound perfect, showing DTS-HD and Dolby True HD.. hope this helps
Thats neat since the PS3 won't even output Dolby True HD with a 3D blue ray even with a receiver that supports it. DTS HD yes but PS3 doesn't support true HD with 3D. If you used a standalone BR player it also might not work as the PS3 only has HDMI 1.3 and only tests the EDID on setup not everytime you insert a BR as a standalone player does.

"Smart enough to know better, to old to care" ------ Dedicated Home Theater, Mitsubishi HC7900DW Projector, 110" 16:9 Jamestown screen with variable power masking for CIW 2.50:1 to 16:9, Marantz 7009 with 7.1.4 Atmos with Ohm mains,3 DIY Subs (2 15" (1 ported, 1 sealed and a 12" 4th order bandpass), 1 DIY butt kicker, Custom Built HTPC, 10TB DroboFS NAS
post #7 of 8 Old 04-23-2017, 07:29 PM

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Did anybody find a solution for this?
I have an SC-1522 that is also not passing 3D from a PS4.
post #8 of 8 Old 04-28-2017, 02:09 PM

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhawkeye14 View Post

Panasonic DMP-BDT220 3D Blu-Ray Player
Pioneer VSX-823-K AVR (4K and 3D pass-through capable)
Samsung UN65HU8550 4K 3D TV

HDMI Cables: Mediabridge High Speed HDMI Cable with Ethernet (specifically states that they can handle "All 3D Display Formats")

All suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance!
I don't know anything about your AVR.

That said, two things to try come to mind.

1) Try different HDMI connectors. If you have 4 HDMI inputs, try each of them in turn. If you have 2 HDMI outputs, try them too.
HDMI Input 1 - HDMI Output 1
HDMI Input 1 - HDMI Output 2
HDMI Input 2 - HDMI Output 1
(and so on )

2) Try turning on your equipment in different orders. Such as
- HDTV first, AVR second, Panasonic third
- AVR first, Panasonic second, HDTV last
- Panasonic first, AVR second, HDTV last
- etc

HDMI can have flaky handshaking.

Good luck!

Nothing in this posting/signature really means anything in the long run.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply 3D Tech Talk

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page