Is 3D processing about to revive itself? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
post #1 of 2 Old 07-04-2015, 11:08 PM - Thread Starter
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Is 3D processing about to revive itself?

I haven't been on here in a while, but it was always good to get on here, discuss some 3D technology available, and 3D content available. Ever since DIRECTV decided to discontinue their 3D channels, I haven't seen much content until now.

Recently, I purchased an Nvidia Shield Android TV, which I can use to stream games from my PC on the same network, stream games off the internet, stream videos, play videos from USB drives or from a media server, and all of this can be done in 4K. Since we are lacking 4K content, at least until they figure out the royalty situation, this is one of the reasons I bought it. Tonight, I ran across something interesting that Nvidia has put together, and I'm wondering if this technology has been around for a while and I've just never seen it, or if this is something new currently being worked on.

If you look at the sites I've listed below, it looks like Nvidia has made some changes in their 3D content. It used to be that if anyone wanted to use Nvidia's 3D Vision technology, you would need a special computer, special monitors (overpriced ones at that), special glasses, and some other special hardware, and then someone could take advantage of this technology. Now I'm seeing something called Nvidia 3DTV Play and 3DTV Live, which looks like it will allow someone to stream content to a 3D enabled TV (it could be games, movies, pictures, streaming video, etc), and not only can you stream this content in 2D, it's displayed on your TV in 3D and you can view the content with the glasses that came with the TV, not Nvidia's special 3D Vision glasses. Of course, someone would need to have one of Nvidia's Shield devices to hook up to the TV to stream to and render the 3D content, but it sounds like this can be done with any kind of content.

Is this something new, or is this something that's been around for a while but never caught on? Either way, it's new to me, but I'd like to find out if anyone has ever tried using this before. I thought about buying everything I would need for their 3D Vision setup, but all the required hardware made it much too expensive. If it can be done using a regular 3D enabled TV and a PC, I'm in. Please let me know if anyone has any input on this. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
post #2 of 2 Old 07-13-2015, 08:21 AM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
This has been around for a while. They were charging about $20 for the 3D TV Play functionality, don't know if they still do. It works nicely, basically just connect your PC to the TV or projector, and all software capable of rendering stuff in 3D just works.
Sponsored Links
Reply 3D Tech Talk

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page