3D problem on LG OLED TV - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 01-04-2017, 06:50 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
3D problem on LG OLED TV

I am very new to 3D, so bear with me... We just got a new 55" OLED TV (with 3d) and it's fantastic. We have only looked at two 3D movies, so experience is somewhat limited. However, last night (watching the second movie), we ran into something weird. The picture was never completely clean. In fact there was a section of the picture that was always blury. It was a strip of the picture in the right third of the screen, however the far right was pretty clear. In that section, closing either eye (with glasses on), I could see both projections that create the 3D effect. We went through the entire movie and it was like this all the way through. I tried some of the 3D settings on the TV, but I really didn't know what I was doing, and nothing was any better than the default settings. The TV even has a 3D picture test in the Setting section, and it had the same effect, so I know the issue is in the TV and not the DVD player.

Now, here's the weird part... This morning, I tried it again and it looks perfect! Everything is very clear all across the screen. I never thought of turning off everything last night to see if a re-boot would help. And I'm not sure if that's what caused it to start working or not. So, any suggestions or thoughts??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 01-12-2017, 06:16 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by JYtek View Post
I am very new to 3D, so bear with me... We just got a new 55" OLED TV (with 3d) and it's fantastic. We have only looked at two 3D movies, so experience is somewhat limited. However, last night (watching the second movie), we ran into something weird. The picture was never completely clean. In fact there was a section of the picture that was always blury. It was a strip of the picture in the right third of the screen, however the far right was pretty clear. In that section, closing either eye (with glasses on), I could see both projections that create the 3D effect. We went through the entire movie and it was like this all the way through. I tried some of the 3D settings on the TV, but I really didn't know what I was doing, and nothing was any better than the default settings. The TV even has a 3D picture test in the Setting section, and it had the same effect, so I know the issue is in the TV and not the DVD player.

Now, here's the weird part... This morning, I tried it again and it looks perfect! Everything is very clear all across the screen. I never thought of turning off everything last night to see if a re-boot would help. And I'm not sure if that's what caused it to start working or not. So, any suggestions or thoughts??
That's interesting. I just received delivery of a LG 65E6 (build 609, I understand this means built Sep 2016), and tried my first 3D movie last night, Pacific Rim.

Very impressive, but after a while I noticed top right hand corner of screen was blurred maybe 20% of screen, rest of screen crystal clear. Assume this is what they're calling 3D ghosting, had been reported earlier by some LG 2016 OLED owners. At first thought it might have been my viewing position or the movie, but seem to be localized to that portion of the screen continuously. Will be trying some other movies this weekend, and will try turning completely off to see if that makes a difference as it did for you.

Wondering what the solution was for the 2016 LG OLED owners that previously reported some 3D problems, haven't been able to find any more details? Did they get their screens replaced?
post #3 of 8 Old 01-13-2017, 11:20 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 365 Post(s)
Liked: 159
just to try to help out, are your tv's at eye level, or tilted down?

post #4 of 8 Old 01-15-2017, 06:28 PM

Thanks, sorry for late reply, busy weekend. For me, middle of screen is at eye level, and find when I stand up and look directly at the ghosting section it's fine, but then bottom of screen starts to ghost. Soft reboot on TV and have checked 4 blue rays now, all with the issue in that area of the screen. Found the 3D adjustments, and they help, but seems to vary depending on whether its foreground or background in the area. Winding up either depth to 13 or viewpoint to 3 will fix the background issue in some scenes but not others.
Tried combinations, but found that winding up the viewpoint makes In focus foreground objects less sharp, and leads to ghosting when the foreground moves to that part of the screen, so ended up with depth = 13 being the best compromise. Also found myself getting eye strain within about 10 minutes without making the adjustment, something I never experienced watching 3D on my passive Sony 55W800 TV.
Source was a relatively new PS4 slim, LG rep at store has suggested trying a different source, so I'll try with Xbox one s tonight. Also suggested a software update, though running the latest being offered automatically in Australia.
Just want to verify if people experience uniform 3D picture quality over the whole screen on the 65E6? Ever heard of an issue where just part of the screen has ghosting with middle of screen viewing?
post #5 of 8 Old 01-21-2017, 03:20 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
After doing a lot of research and experimenting, I found the cause of the strange screen. It's the angle of the 3d viewing. As I understand it, the vertical angle is extremely important and must be very near the center-line of the screen. That's hard for a lot of people to do, considering that many people mount their TVs up on the wall and do no tilt. Anyway, our TV is mounted in a floor cabinet that raises the TV as needed. That puts the TV just above eye level. So I made some spacers to put behind the TV to make it tilt downward to where we normally sit. That essentially fixed my problem, however every so often I still see a double image. Shifting slightly (usually upward) fixes that problem.

The other thing that is very important is the actual distance from the screen. If you are too far away, it can still give a little ghosting in some areas. If you are on the centerline of the TV and still seeing some ghosting, try moving up much closer to see if that helps.

I don't know if this problem is any different or worse with the OLED TV's or not. I just don't have much experience with 3D TV. I think I have my problem under control, but I guess time will tell.....
post #6 of 8 Old 06-19-2017, 02:30 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradmini View Post
Thanks, sorry for late reply, busy weekend. For me, middle of screen is at eye level, and find when I stand up and look directly at the ghosting section it's fine, but then bottom of screen starts to ghost. Soft reboot on TV and have checked 4 blue rays now, all with the issue in that area of the screen. Found the 3D adjustments, and they help, but seems to vary depending on whether its foreground or background in the area. Winding up either depth to 13 or viewpoint to 3 will fix the background issue in some scenes but not others.
Tried combinations, but found that winding up the viewpoint makes In focus foreground objects less sharp, and leads to ghosting when the foreground moves to that part of the screen, so ended up with depth = 13 being the best compromise. Also found myself getting eye strain within about 10 minutes without making the adjustment, something I never experienced watching 3D on my passive Sony 55W800 TV.
Source was a relatively new PS4 slim, LG rep at store has suggested trying a different source, so I'll try with Xbox one s tonight. Also suggested a software update, though running the latest being offered automatically in Australia.
Just want to verify if people experience uniform 3D picture quality over the whole screen on the 65E6? Ever heard of an issue where just part of the screen has ghosting with middle of screen viewing?
Did you ever find a solution to this? I'm having the exact same problem in the exact same location on mine...
post #7 of 8 Old 06-20-2017, 04:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leed818 View Post
Did you ever find a solution to this? I'm having the exact same problem in the exact same location on mine...
Although LG service rep came out and witnessed the problem, report came back from LG that the TV's 3D was "within spec". This was clearly a spurious response, appears they expected me to watch the TV from the driveway outside the lounge room.

Fortunately the retailer found another 65E6 for me to try in the shop, it did not have the issue and so they agreed to replace mine with the one I tried in the shop. Was definitely a faulty set, 3D on the new one was crystal clear all over, even off centre. I think it was probably a problem with filter application on the screen.

Unfortunately the colour on this one is not as good as the first one, had to set it to cool in all modes, however, really enjoying the 3D, buying 3D in preference to UHD while they last when I find them cheap.
post #8 of 8 Old 07-08-2017, 09:06 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Additional note for anyone else looking to find a solution to this. I was seeing the same issue last night when trying to watch Dredd on 3D. This being the first time that I was able to put 3D to the test. I found that on both my PS3 and PS4 it had major cross-talk and using the Auto setting would never get it right.

I then tried my old Samsung 6500 that is dieing and is rarely ever able to read a disc properly. When doing this there was 0 cross-talk and the 3D was just as good as it was on my old Samsung Active 3D TV.

I will still be doing more testing and try to take my receiver out of the loop as well but it seems very likely this is an issue with the PS3 and PS4 than anything else. I will update for those looking to find a solution.

*Update - I isolated both my PS3 and PS4 and the issue was still present. I will be getting the LG UP970 soon and will post another update to let everyone know if I have the same 3D issue with it. But so far it is player specific from all my testing.

*Latest Update - I finally figured out the problem, at least for me. Our seating position was too close to the TV. We were only a ~8' away while the minimum distance for a 55" TV with passive 3D on the curved screen requires you to sit at least 10' feet away. I found that 12" is the sweetspot One thing to note though is that my standalone BD player is better than the the PS3 and PS4 when the 3D depth is not massive. Cross-talk was reduced at all distances with the standalone player. I will be getting my UP970 today and will report on how well it handles 3D.

Last edited by raistline; 07-11-2017 at 06:05 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply 3D Tech Talk

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page