Active 3D glasses - 4 models compared - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 15Likes
  • 10 Post By Stecchino
  • 1 Post By Stecchino
  • 2 Post By Stecchino
  • 2 Post By gene4ht

post #1 of 15 Old 12-19-2016, 10:44 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Active 3D glasses - 4 models compared

I am writing this as a help to anyone who is new to 3D movie watching or for others who just need to get some more glasses and wanted some comparisons.

The notion of finding the “best” active 3D glasses might be a pointless one. While I am not an expert on the technology itself, I am a huge and growing fan of 3D cinema () long may it live (and if you are a 3D cinema fan too, then keep seeing 3D movies and keep buying 3D Blu-rays). So, I do understand that the active 3D glasses tech is sophisticated enough that, at least in my opinion, you’ll like a certain style or design of 3D spectacles or you won’t. We are fortunate that these days, glasses that used to cost north of $125 per unit several years ago when 3D TVs were newer, can be had for much less.

I have four different models of 3D glasses for our home theater and just wanted to share my thoughts on each as I was able to compare.

• The models are:

• Epson ELPGS03

• Samsung SSG-5150GB

• 3ACTIVE by Dimensional Optics

• ValueView by Dimensional Optics

What they have in common:

Light passthrough.

None of these models appeared any darker to my eyes than another.

Picture quality.

This has far more to do with the display and video processing and of course the source material than the 3d glasses. Not all 3D is equally good, depending on the production design and implementation. I liken the active 3D glasses to HDTV over-the-air antennas. When those antennas first went mainstream in the mid 2000s it was awesome and a much-needed boost to the technology. They allowed the user to do less adjustments to the antenna in order to “improve” the signal. If you could simply receive the signal then you generally had a good signal. That’s what its like with these glasses. To my eyes all of the models had the same picture quality (i.e. colors, clarity of detail, etc.) and none suffered from any connectivity issues. I tested dark scenes from Gravity 3D, bright scenes from Avatar 3D, and detailed natural photography in slow motion from BBC Earth’s Enchanted Kingdom 3D. The picture quality and perceived resolution and coloring all looked the same to me. One’s eyes do take each set of specs a little different at first but after 30 seconds on your face, the image received by each of these sets, all else being constant, was equally pleasing to the eyes.

Weight and Comfort

They don’t weight exactly the same, but the different in weight is moot insofar as they are all equally comfortable enough for lengthy viewing.

Styling

While all of these glasses still handily beat the VR headsets like Oculus in the category of “remaining approachable and friendly while wearing”, I can confirm that they all equally impede any opportunity for face time. You might as well tell your spouse or significant other that they look great in movie light because you can’t see them anyway.

Where they differ:

• Peripheral coverage - some have more peripheral coverage than others, by design

• Overall lens size -

• Power source - rechargeable vs replaceable battery

• Storage

Epson ELPGS03

I acquired two of these when I bought my Epson Home Cinema 3500 (my current projector’s predecessor). These have worked great for over 1 year and remain my point of reference for home cinema 3D glasses. The lenses provide good enough coverage for a projected image large enough to fill your field of view. The frames have “medium” peripheral coverage.

What I like: Sturdy frame. Groovy nose pads, super comfy. Recharging cable included. Simple On/Off switch is superior to the push button design of others.

What I don’t like: no storage case included. Most expensive of the four models.

Samsung SSG-5150GB

Originally marketed for people who own Samsung 3D TVs, these work just fine with the transmitters in the RF projectors like Epson. They are the smallest of the bunch. Because they were cheap I picked up 1/2 dozen. Will I do it again? Probably not. Smallest lenses and least peripheral coverage.

What I liked: Cheap at the time (< $20 per unit), although now they are twice that much. For better or worse, they have the smallest lenses and least peripheral coverage. I believe this is because they are marketed at TV owners and the size of the typical TV image is not expected to be immersive enough to fill your field of view.

What I didn’t like: Overall build quality is the weakest of the group. They feel like one small step up from the passive glasses at your local cineplex. The batteries are replaceable, which some people will like. And the batteries are not expensive and you can buy them in bulk. But using batteries in these glasses is problematic because it’s hard to know how much charge there is in each pair. When you want to put on a movie for a group and you stuck swapping out a battery in a set that just died, it’s less than enjoyable. The battery cover is also flimsy and prone to accidentally over tightening. All that said, I will keep them all and use them when I have a large group.

3ACTIVE by Dimensional Optics

These are newer to me and so far so good. They are distributed by a California-based company who told me they co-designed them with a Chinese manufacturer and then import and distribute them (in the US anyway).

What I like: Feels sturdy to hold and wear, good build quality. Great isolation of the image in your view due having the greatest peripheral coverage of the group as well as the the largest lens area. Comes with a charging cable and a very nice padded storage case with a hard outer shell for protection. The storage case looks nice and is quite convenient to keep the charging cable, glasses, and wipe cloths all together.

What I don’t like: Due to having the most peripheral coverage it has the biggest “blind spot”. This is not a complaint but it’s a tradeoff. If you look around a lot because you’re either A) looking for snacks at an eye-level snack table -- which is a TOTALLY normal location for snacks…or B) trying to watch other people’s reactions to your favorite scenes or C) have an undiagnosed furtive glance syndrome issue...if you have any of these situations, then you notice the blind spot. But otherwise if you’re normal and just watch the content it’s not an issue and the peripheral blocking is nice.

ValueView by Dimensional Optics

These are also newer to me but so far so good. They are also distributed by the same company as the 3Active model.

What I like: Nice big lenses, only a tad smaller than the 3active lenses. These have smaller peripheral coverage but this might be better for some people and unlike the Samsung’s you have big lenses in front so your eyes are not fighting the distractions in all directions. The price: least expensive of the group. Comes with a nice slip case for storage and it's own charging cable. They have a more svelte appearance. If there are people who hesitate to watch a 3D movie based on the fact they have to "Wear a big thing", just give them one of these.

Update: the ValueView are also the most compatible wearing over top of eyeglasses. And do it quite nicely. Not possible with the sturdier but bulkier 3Active or Epson.

Other notes:

Test Gear:

3D Blu-Ray Player: Oppo UDP203

Screen: Silver Ticket 110” diagonal, White matte, 1.0 gain

Viewing distance: 9.5 feet (2.9 meters)

Receiver: Yamaha A3050

Projector: Epson 5040UB

Epson settings are all default except:

Color Mode: 3D Dynamic

3D Brightness: Low

Diagonal Screen Size (110 in to match my test screen size)

Power Consumption: High or Medium, alternating depending on source material
gene4ht, G-Rex, ndabunka and 7 others like this.

AVR | Yamaha RX-A3050 // Projection | Epson 5040UB // Speakers | Fluance XL series (7) SVS Subs (.2) Origin C62 (.4)

Last edited by Stecchino; 01-02-2017 at 09:28 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 12-19-2016, 11:02 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Quoted: 751 Post(s)
Liked: 628
Very nice comparison and review of those glasses Stecchino.
I'm not a newb to home theater but am when it comes to 3D and just now jumping in the shallow end.
Thanks to you and others who do such great comparisons like this, makes life less stressful for others.
Thank you!
post #3 of 15 Old 12-19-2016, 11:08 PM

I do have a question in general about charging the 3D glasses.
So far I just got a couple pair of the 3Active glasses and while they come with a charging cable, there is no charger.
They recommend charging them on USB input of a computer, which I find kind of odd.
I've seen someone mention somewhere that using the type of charger that you would use to charge a phone
may actually kill the 3D glasses. Is that true?

I actually have one of these...
https://www.amazon.com/Upgraded-Anke...SB35RY2YMV13XE
...and was wondering if it would work ok for charging the glasses.

post #4 of 15 Old 12-20-2016, 11:01 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smarty-pants View Post
I do have a question in general about charging the 3D glasses.
So far I just got a couple pair of the 3Active glasses and while they come with a charging cable, there is no charger.
They recommend charging them on USB input of a computer, which I find kind of odd.
I've seen someone mention somewhere that using the type of charger that you would use to charge a phone
may actually kill the 3D glasses. Is that true?

I actually have one of these...
https://www.amazon.com/Upgraded-Anke...SB35RY2YMV13XE
...and was wondering if it would work ok for charging the glasses.
I emailed Dimensional Optics and this was their response:

Quote:
You can use any powered USB charging port on a laptop, computer, TV, cell
phone charger, etc.

I use either a port on my laptop or a cell phone charger.

The battery will stop charging when the LED light on the glasses turns off.
We do not, however recommend leaving the glasses plugged in indefinitely.
Smarty-pants likes this.

AVR | Yamaha RX-A3050 // Projection | Epson 5040UB // Speakers | Fluance XL series (7) SVS Subs (.2) Origin C62 (.4)
post #5 of 15 Old 12-20-2016, 11:34 PM

^ Thanks! Much appreciated.
post #6 of 15 Old 12-27-2016, 12:35 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 17
post #7 of 15 Old 12-28-2016, 10:09 AM

Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked: 72
Thanks for this informative post on the those glasses.
Here's my set up and issue I am having and was hoping you could give some pointers
I am LONG time 3D fan. Have had MitsubishiDLP 3D DLPs for over 10 years and loved it, although there was never any pop 3D, I have never had ANY issues watching 3D content, never knew what crosstalk/ghosting meant or what it was... Until I recently bought the same projector as yours. I have the 5040UBE (first time in the PJ world) and using a Elite Screen 150" Aeon cinegrey 1.2 gain.

I was using the Mitsubishi Xpand 105. And for the first time ever, I noticed this crosstalk/ghosting issue. I was testing Transformers: Dark side of the Mood 3D blu ray.
I tried changing some settings to no avail. So then I thought fine, why not get the $100 Epson ELPGS03 (thinking since it's much larger thus having better internals and higher refresh rates, etc) and since it's from Epson it should work better with their projector. And still noticing the same ghosting. Some scenes when I go to the settings and changing depth to 0 helps while in other scenes ( I went to some bright scenes where the autobots are getting on a shuttle to leave earth) and the ghosting came back so I would go to the depth setting and either -1 or -2 and tried +1 or +2 and that would fix it for those scenes and others the ghosting would come back to the point that it was unwatchable

What are some recommendations to address this?

The main reason I bought this PJ with a 150" was for 3D content. I am a HUGE fan of 3D and only buy 3D blu rays and the movies that I already have from years past or that do not come in 3D I use my 3D bee device that upconverts 2D - 3D

Thanks!
post #8 of 15 Old 12-28-2016, 10:21 AM - Thread Starter

This came up on the 5040 owners thread too. I had upgraded from another Epson 3500 projector and I was expecting 3D to "just work" as seamlessly as it always had. However on the newer Epson 5040 there are more ways to tweak it it seems.

The single most important setting in my case (and some other people) was 3D Brightness and setting it to LOW. See the original post for the settings I use.

post #9 of 15 Old 01-02-2017, 09:22 PM - Thread Starter

After further continuous use I can add that when I'm not wearing eyeglasses, the 3Active are my overall favorite for the money and the Epson are great as well.

But when wearing eyeglasses the 3Active and for the most part the Epson are not compatible.

The solution is the ValueView. Since these have thin temples/end pieces, these can slide over top of or next to your eyeglasses. Whereas the 3Active have thick end pieces for the purpose of peripheral blocking.

The ValueView are very comfortable and compatible for anyone wearing glasses who wants to enjoy 3D cinema.
G-Rex and Garbarek like this.

post #10 of 15 Old 01-09-2017, 11:23 AM

Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stecchino View Post
After further continuous use I can add that when I'm not wearing eyeglasses, the 3Active are my overall favorite for the money and the Epson are great as well.

But when wearing eyeglasses the 3Active and for the most part the Epson are not compatible.

The solution is the ValueView. Since these have thin temples/end pieces, these can slide over top of or next to your eyeglasses. Whereas the 3Active have thick end pieces for the purpose of peripheral blocking.

The ValueView are very comfortable and compatible for anyone wearing glasses who wants to enjoy 3D cinema.
Are the ValueView glasses able to accommodate eyewear because they are wider? I have very big and wide head which makes finding active 3D glasses that are comfortable to wear damn hard.
post #11 of 15 Old 01-11-2017, 07:03 AM - Thread Starter

Active 3D glasses - 4 models compared

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaychatbonneau View Post
Are the ValueView glasses able to accommodate eyewear because they are wider? I have very big and wide head which makes finding active 3D glasses that are comfortable to wear damn hard.
I think it's not because they are wider but because the folding arms of the valueview model are thin and can slip over top of or next to the existing folding arms of your eyeglasses. The lenses of the ValueView are also nice and large and can cover most eyeglasses completely as well.

If you don't care about eyeglasses but just need something wide then I would try the 3Active.

Last edited by Stecchino; 01-11-2017 at 07:06 AM.
post #12 of 15 Old 01-18-2017, 08:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 996 Post(s)
Liked: 1028
Quote:
I think it's not because they are wider but because the folding arms of the valueview model are thin and can slip over top of or next to the existing folding arms of your eyeglasses. The lenses of the ValueView are also nice and large and can cover most eyeglasses completely as well.

If you don't care about eyeglasses but just need something wide then I would try the 3Active.
As a result of your review, I recently acquired both the 3Actives and the ValueViews. The majority of viewers among my friends and family wear eyeglasses and all preferred the ValueViews for their fit and comfort. Several friends who do not wear glasses also preferred the ValueViews for their lighter weight. Ultimately, I returned the 3Actives and now have six pair of the ValueViews.
G-Rex and Stecchino like this.

Epson: 5040UB | Elite: 115" Fixed Frame CinemaScope (2.35:1) | Onkyo: TX-NR636 (5.2.2) | Klipsch: RF-7 II's, RC-64 II, RS-62 II, RB-61 II MICCA: M-8C (Atmos) x 6 | SVS: PB16-Ultra x 2 | Philips: BDP7501, Panasonic: DMP UB900, Oppo: UDP-203
post #13 of 15 Old 01-20-2017, 05:51 AM - Thread Starter

Excellent. Long live 3D cinema!

post #14 of 15 Old 03-05-2017, 11:07 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 677 Post(s)
Liked: 428
Quote:

Excellent comparison report Stecchino! The only glasses missing from your review that appears popular (especially among Sony 5000ES owners) is the Hi-Shock, which I presume come in a bluetooth model). Have you or anyone had a chance to try the Hi-Shock?

Last edited by G-Rex; 03-05-2017 at 03:59 PM.
post #15 of 15 Old 06-24-2017, 09:10 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Can snap in replacement frame Ear pieces be found for Samsung SSG-5150GB 3D Glasses

[B]I was hoping someone might know where you might find snap in replacement frame Ear pieces for Samsung SSG-5150GB 3D Glasses.

We love 3D in our home and continue to support the 3D format.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply 3D Tech Talk

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page